Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi Guys

AaronM

Hi Guys,

Ive just joined the forum as i am interested in getting a Celica VVTI 140. My budget isnt massive but have been looking around and can pick up a nice one within my budget, I was wondering whether you guys could let me know of anything to look out for?

Thanks!

Aaron

Be very careful of the earlier prefacelift (99-02) 140 engined celica's, quite a few suffered with oil burning issues, not all did but still have the probability of happening, some were fixed with replacement engines from the facelift model (03-06), some had the 190 engines fitted and some were able to get away with replacement piston rings and bottom end.

Problem seems to be caused by toyota not having enough oilways/drainways in the engine, and people not changing oil regularly enough and the oilways were getting blocked causing the oil to be burned in the combustion chamber. Then people were not checking their oil regularly enough and engine damage was caused from oil starvation.Tthe 140 engine can use around 1litre of oil per 1000 miles when you have the oil burning issue.

If you can affort it in your budget you' be better off at looking for a 03 plate onwards to make sure you don't have any issues

Thanks for the reply mate. I've got around 3k to spend and have seen a few nice ones within my budget. What are they like to drive?

They're really nice to drive and have great handling.

Unless you want to keep it stock, I'd suggest the following:

Lowering springs - It's handle better, plus the stance looks so much nicer.

Upgrade to better discs & pads - The stock brakes aren't amazing, but you will notice an improvement on uprated parts.

Hi Mate, thanks for the reply! How much are the springs and how much lower do you think it should be? Any ideas on what sort of cost the brakes would be? Would it be worth getting a remap?

Can't remap a celica ECU

Springs you can get apex from from camskill for around £100

Discs MTEC seem to be pretty good, you can get these from ther website just google mtec.

Any pads will do unless you do heavy fast road driving

Be wary of ebc pads as there have been a few recent post around about the metal backing coming away from the pad

To be honest i would prefer to get the T Sport but the insurence is ridiculous as im only 20.

To be honest i would prefer to get the T Sport but the insurence is ridiculous as im only 20.

Asked a techie at my local dealership would i have been better off getting a facelifted celica some while back.....

He said " pre-facelift engines can drink their oil, post-facelifts have a tendancy to destroy their water pumps. You pay your money, and take your choice.............'

Really? that cheap? Blimey......thought it would have been bulk loads more than that!

not sure on the vvti but the tsport is something else my friend has a facelift corolla tsport tuned with nice mods.. very nippy lift sounds amazing and is very reliable