Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2Ad Engine Replacement Poll

anchorman

Has your engine been changed?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Has your engine been changed as a result of excessive oil consumption? TICK ANY THAT APPLY

• Yes as above
    • Yes as another reason
    • It failed completely
    • It was done to improve the situation (do not tick this and No 4)
    • I wish I didn't own a Toyota because of this problem
    • I know about the problem but it doesn't bother me.
    • I know about the problem and it does bother me
    • Would it stop you from buying a Toyota?
    • Would it stop you from buying even if you know the engine was changed?
    • Do you use any diesel you can get your hands on?
    • Do you use only high grade fuel?
    • Does a dealer service your car?
    • Dose an independent service your?
    • You service it.
  2. 2. What was the mileage when it was done? TICK ONE

• Up to 10,000
    • 10,001 to 20,000
    • 20,001 to 30,000
    • 30,001 to 40,000
    • 40,001 to 50,000
    • 50,001 to 60,000
    • 60,001 to 70,000
    • 70,001 to 80,000
    • 80,001 to 90,000
    • 90,001 to 100,000
    • Over 100,000
  3. 3. What year was your car when the engine was changed? TICK ONE

Not sure how well this works and if I've added the right number of options (I can only ask 3 question) so will ask again if something doesn't work out. You can reply to any applicable in Q1 but only one in Q2 and 3.

If you do the poll it would be helpful if you add a post that gives some background.

Example 1

My old car. It was a 2006 XT4 with about 20k on the clock. I sold it to a friend of a friend and it was working fine but always used about a litre of oil per 1000 miles from new. They were quite happy but didn't know about the warranty program until I contacted them and were interested in getting it done. RRG did the work and it also had 4 injectors and I think it had an EGR but couldn't be sure. It is now running fine, has done about 60k in total and uses no oil. The owner is extremely happy with the car and has no intentions of selling it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• CharlieFarlie

• Gods_gift

• blue monster

Don Where is the box for one or more replacements ??

Also consider that many of the "Replacement Owners seldom if ever come on here now.... Some came. Sought advice. Then hardly if ever come back...

How about a list to go with it ?? All the Owners past and present.. Plus the folk You and I have assisted in getting the replacements done ??

2006 T180 bought in December 2011, had problems with intermediate steering shaft clunking. The main dealer (Jag) i bought it from booked it into a toyota garage belonging to the same chain of dealers to be mended. Came out with a replacement engine due to coolant loss. Injectors replaced also, and also main steering shaft.

Well chuffed, great back up service from Toyota. Will be keeping miine for a long time to come and i won't be worried about the same happening.

If i knew of the problem before hand i may not have bought one, althoughi f i knew the engine had been replaced then maybe.

Used to use supermarket fuel, now i use Shell V-power or BP ultimate.

Done over 3000 miles now since the engine change, MPG is not as good as before replacement..

Only do 125 miles a week - Mon -Fri, so i try and take trips out to give the car a good run hopefully keep my DPNR tip top.

I for one am happy and actually enjoy driving again.....makes me happier knowing a new engine is revving away under the bonnet.

Wished i knew they were going to change it though, would have asked for the clutch to be replaced.

Can't resist mentioning even better minus runflats.

Tell You what is a factor young Donald ................. T180.........................................

Hey dudes

what about the likes of me who didnt have an engine replacement, only new pistons,head gasket, front exhaust?? So far its done 80k miles and is running great with no oil use between services. Hope i aint just jinxed it lol

I voted "no" as it's not been changed. But then seemed to need to tick a box in the mileage and age range before the vote would register?! Is that just me?

Dave

I voted "no" as it's not been changed. But then seemed to need to tick a box in the mileage and age range before the vote would register?! Is that just me?

Dave

same here

Can't vote as options don't really apply to me, but comment on Poll and other points ....

1) The 2.2AD issue WOULD put me off buying a Toyota fitted with an original engine within the age range where problems could manifest itself (so 2006-2010 I think?)

2) If the vehicle had a replacement engine under exchange programme, then that would take care of point #1

3) Personally I would not get a T180 (or SR180) due to the hassles of the RFT irrespective of engine situation

4) As far as a poll not being able to include those people with a replacement engine who have not come back to vote, what about all those people who have not voted as not forum members and have NOT had engine issues?

As this poll includes Yes and No options, it will end up giving a comprison of the same, not just a count of engine swaps, so it is equally fair or unfair to exclude either party.

End of the day, you can only poll people who see the poll.

Hey dudes

what about the likes of me who didnt have an engine replacement, only new pistons,head gasket, front exhaust?? So far its done 80k miles and is running great with no oil use between services. Hope i aint just jinxed it lol

Still counts as it would have been a replacement later on.....

For those that have had an engine rebuilt, just show it as an engine swap but add a post with the details like I did in number one.

Hi Charlie

In my first post I tried to give several examples (hence the line that says "example 1") but of course when I tried to add the data it said I'd already voted so I had to change the post to show the single one that I felt most relevant - my old one. Like you I know several but I only know some of them because of the problem. I know even more that don't have the problem and don't care about it so lets just see what comes out of the votes from those that do come on here. The limitations of the poll don't allow us to do much more.

Unfortunately it doesn't allow sub polls so I can't add my 2010 and whether it bothers me owning one. A reader of the results will only see the totals so if somebody owned a 2010 and was bothered it wouldn't necessarily read like that - you might think it was the owner of an older car that had voted.

It isn't perfect but it might prove interesting over the next few days.

Hey dudes

Charlie don't come out with comments like that it just makes you look bitter.

Hey dudes

Charlie don't come out with comments like that it just makes you look bitter.

I thought You knew Me better than that ??

What I simply meant was that if Seans car had been dealt with at a later date it would have been dealt with by way of a 3/4 engine replacement.... That was all !

OK I may be passionate about some subjects.. Enthusiastic even ? But bitter ??

Sorry Pal but that is just unfair.................................

Fair enough, my apologies.

Hi Don,

something is not working correctly with the poll. My engine was changed at 32k miles and it was a 2008 motor, this is not showing on the poll despite me filling it in correctly ( well - I hope I did!!!! ).

Problem history: I have tracked my fuel consumption since I first got the motor and was noticing that it was going down. Cleaned the EGR valve including stripping it down, this made very little if any difference. I had not really checked the oil consumption but I do know that I have bought 2 off 5 litre cans of Millers oil and a 25 litre drum of the Morris' oil that you use. It was only when the drum ran out at 32k that I realised that I had put 35 litres of oil in as top ups. I wrote a detailed letter to the dealer giving them all the figures and they phoned to say "bring it in". The engine was changed ( 3/4 engine ) with no fuss and very quickly. Full marks to them for their efforts.

Hi chaps,

Car owned 1 month, poverty spec 2.2 D4D on a '56, just clicked over 60k miles. I bought it from a main dealer who had sold and maintained it from new, had came in as a trade.

Because of my knowledge from this site, and a little from Honest John's, I feel I bought a car we wanted under considered risks. I was able to ask about the whole engine issue and had it confirmed it has received a 3/4 replacement around May last year. The dealer was willing to give a further 2 yr Toyota warranty (haggled, but they were happy to do it) which is ideal as we'll only have it for about two years.

After settling on a RAV when looking for a replacement for my aging Tribute, I looked at and considered a SR150 (car supermarket, no history reagrding engine issue so walked away) and a T180 (different main dealer but was put off by the run flats despite the engine issue "being sorted"). After reading Charlie's awful experience I think I dodged a bigger bullet leaving the T180 on the forecourt! My only gripe is we couldn't find a good deal on a XT5 or XTR t the time.

I'll let you know in good time if I've been foolish or not. :P

I've realised that the "no" option was a daft idea as we can't see the age scatter of the engines that have been done. Is the 2012 model applicable to those that have? (can the poster explain)

The "no" option has been removed so only vote if you have had an engine job please.

A figure that greatly interests Me Don is the percentage wise of how many of the Members on here have had replacements ??

So far We have ten... This does not include the Members who have had more than one...

I would like to know how many of Us have the 2.2 Diesel between 2006 and 2009 and had issues ? This of course does not include the later 150BHP engine.....

Not being very goos at studying the graphs in the poll ( Dyslexia sorry) I cant work out the average mileage which is another fact that really interests me ...

No "No" option?..............2006 T180 with 68,200 on the clock. Doesnt use any oil or coolant. C.a.t was replaced at 42,000 and EGR replaced at 46,000 with I believe is modified.. No problems since. Only run it on BP Ultimate or Shell V Power, dealer serviced. I clean the EGR twice a year, just after the summer and just after winter due to doing a lot of short runs.

Charlie

I agree that there are some things that will remain vague but that is down to the limitations of the poll. It only allows 3 questions and 20 sub questions so we can only see a general trend. For that reason I asked every voter to add a written description in addition to voting so we could try and pick up on this detail. If anyone hasn't it would be helpful if you can just give a brief scenario - warts and all. If you think its bad say so.

I know about the dyslexia and please don't worry. I have apparently a very common form of it where I transpose two letters so the might become the. I don't do it when writing so it beats me! I often spell things wrong because I am just clumsy and don't check but as long as we know roughly what is being said we can fill in the blanks. As far as the poll is concerned so far it would appear that the average age of the vehicles with engine changes are 2006/7 models which I expected, at 40-50k which I think you predicted but the rest is fairly low and even so a bit vague. Owners with engine changes or problems please vote.

Offroadster

That is why I pulled the no option but your explanation of your situation is valuable info. Thanks

No "No" option?..............2006 T180 with 68,200 on the clock. Doesnt use any oil or coolant. C.a.t was replaced at 42,000 and EGR replaced at 46,000 with I believe is modified.. No problems since. Only run it on BP Ultimate or Shell V Power, dealer serviced. I clean the EGR twice a year, just after the summer and just after winter due to doing a lot of short runs.

If You look at My post on page one I am trying to compile a list of those who have had problems and those who have not.... I will add Your name to the "Have nots"

I know about the dyslexia and please don't worry. I have apparently a very common form of it where I transpose two letters so the might become the. I don't do it when writing so it beats me! I often spell things wrong because I am just clumsy and don't check but as long as we know roughly what is being said we can fill in the blanks.

Very common, noD. It's otherwise known as Fat Finger Syndrome (or more usually, Fit Fengar Sundryme).

If it's any consolation it improves as you get older, i.e. arthritis or blindness prevents use of the keyboard!! :D

Bought my RAV in March 2007, new car. Had a few problems fixed under warranty - injectors, brake discs, handbrake cable, windscreen wiper stalk, one or two other minor things - but I still thought that the RAV4 fitted my requirements better than any other car, and I really like it. However, from an early stage we noticed that oil consumption was sometimes excessive (or what we considered to be). I learnt through the forum of the possibility of having a replacement engine; by then it had done nearly 70k miles. Tried the local dealer who said he would rebuild the engine if oil consumption was above the threshold set by Toyota. Another dealer offered to replace the engine, so we opted for the latter. They did a superb job and the engine is much better: quieter, smoother, more powerful, and a bit more economical. They also installed a new EGR and catalytic converter (if I have read the invoice right), and I had the clutch replaced at the price of the parts. I am really very pleased.

My car has always been maintained by main dealers (some better than others) and I only use branded fuel, i.e., not supermarket or other cheap stuff. I drive quite sedately.

So, three cheers for the forum, because without that I would not have had a clue about the problem or this marvellous solution.

Just how much we depend on the co-operation of our dealers is illustrated by my mother's case. She has an identical car which also drinks oil. Her dealer is dismissive (even when the oil light came on between services) and her circumstances (age and illness) prevent her from pursuing the matter (and in case you are wondering, I can't help her because she lives overseas). It seems that some people are at a distinct disadvantage, Toyota's excellent extended warranty policy nothwithstanding.

Ours in a 2008 T180 and we had the engine replaced at 41k due to excessive oil consumption at the start of November 2011. We have since racked up over 17k on the new motor with no issues what so ever and I have been running one of Kingo's chip kits the whole time so I/we have had some fun along the way :thumbsup:

I have only ever used Shell V-Power and have used nothing but Mobil 1 ESP oil since getting the new motor fitted.

Would I be put off buying another Toyota? No, I quite like the GT86 but it needs to have an extra 100 bhp or so before I would consider buying one :lol:, nothing to do with the engine replacement issue because the way that Toyota have dealt with issue this has been superb.

Tell You what is a factor young Donald ................. T180.........................................

How about a list of those that have been affected ?

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had replacements or rebuilds..........

CharlieFarlie

Crustyclam

Mistermena Rebuild X 2

Alex ( From near Me but cant remember his username)

Bluemonster

Doosan

Wardude Rebuild.

Dons old car.

Three five .

Dabooka

NMaria

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE NOT had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had no problems.......

Offroadster.

Big Kev

DJ Rav

I have personaly helped several people with replacements but feel it unfair to add the names to the list.. There are also numerous I cant remember the names of and a few who are in the process at this time........

Don if this is to off topic scrub it...

It would be interesting to add the build dates to your list Charlie.

How about a list of those that have been affected ?

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had replacements or rebuilds..........

CharlieFarlie

Crustyclam

Mistermena Rebuild X 2

Alex ( From near Me but cant remember his username)

Bluemonster

Doosan

Wardude Rebuild.

Dons old car.

Three five .

Dabooka

NMaria

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE NOT had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had no problems.......

Offroadster.

Big Kev

DJ Rav

I have personaly helped several people with replacements but feel it unfair to add the names to the list.. There are also numerous I cant remember the names of and a few who are in the process at this time........

Don if this is to off topic scrub it...

It would be interesting to add the build dates to your list Charlie.

Yes agree !! May need a little help from those both affected and unaffected as My memory is not that good.... I will try though...

I think it would be a very good thing to work out which cars are at a great or or not so great a risk ??