Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0D Tuning Box

dervdave

So? The Hilux also likes the extra power I'd presume :)

So so ?

Money doesn`t grow on trees ya know, the kits aren`t free and I haven`t won the lottery ! :balloon:

So? The Hilux also likes the extra power I'd presume :)

So so ?

Money doesn`t grow on trees ya know, the kits aren`t free and I haven`t won the lottery ! :balloon:

Yes, quite true.

And sorry, I did not mean to be rude, just ha ha funny :)

And sorry, I did not mean to be rude, just ha ha funny :)

No need for apologies my friend I didn`t think you rude, my reply was said `tongue in cheek` :flowers:

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I also would like to cheсk what happening with Tuning Boxes.

In Germany and Russia all praise Racechip http://www.racechip.de/en/chiptuning/toyota/verso/2-0-d-4d-93kw.php and HopaBox from Hopa Tec (costs 700€)

I'm looking for solution for my Verso 177ps D-Cat to reduce fuel consumption a little bit.

Would like to see some comparison.

Guys,

I also would like to cheсk what happening with Tuning Boxes.

In Germany and Russia all praise Racechip http://www.racechip....0-d-4d-93kw.php and HopaBox from Hopa Tec (costs 700€)

I'm looking for solution for my Verso 177ps D-Cat to reduce fuel consumption a little bit.

Would like to see some comparison.

From experience, Racechip sucks. Does not work with Piezo injector Toyotas and you can kiss your DPF goodbye after longer use.

Racechip only increases rail pressure with constant correction factor. So from idle to rev limit it's the same increase. Not good. As the boost is not increased like with Kingos chip, it will overfuel the engine and eventually it will clog the DPF and D-CAT system.

Ummmm!!!....

I've been very happy with the Tunit boxes that I have on my VW and Toyota. Never had any problems at all. Not sure whats being said about re-maps as to date no one has been able to crack the Denso units!...

Ummmm!!!....

I've been very happy with the Tunit boxes that I have on my VW and Toyota. Never had any problems at all. Not sure whats being said about re-maps as to date no one has been able to crack the Denso units!...

For the new 2.0 D4D there is a remap available. By respectable tuners so it's not a fake.

Copy from website of one of the tuners :

Toyota 2010-

Stock Tuned 2.0 D4D DPF 93 kW/126 Hp 310 Nm 114 kW/155 Hp 385 Nm

Price is more expensive than normal cars. About double the price.

As what comes to tuning boxes. You get what you pay for. Tunit box is a little bit differently priced than Racechip. :)

And I can say from a very very bad experience that Racechip is a waste of money. Their product sucked and their customer support sucked even more.

I'm still skeptical about boxes that just change the fueling. They do tend, no matter how cheap or pricey they are, to overfuel the engine. More expensive boxes do it less as their calculation algorithms are a lot better usually, but cheap boxes are basically having a constant correction factor that changes the fueling. So from idle to high revs, same correction.

If the box controls boost pressure also, that at least makes sure that the air/fuel ratio is been kept correct at all times. So basically overfueling should not happen.

Very good meter of quality on these boxes is how they're been built. If the box is having PC serial connectors that do not have any kind of weather protection, that tells that the corners have been cut at some point.

Good quality boxes only use automotive standard connections and cabling that are 100% weather proof and the box itself usually weights like a ton.

Okay... Some very good points there. So who makes the best piggy-back box? I've contacted Tunit to see if they would like to comment on the forum as I believe that using a box like the ones that member Kingo sells and Tunit does help with the mpg that you get out of the 2AD power units.

My mpg has gone right down atm to 29mpg! Think it must be the dense cold air that we've now got! :blink: :(

Okay... Some very good points there. So who makes the best piggy-back box? I've contacted Tunit to see if they would like to comment on the forum as I believe that using a box like the ones that member Kingo sells and Tunit does help with the mpg that you get out of the 2AD power units.

My mpg has gone right down atm to 29mpg! Think it must be the dense cold air that we've now got! :blink: :(

And you're getting this value from brim to brim or from trip computer? You do know that fooling the rail sensor with a piggyback box changes the reading to not reliable.

My car shows 7.5l/100km but when doing the math from brim to brim it is more like 8.5l/100km. It is less than without the box but the trip computer is not to be trusted anymore.

This is just from the trip computer as I've not had a chance to do a brim to brim test and this is without the Tunit box fitted. I've been looking at the TMC boxes and they are a lot cheaper that the £485 Tunit box (Although I didn't pay anywhere near that for my box). Its started to make me question if the Tunit box could cause a problem to the D-CAT system by just increasing fueling only and not boost?!?... But Tunit have said they don't see issues with the Piezo injectors or DPF's. And thats good enough for me...

Okay... Some very good points there. So who makes the best piggy-back box?

Well, as Downtime says, you want a box with automotive connectors, (ours has) it needs to be fuel and boost (ours is) it needs to be bought from someone you can speak to if you need advice (you can contact me) and a decent no quibble 30 day money back guarentee if you dont like it, which we do, and a decent warranty, ours is two years. You pays your money and all that :thumbsup:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Its started to make me question if the Tunit box could cause a problem to the D-CAT system by just increasing fueling only and not boost?!?... But Tunit have said they don't see issues with the Piezo injectors or DPF's. And thats good enough for me...

Pay attention to the DPF burn cycles. If you see increased amount of DPF burn cycles then you'll know that the box is most likely overfueling the engine. If not then no problem. And of course the setting you have the box on affects this. Higher setting = more fueling. There is a point with a stock boost where the extra fuel is not been burnt anymore as no more air is getting in. This is bad as the unburned fuel is flowing directly to DPF.

But with rail pressure and boost controlled box, it might turn out that the DPF burn interval is increased. That is what I've noticed with the TMC box. Compared to stock the DPF burn intervals are pretty much doubled. And my driving is 95% urban.

I had Kingos box on my previous car (´09 2.0 D4D DPF Avensis) and it gave a very FIERCE power increase. It is not adjustable but it works and it works reliably. The power increase was very very smooth and there was a lot of it.

From the outside Kingos box and the TMC box are pretty much identical. TMC is adjustable, Kingos is not (at least the T180 box was not). And what is the most important factor at least for me, is that they both are 100% weather proof and use standardized automotive connectors.

I've also tried a Pro-Bitz box on my current car. I had it installed for 5000kms and it also worked. For £99 piggyback box it was a bargain. Was also good but I wanted to make sure that the DPF is not having too much strain and went on to TMC.

The Pro-Bitz box is also weatherproof and their support works flawlessly. I had to change the box as it broke down after a 1000kms or so. They replaced the box without any hiccups.

I would recommend this over Racechip anyway if the price is what matters.

I had Kingos box on my previous car (´09 2.0 D4D DPF Avensis) and it gave a very FIERCE power increase. It is not adjustable but it works and it works reliably. The power increase was very very smooth and there was a lot of it.

From the outside Kingos box and the TMC box are pretty much identical. TMC is adjustable, Kingos is not (at least the T180 box was not). And what is the most important factor at least for me, is that they both are 100% weather proof and use standardized automotive connectors.

Our original boxes were not adjustable, our new boxes ARE now adjustable with a dial on the back (similar to the TMC box)

One of the problems with the early boxes were you had to put a different file in to suit the customer. Some wanted maximum power, others less so. The adjustable boxes take care of all that.

Kingo :thumbsup:

To add to this debate, when I tried out the TDI tuning box it came with factory-standard type connections & looked well made. It's probably the same generic box as made in Germany, but with more complex fuelling than some cheaper models. I tried it on the standard setting (level 10) and to be honest felt hardly any differene at all. I then upped it level 15 - the torque increase was very obvious but it also caused multiple regens, so I then backed it off to level 13. This seemed to be a good compromise between the two and the one I'd recommend. MPG improved by about 2 over the space of 2 weeks & I was driving pretty normally. For me, the major difference that the box made was to make response much more eager - especially for overtaking at moderate revs. There was definitely less lag, so as long as you were above 1500 rpm it would pull like a train.

I have a question about recycling of my D-CAT. I see you guys are more experienced with this problem. And that's one of my reasons searching for Tuning-box. I have a problem, that D-CAT is always kept heated up. I see it by constant spikes in instanteneous fuel consumption. See attached youtube.

It was cruising on 130kmh.

It is doing this constantly and it is different from DPF recycling (I have noted this process by BC) I assume that that heating makes a good contribution into fuel consumption - I have not less than 8 L/100km

How do you think - tuning box will solve the problem?

When DPF burn cycle is activated it should show a constant fuel increase. It should not spike like that.

The D-CAT system has an extra injector that injects fuel into the exhaust system at suitable intervals. That could cause the spikes.

I'm just guessing here but I'd still presume that it should show up as a longer spike and in more reduced intervals. It should not do it like that.

I would say that a tuning box most likely won't solve this problem as it is more likely a problem with the fifth injector or a bug in the ECU software itself.

I would take the car to Toyota dealership especially if it is still under warranty.

People with D-CAT engines can probably help you more.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links