Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tunit Results

pikey009

I drove up to Tunit today after reading the review in Redline magazine and being pretty impressed. Got to say that the guys up there really impressed me, friendly and helpful explaining all the options. So I had the box fitted along with a k&n panel filter. The car didn't even need fine tuning it ran perfectly straight away. 

Now Running a healthy 205bhp 350lbsft! Makes for a very naughty ride now. There's reduced lag and a much smoother power delivery holding for longer. This is all on setting five which I'll run until I get used to it then maybe turn it up to 7 and see if there is a huge difference. 5 is the optimum setting though for Eco and performance. 

Also my mpg just on the 100mile home journey has improved by 4mpg. Overall I couldn't be happier and I opted for the 6month 0% finance deal which is brilliant.

Oh and it comes with a 1 year drive train warranty and three year unit warranty.

Thanks for the info, I've been looking at tuning boxes a lot recently and had discounted Tunit simply because of the price, but an interest free option makes it an affordable option.

I assume it was put on the rolling road during set up?

Does your box have the laptop tuning ability, and if so were you shown how to do it?

I bet it's much nicer to drive now! Do you know what power/torque your car was producing before the box was added?

Yeh they even do up to 4 years finance but anything over 6 months has interest which is fair enough. It's a top quality product and service. They even said that if I change to another diesel I can send the box back to them and theyll program it for the new car :)

Yeh it's so much more driveable now, you don't need to get on the power half way round a corner to counter the lag, it comes in a lot sooner. Whiped the floor with a tt 3.2 Quattro on the way back :) really want to go against a type r though.

Yeh before it was running around 170/290 so a little down but not too bad. We didnt turn the box above 5 just so the car can settle but Jamie told me that it'll run setting 7 perfectly fine. Nothing feels stressed either, if anything it's smoother and feels how the car should be. You don't have to go on the rolling road to be honest. You don't get access to the laptop tuning, they do it for you.

Thanks for the update.

Obviously I have to question the legitimacy of your 205bhp/350 lbft figures if they were not proven on a rolling road?

However, I know they are a reputable company and a mate of mine on here swears by them, so I may give them a call in the future.

I hesitate to say this dude but I'm also very dubious of those figures. There are a lot of mitagating factors here so bare with me.

I tried out a TDI-tuning box & had it rolling road tested at a performance centre in Aberdeen. The figures I got were at the wheel numbers - not at the flywheel so are probably more representative. On the optimum setting the unit came set on (mix of eco & performance) it achieved just under 150 whp & 277 lbs'ft of torque. For those that don't know, that's only under the standard manufacturers figures because they always quote power at the flywheel. There is approx a 15% discrepancy between flywheel & at wheel power, so my figures were about right for a standard car. Finding this disappointing, I moved the settings up a little & now have a better performing car which still achieves an average of 2 Mpg better than before. I have yet to put it back on the dyno to get accurate figs, but suspect around 175 whp/300 lbs'ft.

Although the tuning box has much higher settings to try out, I was warned that many people are finding a lot of soot coming out of the exhaust as a result (the regeneration ends up working overtime). As this will undoubtedly reduce the life of the cat, DPF & DMF I have decided to keep to a medium setting.

Horses for courses I guess ! :)

The figures were proven on a rolling road, it just didn't need fine tuning. Sorry I'm not always very clear with how I explain things ha ha. Tunit told me that a lot of other companies has attempted to replicate their box or make their own and the software and box just aren't up to scratch. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

Plus the feeling of the difference in how it performs now is miles apart from before and I like you guys was sceptical that I'd notice such a difference. They are emailing me the the print out so I'll post it up as I forgot it. I've had dealings with a few tuning companies over the years and hope I can spot a rubbish one when I see one now adays. There are a lot of people trying to sell you tat aren't there.

Also I forgot to mention that as I'm sure we all know, manufacturers like to "dress up" power and mpg figures when they sell a car so I feel you can always expect to be under power when on the rr. Your box probably improved on what you had and bought the figures up to the acclaimed ones. Tunit said they've never had an auris make is acclaimed power as standard but some of the audis make more so I think it mus be pot luck really. Like you said aswell that there are a lot of factors effecting the results, how good the airflow is, air temp etc. I can only go from my own Experience though :)

Yeah, you had confused me with your reply lol

So it was tested before and after on the rollers, and Tunit fine tuned the box with a laptop for you?

I know what you mean about the difference in how the car feels, and i'm a firm beleiver in experiencing that first hand above figures on paper.

All my previous cars have been remapped and the difference has been amazing, so i now use the 'feel' and responsiveness as the reason for encouraging others to remap a car, rather than giving figures that don't tell the full story.

I look forward to seeing the torque curve on your RR results as this will determine my decision.

Yeh before and after but not fine tuning. It didnt need it but jamie said take it out on the road and see how it feels rather than just looking at the figures so i did and it drives perfectly. The rolling road is extra money I think it was an hours labour. I agree it's not all about figures but if you tell someone how it drives the fire thing they ask for us figures and vice versa so thought I'd just give both lol.

I was against stuff like this before because i wasn't sure how good the results would be, as I'm sure you know it's ok having a headline figure but if it's full of flat spots and undriveable then there's no point. I had a motec m4 pro on my gt4 mapped my Adrian smith at Fensport, that was a nice piece of kit But wouldn't want to pay £1000 plus fitting again! Never believed in piggy back kits but I've got to say I can't fault this

Sadly the only option for us Toyota owners (with Denso ECU's) is a plug in box, or nothing at all.

What part of the country are you in?

If you were close enough i'd like to come and see yours for myself (if you don't mind) as I don't know many people with an SR180, and even fewer seem to have modified it in any way.

I live in Lincolnshire -east midlands and am based in north Yorkshire with the army, if youre close youre welcome to. I've always gone for cars what are a little rarer than others, I like that there aren't that many sr180s around.

I'm based in Gloucester (RAF) but live in West Mids.

If i'm ever up your way I will give you a shout on here and arrange a meet up.

My god, it's a funny old world. I'm ex-RAF & just been made redundant thanks to govt cut-backs. My old workplace (Kinloss) is now an army barracks ! Plus we all have SR180's ........ Talk about coincidence ..........

That is a coincidence!

Sorry to hear you were a victim of the cuts. I've managed to avoid them, but stuck in a rut where promotion is concerned.

Ha that is a coincidence isn't it. I'm wanting to fall in the next cuts as I've had enough and want to settle down. Not doing bad on promotion but just isn't the life for me anymore. Oh and we have the same colour car! Well not all three of us but still

I've got another 9 years to serve and will stick with it.

Can get in 9 tours and save some cash before it's time to leave, so i'm going to make the most of it.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm 90% certain that i'm going to get a Tunit box.

Just going to wait for the payout from my car accident in May, and also replace rear tyres and brakes all round to keep it in good order.

Yeh I see your point, I've got 12 left so am going to take redundancy if I can but not sure if I'll be ellegable. Ha yeh I'm definatly feeling I could do with a pad upgrade now with the extra pace. I don't think you'll regret getting one, you can tell it's a quality product and not some cheap piece of crap.

I've always thought the brakes on my Auris were a bit 'soggy' to be honest. But the car's going on for a major service in 2 weeks, so I've asked for a brake fluid change to be done too. Will be interesting to see if there's any difference in brake pedal feel.

As for the Tunit box, well it seems to be getting a general thumbs-up so far by those who've fitted them. Good to find a product that works as advertised :)

Yeh please let me know how you get on with the brakes after all that. I won't be upgrading to drilled/grooved etc as the feel is awful but still think I'll do the pads if I can find some decet ones. Yep it's a double thumbs up and a smilie face from me to Tunit and you're right it is nice to see a genuinely good product

• 2 weeks later...

Right i'm just about to post up the dyno graph, sorry for the delay as i've been away on holiday. Actually think the torque is slightly over 350. That's the only tiny gripe i have really have tat the graph doesnt really state the exact figures but it's fairly clear to see. Remember these are the optimum settings for performance and eco. I'm turning it right up tomorrow just to see what it's like :) but will then switch it back to the original setting.

The curves look very similar but there is no arguing with the improvements.

Thanks for the print out.

I think I understand now why your power figs are so high - looks like they're showing BHP figs, not WHP. In other words the readings have been taken from the crank or fly and not the wheels (which are always around 15% less due to transmission losses). Therefore my readings with the TDI tuning box are actually much closer to yours in reality. But either way, it's still an impressive improvement :)