Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Speakers

Myles Taylor

Hi folks me again :lol: Does anybody know if the rear Speakers are any different to the front or whether they are powered differently as I seem to find them not as powerful as the front ones.

I ask this as I am planning on dropping some 6x9's in the back and wonder if I would be defeating the object if they were not powered sufficiently.

I like the sound system but i think it lacks depth, if you stick your head in the footwell it sounds amazing but not the best place to be driving from ha ha

Any clues folks as I really want more oomph but pennies are tight . Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I replaced the front Speakers with Alpine 220w 2-ways. Worth while upgrade and gives more clarity and bit more depth to my music. I have it on +2 to the front so the rears don't do much work. The rears are pathetic i agree but the audio centre said there is not much point as if balanced slightly to the front, the sound will be better, therefore cancelling the rears out a tad. You could upgrade the rears but I'm unsure what size they are sorry. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on the front:)

hi there,

myself and Marcandsebe have changed our TNS510 for a TNS350 mainly for traffic and road speed alert, but the bi-product of that is the sound system is far better than the 510 giving depth and clarity , quite an amazing difference. So it may be the limitation of the head unit, hence the JBL option which by-passes the final audio amps and deals with it at line level

David

Those of us without the satnav option are pretty much stuck with the head unit I guess?

Is the JBL optional speaker only for the satnav models or all iQ's?

Craig.

I replaced the front speakers with Alpine 220w 2-ways. Worth while upgrade and gives more clarity and bit more depth to my music. I have it on +2 to the front so the rears don't do much work. The rears are pathetic i agree but the audio centre said there is not much point as if balanced slightly to the front, the sound will be better, therefore cancelling the rears out a tad. You could upgrade the rears but I'm unsure what size they are sorry. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on the front:)

Hi Aaron

Do you happen to know what the part number was on your door speaker replacements?

I had a play on the way home today with higher than normal volume setting and changing the bass, treble settings and there is definitely something lacking from the standard system so wondered if the door speaker replacement is straight forward and makes a difference, I may well do it myself.

Cheers

Craig.

Looking at the box in my shed just now Craig, my new front Speakers are follows:

Alpine SXE-1750S.

280W, 2way component speaker system.

6-1/2" (16cm)

Well there you go :) the are about £40 I think and the company I used based in Falkirk only toke a hour or so. Sound is much better. Clarity and mid has improved and bit more depth/bass. I waited 2 weeks before putting the volume above +20 as the chap recommend doing so and after 10days the bass just literally came to life one day. There a good budget upgrade and still have to properly tune the sound but +2 front, +3 bass and +1 treble seems to sound impressive.

Hope this helps. Fitment wouldn't be difficult I would imagine

Thanks for looking in the garage Aaron, Might have to get a set and fit them as they look rather nice and not a bad price either. Might take the trim off the back Speakers and see if Alpine do one in the same series that will suit that position. Might help the overall effect.

Cheers

Craig.

If you do take off the rear let me know....as they'll be easy to fit Im guessing a clip out and in job.

If you look at Craig's PDF link to fitting the JBL system it shows how the rear panel's come out and the size of the speaker looks the same. Obviously a differently constructed speaker. But has the benefit of being mounted with 10mm bolts and nor riveted like the front ones. One word of warning when fitting larger ratted Speakers, especially with base ones, If you try to sink too much current on base peaks, it can destroy the output power modules in the radio/satnav. You may find you may well get less distortion and better clarity but not louder. the JBL system for instance, has a voltage inverter which increases the supply voltage from 12/13.8 nominal to around 40volts, giving a bigger audio signal swing increasing level and able to sink higher currents on base peaks.

David

Useful information David, thanks. I don't rage my sound system anyway, nothing above +35 but will take that into consideration as the sound at the moment is good.

Thanks for the replies and info folks I think I am gonna go the same route as aaronfife and try to just uprate the Speakers just try to keep the rms output as low as possible and hopefully with better quality Speakers the sound should improve. But this wont be until pennies allow . will update as I do though

THD (total harmonic distortion) at 70% level for the bridged ic's used in the output stage of the radio/satnav is 10% and to be fair i would say thats being generous The human ear can percieve distortion dowm to 0.001%. Just for info

David

THD (total harmonic distortion) at 70% level for the bridged ic's used in the output stage of the radio/satnav is 10% and to be fair i would say thats being generous The human ear can percieve distortion dowm to 0.001%. Just for info

David

What does this mean in simple text? Not many people understand the technical side of electricals - not me anyway :P

When you buy a piece of audio equipment from the highstreet shops they generally trick you with the figures quoting huge output levels. Something stating 50 watts peak music power in real terms is about 7watts rms which is what you are looking for. The way in which this 7 watts is derived lends itself to a % of distortion. The method is in class description. Class A is what you would hope for but only top end equipment and generally of lower powers around 30wats rms is available at high cost. Class A is a true representation of the original signal and offers low distortion. Car radio's ect generally use a "chip" module amplifier wich has 2 amplifiers on one chip, they are bridged together to increase the power output. Usually one amp amplifies one half of the signal and the other amp, the other half. The distortion occurss when you try to add the signal back together again. Depending on how well this is done gives various levels of distortion. Some broadcasting equipment offers 0,001 % distortion (studio equipment and transmitters). 10% has been regarded as the maximum people will tollerate and looking at the resulting signal on a oscilloscope it is awful but your brain filters out a lot of it and only really hears the content (depending on the music) some music now is purposley distorted and the brain copes with it. Personally i would say for me 1% distortion is the max but as usually the coggs of industry get away with murder.

David

Great explanation! Thanks. I never throw bass up too much as distortion is something I hate and hear like yourself. I bedroom dj and my bro djs in various clubs and pubs up my way and the amount of tuning you have to do to the clubs factory sound system before commencing is quite something!

There's a car that regularly passes my house, bass up full, whole car vibrating and you can hardly hear the actual vibe of the music due to extremely rubbish Speakers. Saying that, it's probably partly due to him not setting it up correctly or as you have described.

Cringe worthy :(

If you look here http://www.redsandsradio.co.uk It is a station I am studio engineer for a month each year as its on a restricted license. If you look at the gallery and "meet the team" you will see me in the studio and also this year I built a replica Radio 390 Studio from 1966 and we used it live on air on our opening day. The Garrard 301 turntables are the original one's i restored that came from the the old WW11 fort in the Thames Estuary when the Pirate station closed down in 1967. the station was opened this year by the senior presenter on the station in 1966 John Ross-Barnard.Here is one of the FM transmitters i design and build

David

post-109788-0-63656300-1344413355_thumb.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi there,

myself and Marcandsebe have changed our TNS510 for a TNS350 mainly for traffic and road speed alert, but the bi-product of that is the sound system is far better than the 510 giving depth and clarity , quite an amazing difference. So it may be the limitation of the head unit, hence the JBL option which by-passes the final audio amps and deals with it at line level

David

Yes I have to agree with David. The sound of the TNS350 is so much better than the TNS510. The radio especially is much clearer. I brought the TNS350 on eBay for £350 and sold the TNS510 today through eBay again for £410.

• 10 years later...

Just to re-ignite this one...has anyone replaced their rear Speakers....i came across a random forum that said that it was a very easy replacement...do the rears take a stock 5.25" size??

• Like 1