Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traction Control And Reversing Uphill

rodw

Folks,

Just bought the following from a Toyota dealer:

2005 Toyota Rav 4 XT3 Vvti, 2 litre, 3 door, manual transmission

... I was assured that this was a 4 wheel drive version.

Have noticed 2 things:

1. Traction control lights do not come on when ignition is first switched on - do all 4WD models have traction control as manual says report to garage if these light do not come on briefly? Could this mean that it is not even 4WD? Have not mentioned this yet to the dealer.

2. When reversing uphill (with no load) it felt like the engine was going to explode with a stong acrid smell being produced. Have seen a very old post on this forum about this that talked about it being related to new materials being used in the clutch. Mentioned this to the dealer who acted surprised and quickly wanted to get off the phone! Is this just a "feature" of the RAV4's i.e. is it not worth me pressing the dealer on this one as there is nothing really they can do about it?

Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated. Only just bought this with a 3-month warranty - so want to get any issues like these settled now.

Regards

Rod

I think traction control (TRC) and stability control (VSC) were standard on the XT4, but not the XT3.

I agree with Steve, I believe its just ABS on the XT3 and the RAV clutch slips easily in reverse producing a horrible burning smell.

Best solution is to avoid any excess loads on the car in reverse (uphill is a load) or avoid/minimise slipping (easier said than done).

I have attached the 2004 sales brochure, I think the features on the 2005 XT3 were the same.

toyota_RAV4 brochure.pdf

Folks,

Many thanks to both of you ... that will stop me worrying.

Much appreciated and thanks for the brochure too.

Regards

Rod

Do you have a lock button, if right hand drive will be next to the steering on the center console to right of the radio?

What is the mileage of your car? As you have a warranty, and the clutch is maybe a bit dubious with a higher mileage car, you should get this looked at under warranty.

IMHO, modern non-asbestos clutches (of standard variety) just cannot be used in anger - and that particularly seems to apply to reversing up a sharp incline. Their tolerance of overheating is very poor, which the stench of burning glass- reinforced resin almost guaranteed.

I've come to the conclusion that if your driving is to involve towing, rescuing, or backing up on narrow tracks, then it has to be worth sourcing a decent HD clutch friction plate.

Does anyone have any experience of these (not necessarily "competition/boy-racer") items ?

Chris

You wouldn't want a competition clutch they are either on or off.