Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump Leak

flyboyprowler

My 2003 vvti auto came back from Mr T's service, 75000 miles with an advisory of a slight leak on the water pump and a worn accessory belt. First, are these DIY items, and second, is it better to use manufacturer parts, or are euro or jap parts as good, although MUCH cheaper!! :dontgetit:

Hey 100 posts--- Feel the power!!!!!!!!!!!!

With regards to accessory belts you can buy a Gates or Contitech belts for under £20. Contitech and GATES are OEM for Audi BMW etc. I personally use Contitech for all my cars and they have been fine.

Changing the belt is a reasonably easy DIY. You need to remove the front right wheel, plastic engine cover and then as one person compresses the tensioner , the other replaces the belt. You do not need the special tool as a socket and long breaker bar fits ok.

Note you will need significant force to compress the tensioner, I needed both hands to firmly hold the bar and stop the socket slipping off the tensioner.

With regards to the water pump it depends how slight the leak is, I would possibly be tempted to clean up any dried on coolant and then check in a few hundred miles. Some modern seals leak a tiny amount on startup which leaves a visible mark over 75000 miles.

If you need a water pump their are some good European OEM water pump makers that make compatible pumps eg HEPU SKF KWP.

Replacement.pdf

water pump installation.pdf

water pump removal.pdf

How much does Mr T want for the job now? £278 + vat including the belt and coolant made of gold back in 2008 at 36k miles.

My 2003 vvti auto came back from Mr T's service, 75000 miles with an advisory of a slight leak on the water pump and a worn accessory belt. First, are these DIY items, and second, is it better to use manufacturer parts, or are euro or jap parts as good, although MUCH cheaper!! :dontgetit:

Hey 100 posts--- Feel the power!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our 02 vvti auto's belt snapped at about 70K - !Removed! nuisance although it would have been much worse without Club Toyota. At least I had a set of replacement wheels within an hour. \it taught me a valuable lesson though & I had the belt on my 54-reg replaced at the last service just to avoid the inconvenience.

I've had water pump warnings on all three of our RAV's but only replaced one when the aux belt was renewed. I think that Toyota dealers use the old water pump scam the same way that "corroded brake pipes" are very popular come MoT time!!

The auxilliary belt on my 4.2 is due for a change now at 80,000 miles. If you shine a torch down at the inside 'ribs' of the belt and you can see little cracks in the surface, then it's time for a new one. Mine gives a bit of a whistley squeak when it's cold, but this fades away when it warms up.

Although not catastrophic for the engine if it snaps, it could lead to a totally flattened Battery if you don't pull over pretty sharpish. Mr T's price for a new belt, fitted? £118.

With regards to accessory belts you can buy a Gates or Contitech belts for under £20. Contitech and GATES are OEM for Audi BMW etc. I personally use Contitech for all my cars and they have been fine. Changing the belt is a reasonably easy DIY. You need to remove the front right wheel, plastic engine cover and then as one person compresses the tensioner , the other replaces the belt. You do not need the special tool as a socket and long breaker bar fits ok. Note you will need significant force to compress the tensioner, I needed both hands to firmly hold the bar and stop the socket slipping off the tensioner. With regards to the water pump it depends how slight the leak is, I would possibly be tempted to clean up any dried on coolant and then check in a few hundred miles. Some modern seals leak a tiny amount on startup which leaves a visible mark over 75000 miles. If you need a water pump their are some good European OEM water pump makers that make compatible pumps eg HEPU SKF KWP.
The auxilliary belt on my 4.2 is due for a change now at 80,000 miles. If you shine a torch down at the inside 'ribs' of the belt and you can see little cracks in the surface, then it's time for a new one. Mine gives a bit of a whistley squeak when it's cold, but this fades away when it warms up. Although not catastrophic for the engine if it snaps, it could lead to a totally flattened battery if you don't pull over pretty sharpish. Mr T's price for a new belt, fitted? £118.

Thanks very much for the help. Decision made, I am going to get Mr T to do the belt, as I am driving back to Spain on Wednesday, and the belt looks a little rough to me!! I will get a water pump next time I am home and fit that at my leisure. Need tt bite the bullet, and pay the price.

Sunny skies ahead,

Ainsley

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links