Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0D Tuning Box

dervdave

Thinking about buying a tuning box for my 126bhp Verso either from DTUK £420 or Kingo £375 has anyone got or had one fitted to theirs and how did it feel.

I had a Golf 2.0 GTTDI remapped by a Superchips agent and you could tell the difference soon as it was started and it was really fast as ....

Thinking about buying a tuning box for my 126bhp Verso either from DTUK £420 or Kingo £375 has anyone got or had one fitted to theirs and how did it feel.

I had a Golf 2.0 GTTDI remapped by a Superchips agent and you could tell the difference soon as it was started and it was really fast as ....

Is this the new Verso? You need a multichannel box for that. Means a box that controls both fuelling and boost (minimum). Both of these boxes seem to do that and DTUKs box also reads the camshaft position sensor so they can control the fuelling and boost based on RPM.

There's a third option. TMC motorsport box. It is also a multichannel box like the others but it's a tad cheaper. Looks very close to DTUKs box. And they've gotten good reviews all over the net.

I've ordered this one to my QQ+2 so I'll be able to tell something about that in a week or so.

See : www.tmcmotorsport.com

I personally have experience with Kingos box on 2009 Avensis 126ps (same engine as the Verso). It worked perfectly on that. Not a single problem.

Cheaper boxes that only control fuelling don't work with Piezo electric injectors found on this engine. Those will cause the car to go into a limp mode.

Thanks for the reply but I really wanted a view on the improvements and how different the car actually felt. :)

Well at least the Avensis was a completely different car with the Kingos box.

The stock 126 is pretty lifeless to be honest. The boz improved the midrange the most. The car was much "lighter" to drive. Mainly because you could drive the car without needing to change to lower gear on every street corner like with stock.

Acceleration was pretty fierce especially on 3rd and 4th gear.

There was one negative also. The box increased the diesel clatter a little bit. Not much but so that you could hear it on city speeds with radio off :)

I would definetly buy a box to 126 again. The improvement was so big.

Well at least the Avensis was a completely different car with the Kingos box.

The stock 126 is pretty lifeless to be honest. The boz improved the midrange the most. The car was much "lighter" to drive. Mainly because you could drive the car without needing to change to lower gear on every street corner like with stock.

Acceleration was pretty fierce especially on 3rd and 4th gear.

There was one negative also. The box increased the diesel clatter a little bit. Not much but so that you could hear it on city speeds with radio off :)

I would definetly buy a box to 126 again. The improvement was so big.

Appreciated :thumbsup:

From one of my customer testimonials

"Thanks Kingo.....The car now goes like a stabbed rat!" :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

From one of my customer testimonials

"Thanks Kingo.....The car now goes like a stabbed rat!" :lol:

I notice theres no boxes on the list for a 2010 Verso 2.0d Kingo

Correct. The list has been revised a lot just recently, but I have been working at our other dealerships a lot over the last few weeks and need to revise it. We do one for it, I will be updating the site later in the month

Just PM me if you want to place an order

Correct. The list has been revised a lot just recently, but I have been working at our other dealerships a lot over the last few weeks and need to revise it. We do one for it, I will be updating the site later in the month

Just PM me if you want to place an order

Cheers :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

There's a third option. TMC motorsport box. It is also a multichannel box like the others but it's a tad cheaper. Looks very close to DTUKs box. And they've gotten good reviews all over the net.

I've ordered this one to my QQ+2 so I'll be able to tell something about that in a week or so.

Is the car fitted with the new box, hows it feel ?

Is the car fitted with the new box, hows it feel ?

Yes. I got the box about week ago.

Sorry. I meant to write about it here but wanted to make sure first that everything works like it should.

So first of all the build quality. This is a German engineered and manufactured around £380 box. It shows. The quality is near perfect. Everything is well built and finished and all the connectors are automotive approved.

Installation is quite easy to Qashqai at least. The box is connected to rail pressure, boost pressure and camshaft sensors. Installation with proper placing and tidying took about 20 minutes.

So how does it feel. Well my comparison is a sub £100 box that connects only to the rail pressure sensor. That also worked but I did not like the mule kick effect it caused as the extra power was delivered all at once.

With this box the power delivery is extremely smooth. With the camshaft sensor the box can deliver the fuel and air delivery based on the rpm. So it works exactly like a remap. With this method whem the car is idling the box does not inject any extra fuel and this way does not cause any extra strain to dpf.

First I was a bit disappointed as I thought there's no extra power as the mule kick was gone. But it wasn't. The power delivery starts from lower rpm and is VERY strong throughout the power band. For this car the tuned values are from 150hp -> 190hp and from 320Nm -> 378Nm and it sure feels like it. The car is very light to drive despite this is a big 4wd crossover.

I really do like this box. And I like the car even more with the box installed.

Contact Darren at TMC motorsport. He's a very helpful guy.

Excellent thanks, dunno what to do now buy this one or Kingos :unsure:

Excellent thanks, dunno what to do now buy this one or Kingos :unsure:

Not an easy choice.

It all depends on what you want. Both are top quality products and both work in similar fashion.

I don't know if Kingos box has gone through a development update and it also connects to camshaft sensor as the version I bought in 2009 did not have that connection. Only fuel rail and boost.

In my opinion the camshaft connection is one of the biggest differences and improvements. Without it it's impossible to adjust the power delivery reliably for the RPM range. And that makes the power delivery in TMCs box so smooth. I could even say silky smooth :)

Also the TMC box is adjustable, Kingos is not. Kingos customer support is better than TMCs. TMC is also good yes, but Kingo was just SO much better.

But again. Both work, both give considerable amount of extra hp and torque and both seem to have pretty much same figure for the extra oomph. Both even look the same. The tuning box design is identical. Kingos box is black and TMCs is orange.

If I would be in your situation knowing what I know now, it would not be any easier :) Both of the boxes are very very good. I would even go and say that they're the best out there at the moment.

I think both of these companies offer a 14 or 30 day trial period. During that you can return the box with no questions ask and get a full refund.

Did the boxes make much difference to the insurance premium ?

• 2 weeks later...

There is another tuning box option in the very good TUNIT piggy-back unit! I'm running 2 on my cars! Great results without any faults...

There is another tuning box option in the very good TUNIT piggy-back unit! I'm running 2 on my cars! Great results without any faults...

Cheers mate I`ll look into them, I still haven`t made my mind up :no:

Tunit box is Common rail sensor connection only. Remember that is a BIG NO NO with Piezo injector 126hp DPF Toyota diesel. And it's quite pricey.

I did stick my finger in one of these with my previous Avensis. Nothing but trouble trouble and trouble.

A certain MIL enabler.

You are aware that there's also a programming option available for this diesel engine?

Tunit box is Common rail sensor connection only. Remember that is a BIG NO NO

You are aware that there's also a programming option available for this diesel engine?

Cheers I didn`t know, who by ?

I don't know who does them in UK but there are many reputable tuning companies in Finland who do the 2.0 d4d piezo engine. It is considerably more expensive than normal remap though.

Normal remaps are around 400 euros, for Toyota it's around 800 euros.

My kits are fuel and boost. You only need cam position sensor on certain models of vehicle, none of the Toyota range need them

My kit is adjustable and I offer a 30 day MBG. They are a quality product, automotive connectors etc, and Im always here at the end of the phone if needed, more than can be said for the auction sellers who supply "one size fits all" types of kit which are errr..... :horse:

• 1 month later...

So have you made up your mind about the box?

I've now had the tmc box bolted on for a few weeks and still very very happy with it. I'm using the box on setting 8 out of 9. I did drive the car with setting 9 for some time but it was too spiky.

With 8 the power delivery is incredibly smooth and there is A LOT of it.

I can recommend this box but again I also can recommend the Parts-kings box.

With the box on my car now feels something that it should've felt like from the factory.

So have you made up your mind about the box?

No I bought a Hilux instead, I kept the Verso its only done 8k and too good to go :D