Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Current Drain High Of Battery When Parked.

sid1939

Hi,

Has anyone any thoughts on why my Battery is discharging just below one amp when the car (Avensis 07 model) is all closed up with nothing switched on i.e no boot light. The discharging current is also pulsing about twice a second.

I have trickle charged the Battery which has been discionnected from the car for 24 hours and have had the Battery drop tested which shows the battery being all OK. The alternater is charging well. The car runs all OK but I have noticed that on the mpg display it will read a consumption of say 40 mpg and then instantly jump to a very low consumption say 98mpg. Very erratic. Foot steady and on a flat road this happens.

It has been sugested to me that this may be a computer fault, if so would this account for the battery drain?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sid.

Sid, this kind of problem can be difficult to find. The best way is to attach an ammeter and start pulling fuses one by one until the current drops out. Whatever circuit that fuse powers will be the source of the problem.

Hello mate, this could be caused by a faulty diode in the alternator so if you can disconnect the wiring to the alterator and test again it may give you a possible answer but as junebug says it's not an easy fault to find.

Regards Pete.

Alternator would be my bet too, particularly as it is such a high drain

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi to you all ,

Many thanks for your replies. Some good ideas to work on.

Best Regards,

Sid.