Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ice & Hsd Battery Display Segments

BassaJay

Being new to the world of Toyota HSDs I have a query with my recently released Yaris hybrid which I hope some experienced Prius/Auris owners can help clarify. With my new car stationary and on 'ready' I spent some time setting up and getting familiar with the sat nav, multimedia, bluetooth etc. When I had finally finished and powered off, the HSD Battery segments had dropped to 2 only, no doubt due to charging the auxillary Battery during that time. The engine had not fired up during that time. On restarting the car later on the cold engine cut in quickly and ran for a short time until the HSD Battery segments had reached 3 then it shut off. I deliberately remained stationary while the engine cut in to when it shut down just to see how long it would run for. I expected a cold engine to run longer for warm up and to provide more than 3 segments to the HSD battery's display. Is this a normal trait? Thanks in advance.

It is normal.

In the summer, the petrol engine only needs to run for a short time to warm up.

The petrol engine doesn't warm up to its full operating temperature unless you are moving. When stationary, it can run quite cold. I've seen the engine coolant temperature down in the low 40C to 45C range. If I recall correctly, the full operating temperature for my 1.5L engine is about 86C to 87C.

It is normal.

In the summer, the petrol engine only needs to run for a short time to warm up.

The petrol engine doesn't warm up to its full operating temperature unless you are moving. When stationary, it can run quite cold. I've seen the engine coolant temperature down in the low 40C to 45C range. If I recall correctly, the full operating temperature for my 1.5L engine is about 86C to 87C.

Yes I have just read similar on a USA forum site where they also state that the traction battery's minimum & maximum segments displayed on screen represent between 40% to 80% charged - meaning that when only a couple of segments are showing the Battery is in fact about 50% charged.

I prefer to call it a HV Battery. The HV reminds me that it is High Voltage:lol:

I feel more comfortable if the HV Battery is closer to 80% or at least displaying green bars than 40% although normally I don't notice unless it crosses my mind whilst driving and I usually check before switching off. Do all the HSD models with Touch displays have colour HV displays for Battery status and consumption graphs? (The early Gen 3s) took a bit of backwards step for the battery status with plasma thingie display.

I prefer to call it a HV battery. The HV reminds me that it is High Voltage:lol:

I feel more comfortable if the HV battery is closer to 80% or at least displaying green bars than 40% although normally I don't notice unless it crosses my mind whilst driving and I usually check before switching off. Do all the HSD models with Touch displays have colour HV displays for battery status and consumption graphs? (The early Gen 3s) took a bit of backwards step for the battery status with plasma thingie display.

This video shows it at 2.19 :-

Thanks. Makes a nice change to have something more intelligent than a talking speed camera advert. It feels like a corporate video? Did they really keep pronouncing eco as "echo"?

Did they really keep pronouncing eco as "echo"?

A 'resounding' yes :D

Just a quick tip the best way to get power in the "big" Battery is to use your brakes, thats free.

The engine will cost you fuel to charge the Battery hence it will only do it for a bar or two.

This will help to get the best from your Yaris:

http://prius3.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/tips-tricks-for-the-normal-driver-to-achieve-satisfying-fuel-efficiency-on-the-prius-gen-3/

Just a quick tip the best way to get power in the "big" battery is to use your brakes, thats free.

The engine will cost you fuel to charge the battery hence it will only do it for a bar or two.

This will help to get the best from your Yaris:

http://prius3.wordpr...he-prius-gen-3/

This US forum discussion re B mode is interesting, at least to a HSD novice

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/415634-b-mode.html

Apart from steepish decents it seems to work well when approaching and anticipating stops ahead at traffic lights etc. How do you seasoned HSD drivers use it ?

B mode is on really helpful if the re-gen braking on its own is not sufficient to slow your speed, i.e. on a steep long descent.

If you are in town or on the motorway just brake early and recover more energy to your main Battery.

Then you will re-use the energy when you pull away from the traffic lights.

AFAIR, the B mode tricks are more for the gen2. The gen3 (and Auris HSD) seems to have a lot of the tricks built in and it does a pretty good job if you leave it to its own devices.

There are loads of posts over on Prius Chat. Have a look for poster Ken from Japan.