Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Glass

Tech01

Quick question on a 2003 4.2: Are the headlight glasses (plastic) available as a replacement part, or only the complete light unit?

Chris

No, its a sealed unit but you can recover heat faded ones. We have a different problem here - rainwater in them!!!

I had the inside cap that covers the lightbulb broken off. Repairing it was not possible. I had to pay 520 € for an original headlight unit. So I replaced it with a "pirate" peace which costs 120 €. The only thing which had to be done was changing the motor inside the light unit.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, guys. That's what I suspected.

My plastic lamp-fronts have begun to look slightly yellow (but are still mirror-smooth). I have some multi-stage Turtle Wax "restorer", but doubt whether this will remedy the yellowing. What on earth was wrong with glass (apart from being a poor earner at the parts counter) ? It's interesting to note that the front fogs (which are glass) are perfect.

Chris

I ask myself the same question.

Why do so many Toyota models have plastic headlamp covers. It makes their cars not age very well.

I ask myself the same question.

Why do so many Toyota models have plastic headlamp covers. It makes their cars not age very well.

Lighter, cheaper, less likely to chip and safer in a collision.................................

True...but obviously not a view taken by other manufacturers.

True...but obviously not a view taken by other manufacturers.

I think you'll find it is. There are loads of marques running round with plastic lenses.

I think the large majority of Headlamps have plastic lenses and have had for quite a while. For one, it makes it a lot simpler to create designs that blend into the bonnet/wing shapes.