Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Removal/blanking Kit

pikey009

Does anyone know of an EGR removal/blanking kit for the auris diesels? I've had a few people mention that they have found these kits for their cars- mostly Vw and have reported good results with both mpg and performance.

Also does anyone know if this would damage the engine? The people I've spoken to say it doesn't but I'm a little wary. If this subject has been covered before can you let me know, thanks.

The EGR is one of the most problematic devices on any diesel engine, but sadly it's nearly always controlled by the ECU on newer engines, making it impossible to remove properly without fault codes and limp modes happening.

Older cars used to work off a vaccum pipe, allowing you to block the pipe and prevent it from opening.

Our engines are operated by electronic signals, so if you disconnect the plug the car has a fit.

I'm unaware of any work around for our engines, and i would expect them to be quite expensive if they do exist.

Personally I find its cheap enough to remove it and clean it yourself once a year/12k miles.

• Like 1

Ah right thanks for the help and info I thought that'd be the case. I don't want to endanger the engine or anything in any way. That's why I was so anal about the whole tuning box option.

The Auris diesel engines are about the only car that cannot be reprogrammed for EGR and DPF removal, yes you can have the systems taken out but then the ECU would need to be re-programmed otherwise wanring lights would be on permanantly which will now fail the MOT test. Cleaning the EGR valve is easy as described in another thread on this forum but it's the DPF that has most effect on MPG.

The add on tuning boxes seem to be the only way of improving things albeit marginally.

Agreed.

The DPF on our cars are a double edged sword. Unlike the VAG (and others) DPF's that wait for a percentage of soot before initiating a burn, ours seems to burn more frequently, so they are less likely to clog and fail, but they kill MPG.

That said, i'd rather have a slightly thirstier car than a clogged DPF that needs replacing.

Agreed.

The DPF on our cars are a double edged sword. Unlike the VAG (and others) DPF's that wait for a percentage of soot before initiating a burn, ours seems to burn more frequently, so they are less likely to clog and fail, but they kill MPG.

That said, i'd rather have a slightly thirstier car than a clogged DPF that needs replacing.

You said it !

• 3 weeks later...

My previous car,not a Toyota,also had the EGR problem and I did think about removing it or blanking it off.

Apart from the problems mentioned with warning lights and ECU there is a problem with way the engine works.

The reason the valve is there is to aid with emissions but also to lower combustion temperatutre by bleeding some exhaust gas into the intake. Higher temperature can also cause problems with the turbo.

I was doing far less miles than I used to do and it seems that the modern diesel needs to do regular good milage trips and at a good speed. Motorway driving for example.

Older diesels pre. EGR & DPF did not suffer in this way but still benifited with a good "blast" from time to time!

I now have a petrol Auris which is fine for the type of motoring I now do,but I miss the way a good two litre diesel performs.

• 3 years later...

yes these cars cannot be remapped yet believe me im tyring but you could blank the egr without fault if you blank it off before the gasses hit the egr so for example where the pipe bolts to the egr or where the pipe comes off the block ... dpf is the same but recently i have heard of people just gutting them not getting them mapped out which we cant for the 2.0 and the 2.2 but can on the 1.4.

im currently looking for an egr blank to which if i cannot find i will be making

"....which we can't for the 2.0 and 2.2 but can on the 1.4"

Because the 1.4 has the Bosch ECU presumably?

Yes becuase of the ecu type it can be done.

Slowly working through the Denso ecus but it's hard work

Hey smudge, with regards to getting the car remapped a guy I know says he can do it from Hinckley. With around 20% gains. I'm going to get it done (i think) next month

As if so I will be there in 7 days getting it done but to be honest I call bull Shit spoke to so many firms and even my own remapping company cannot do it

It's called dynodayz. In going to go see him at some point this week. If you go let me know ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard back from them but today we cracked the encryption coding so another month or so and the 2.0 will be mappable ( we hope )

But me and the boss of the mapping firm I work for rang round about 30 places on Friday / Saturday and everyone was still saying it can't be done

Also had blanking plate fitted for the past 3 days done a few hundred miles miles no light on ... So if your interested drop me a msg and we can sort it out (Mod edit - advertising)