Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashing – Yes Or No?

Dark Matter

Am I the only one who flashes their headlight at other IQ drivers ?...... So far, after two months of ownership and quite a few flashes under my belt I have yet to receive a response.

Are we a miserable bunch? Or are my (childish) antics dismissed as the actions of a Looney?

This is mostly driven by the relative scarcity of the IQ on our roads. Having said that, a week ago I passed 6 IQs in a short 20 mile trip.

Well I say 6. In my excitement Number 5 may have been an Aygo (easy mistake) and number 6 was a SMART ( unforgivable).

I shall continue flashing - at least until I get one back. :D

I flash or wave depending how much time I have before the other IQ has gone by, and if I can reach the stalk in time if my hand is doing something else.....

I will continue to do so, and the way things are going it looks like IQ owners will be an increasingly exclusive breed, so we should acknowledge each other for being discerning car buyers.

I have always waved to owners of the same car, or motorcycle, as I have had as long as it something with character and not just a eurobox hack.

As a motorcyclist for many years, it was normal to raise a hand when any other bike passed, but I wonder if that is still the case.

John

I always get excited when I see an iQ, so far only 1 out of 5 I've seen is actually an iQ... Aygos look so alike from the front!!

Only once, Just joined a queue of traffic and a nice grey coloured iQ coming the other way waved out the window at me. I off course responded with a friendly wave and a smile but that is the only instance so far.

I too wave at most I see but haven't had any responses yet. The new Prius is pretty similar looking at the front too.

Craig.

I flash or wave depending how much time I have before the other IQ has gone by, and if I can reach the stalk in time ...........

I have to confess to saluting IQs with my windscreen washers a few times in the early days ........ :lol:

I always flash iQ owners. My best encounter so far was not by flashing but by 2 girls in an iQ that i passed on the inside of slow moving traffic. They caught me up and we wound down our windows down and they asked where i was going. A party i said and they said can we come. I had to decline them as my heart wouldnt take it. Lol

David

Another missed opportunity, one can but dream as to what might have been, zimmer frame allowing.

Do you think these girls might travel to Scotland, ever?

John

No matter what type of car I was driving I would understand headlights being flashed as a warning that something was amiss either with my car or on the road ahead (accident, speed trap or whatever) so I would be aware that I should be prepared to take remedial action if necessary.

The highway code cleaerly states flashing your headlights should ONLY be used as a warning to other road users.

Come on guys and girls catch yourself on many drivers today couldn't give a toot as the type of car that passes by after all not every driver is a petrol-heads.

The days when breakdown service men riding motorcycles with sidecars saluting oncoming drivers who displayed an appropraite Badge disappered in the 1950's.

................. disappered in the 1950's.

I appeared in the 1950's ........ so maybe that's where I got it from. :P

You are of course correct and one should be wary of giving off a confusing signals - but credit me with some intelligence I would never do it at a junction for example. However I think if someone coming the other way in an same (relatively rare) car as me flashed their lights at me I would get the "message".

True not every driver is a petrol head - but choosing an IQ does set you apart from the grey faceless eurobox masses - so other IQ drivers may appreciate a nod and wink towards their wise choice.

P.S - What does the Highway Code say about waving . I just want to know if Craggle is in trouble too.

Strange you should ask John, the ginger one had a Edinburgh accent.

David

I appeared in the 1950's ........ so maybe that's where I got it from. :P

You are of course correct and one should be wary of giving off a confusing signals - but credit me with some intelligence I would never do it at a junction for example. However I think if someone coming the other way in an same (relatively rare) car as me flashed their lights at me I would get the "message".

True not every driver is a petrol head - but choosing an IQ does set you apart from the grey faceless eurobox masses - so other IQ drivers may appreciate a nod and wink towards their wise choice.

P.S - What does the Highway Code say about waving . I just want to know if Craggle is in trouble too.

Or The Queen

David

Most (if not all) IQs flashed by me, when nearer seem to be drivers that would have purchased a Micra, had the dealer been nearer ;-))

Mind you, that could be said of me, if I did not return an acknowledgement to any on the forum.

Rgds

Most (if not all) IQs flashed by me, when nearer seem to be drivers that would have purchased a Micra, had the dealer been nearer ;-))

Mind you, that could be said of me, if I did not return an acknowledgement to any on the forum.

Rgds

Edit, It was a lot easier when I had the Caterham, I knew who was who. (Apart from the Westfields of course )

but choosing an IQ does set you apart from the grey faceless eurobox masses - so other IQ drivers may appreciate a nod and wink towards their wise choice.

Yes your car may be rare indeed.

I spotted another rare car it was a Renault Twizy and there were loads of passing motorists flashing their lights and tooting their horns whilst they were ubiking themselves laughing. Obviously not all people who like to be different have good taste eh!

Living in South London and driving a fair bit in central London I see a fair few, but most of them are driven by those that make me feel young at 40. ;)

You see one driven by someone younger, but they just dont seem interested, but then again the only way you'll see me is via the windscreen.... Gotta love those pimp tints. :D

Fish

All the other drivers of IQs in my area seem to be pensioners (That I have seen anyway)

I dont wave or anything anymore, havent done for 3 years! Noone waves at me anyway so its not like Im being grumpy!

I wont be driving mine much now as I recieved a comapny car on Friday, a 2012 Renault Megane Coupe. Actually quite nice but its diesel so completely new for me, Ive only ever driven petrol cars!

Flashing headlights here means a police checkpoint ahead.

I flash/wave but never get a response, even more worryingly in my time owning the iQ I've only seen one male driver, the rest are all older women...

Srangely, i have seen about 50 or so and all are men except one and the girles. They are used by small company's locally for estate agency work etc

David

And then there's me, a 20 something driving 80% within town and long distance.

Maybe because most of the younger drivers are going for the hot hatchbacks or muscles rather than like me, settle for 'sensible city car' with occasional long distance travel to see my parents. I don't feel like a plonker when I don't have to pay high insurance, road tax and the car suits me and my missus, where only 10% of our drive carries more than 1 passenger.

I've seen 3 iQs here in West Yorkshire. A couple of old ladies and one middle age gentlemen. iQ is definitely not a younger person car here.

A wave or a nod, fine.

Honking or Flashing randomly for stupid crap like this is a massive annoyance to me; It's the same as people honking and flashing because they've spotted a friend and are trying to get their attention. :angry:

This is not what the horn and lights are for.

Don't. Do. It. :nono:

........... stupid crap like this is a massive annoyance to me;

Maybe be iQ drivers are a pleasant bunch who like the camaraderie not enjoyed by Yaris drivers ;)

Srangely, i have seen about 50 or so and all are men except one and the girles. They are used by small company's locally for estate agency work etc David

I do somtimes wonder what demographic the iQ is aimed at. My experience most drivers seem older with their sights firmly on their wallet – me included.

Taking it into the city - I live near Bath a notorious one way maze of narrow streets - is a actually pleasure. This aspect of iQ ownership should really have been pivotal in promoting the car along with its innovative and clever design.

Toyota’s marketing of the iQ (such as it is) seems to focus on primarily 0% deals and not much on “lifestyle” choice and it being a trend setting car. The only nod to the young seem to be the rather sudden decals you can have applied. I’ve never seen an iQ with them fitted have you?

Toyota should have worked very very hard indeed to make the iQ a cult car among the young and trendy – (even older trendies like me!)

Think of all the great advertising for the Fiat 500. It projects, young, hip , cool, retro , funky and as a result you see them everywhere and a lot of young people driving them.

I do somtimes wonder what demographic the iQ is aimed at. My experience most drivers seem older with their sights firmly on their wallet – me included.

Taking it into the city - I live near Bath a notorious one way maze of narrow streets - is a actually pleasure. This aspect of iQ ownership should really have been pivotal in promoting the car along with its innovative and clever design.

Toyota’s marketing of the iQ (such as it is) seems to focus on primarily 0% deals and not much on “lifestyle” choice and it being a trend setting car. The only nod to the young seem to be the rather sudden decals you can have applied. I’ve never seen an iQ with them fitted have you?

Toyota should have worked very very hard indeed to make the iQ a cult car among the young and trendy – (even older trendies like me!)

Think of all the great advertising for the Fiat 500. It projects, young, hip , cool, retro , funky and as a result you see them everywhere and a lot of young people driving them.

The decals on offer just makes the car tacky in my opinion.

Have anyone seen any iQ TV advert? I haven't seen any lately, Fiat have been marketing and marketing - from efficiency to chic. Nick is absolutely right, they need to focus for the young who wants something fun.

When I head down to London at the start of Sept, I'll keep an eye out if there's many iQs... I mean, Congession charge-free, road tax-free, it's made for the city!