Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Ordered But Still No Delivery Date

NoIQ

Hi all,

Looking for some advice and to see if this a common issue.

Wife ordered an IQ3 1.3 with a bunch of options in mid June, at the time dealer said we would have car within a couple of weeks but definitely in July.

A couple of days later they rang and told us a new model year was being launched and that this would delay things till end ofJuly. At this point dealer couldn't tell us what the new spec was.

Twice in the intervening weeks we have visited the dealership and been told they still don't know the spec and that the car is a non covered order with Toyota.

Rang Toyota GB today to be told that the codes to enable the new car to be ordered aren't set up yet and that it will be another two weeks before this happens (assuming no more delays). Once the codes are open they will then allocate cars to dealer stock, demonstrators and then customers.

Assuming they miraculously happen to have a car with the spec we have ordered built it will take approx 1month to ship from Japan.

Once in the uk it will then have another two week delay whilst it is further customised (leather interior) and then be sent to the dealer who will then need more time to fit the DAB upgrade, super guard it etc.

Toyota GB also unable to confirm the cars spec or any changes to what we thought we ordered.

Wondering if this is a common problem with Toyota - neither of us have had problems like this with German car makers.

We paid a £500 deposit against the car and clearly stated up front the car was needed by end of August latest, reading the small print on the order it appears they can deliver up to 3 months late and there is nothing we can do about it.

My view is that as they can't confirm what they will supply then the contract is null and void.

Interested on other people thoughts?

Regards

Paul

P.s. please don't take this as Toyota bashing, I have had a couple enjoyed them immensely.

Sorry to hear of your delay, Paul, must be frustrating.

Mind you the thought of getting an upgraded or at least revamped model would help compensate for a bit of a delay.

In my case I ordered a red IQ, with nav, last February and was given a delivery date of Augus 2011 because effectively the red colour then was a special order especially with the nav option.

We fixed the trade in price not to change so were content to wait as we were perfectly happy with our old IQ, we just wanted the later model.

To their credit the factory was affected by the Tsunami in Japan but they still kept to their delivery schedule within a week or two.

If I were in your position, if you are not being finacially disadvantaged by the delay, I would be happy to wait for the car.

It should be well worth waiting for, but once it does arrive I would not be pleased if it was not the very latest model, as they say it will be. If you are having to wait for it then make sure they don't find some old stock lying around and say "it's arrived, look!" just to keep you quiet!

But others will have the opposite view no doubt.

It is up to you, of course.

John

I had a similar issue too that caused me to have to cancel my IQ order (but I am still on the look out) and again I am not Toyota bashing, just relaying my events and hoping it was just a rogue dealer or lost order that no-one would admit to.

My PCP ran out on my old car, and with my job being more town based thought a city car was in order. Saw an IQ and loved it.

Dealer pointed out the 2 month lead time as the next few batches being built were silver/white and black, and i wanted purple, and then some time in the UK to fit other options. So I made a few arrangements, and borrowed a car and placed my order.

To cut a long story short 4 months went by without sight nor sounds of the car landing, despite supposed promises. In the end the good will on my borrowed car ended and with still no definate date I cancelled my order, and put the deposit into buying an older car to get me by.

However I still visit to keep up with any latest news and am intrigued about a new model, lets hope Toyota can improve the logistics.

In the words of Tom Jones, 'It's not unusual'.

It is not only Toyota, there are 'Black Hole' ordering systems all through the Car Manufacturers and Franchised Dealerships.

It does and is happening with many European Manufacturers as well as ones from further afield.

If customers services & Franchised Dealerships could be more up-front then customers might be more understanding.

I really would not trust or believe anyone at the moment or Build & Delivery times,

i would go for vehicles in this country now, & look for bargains, not pay a premium to get one quick.

He who hesitates might be lost, in the difficult trading climate & new European Rules coming in, in November for

'new type approved cars', like TPMS must be on all cars.

Prices may rise accordingly.

Does not apply to the iQ, but other World events might drive car prices up, & Credit Availability down..

george

Indeed George, its why I dont hold anything against Toyota but if/when I decide to buy again I will travel further afield than my local dealer that I dealt with last time.

It is a tricky whether to wait for new model, with possible price rise, or try to get an old model bargain, although with my choice preference of a loaded amethyst IQ3 being rareish i'm not sure I will see one soon.

If I get nearer to the end of the year I also fear the possible Citroen DS2 arrival, might make things interesting in my house where car choices are concerned.

I had a similar experience with Honda, when the Civic Type R Anniversary came out, numerous delays due to one thing or another. Eventually I questioned the salesman about the delays and was told "we are waiting for the car to come from Japan"

When I explained they were built in Oxford he was a little embarrassed.

As an example to other companys waiting times I ordered my company car in mid May this year and got it on the 3rd August. That was a Renault Megane

I had a similar experience with Honda, when the Civic Type R Anniversary came out, numerous delays due to one thing or another. Eventually I questioned the salesman about the delays and was told "we are waiting for the car to come from Japan"

When I explained they were built in Oxford he was a little embarrassed.

Salesmans face must have been a picture when you dropped that on him!

Mine was surprisingly quick, turned around within a fortnight but probably because I got lucky to choose a colour they were making (Pearl White). Ordered first week of June and got it mid-end June.

A little luck is needed I suppose. Hope you get it soon!

A super quick delivery for me too. I ordered a Pearl White IQ2 on a Monday ( after a test drive the previous Saturday). It was at the dealer on the Friday .... I picked it up the following Saturday. So 14 days from test drive to first press of the start button.

I guess white is a common choice and there were adequate stock. Maybe next time something purple with leather seats and an audio upgrade ..... just to give Mr. T something to do!

I'm intrigued as to what the "new" iQ2 spec will be. Likely to be a refresh rather than radical update. Hopefully it won't make me regret buying when I did. Only something like a big glass sunroof would maybe cause twinge.

Latest launch info from Toyota for 2012 model year IQ

Launch Information:

The full on sale date for the 2012 IQ (IQ4) range is still to be confirmed however

customer deliveries are anticipated to start from 1st September 2012

Due to low stock, some 2011 iQ (IQ3) range models/ colours may not be available

New Model Summary:

Deletion of Stop Start function on 1.33 engine (iQ3) models

Change in CO2 for 1.33 engine manual (iQ3) models. The CO2 will increase from 113

g/km to 120 g/km. This will not affect the tax banding of any iQ models

All models have a new black centre cluster. IQ2 and IQ3 models will have silver inserts

on the centre cluster

Plum interior and plum leather is deleted from the line up. All models will have grey

interior panelling.

Deletion of Island Blue (8T7) from exterior colour line up

New seat structure with new cloth seat trim

TNS510 Satellite Navigation system changed to TNS350. Please note this system

provides a cheaper navigation option but a CD player will not be available

Deletion of iSports Pack

Chrome wing mirrors have been deleted from the iQ3 grade

This all we have at dealer level so far

Cheers

Wow to my eyes not so much of a revamp more of a murder... Why on earth is the MPG saving stop/go being deleted? especially as so many other manufacturers are adding it. wonder if it makes large impact on the claimed figures.

Not what I wwanted to hear but thanks for the update.

Latest launch info from Toyota for 2012 model year IQ

Launch Information:

The full on sale date for the 2012 IQ (IQ4) range is still to be confirmed however

customer deliveries are anticipated to start from 1st September 2012

Due to low stock, some 2011 iQ (IQ3) range models/ colours may not be available

New Model Summary:

Deletion of Stop Start function on 1.33 engine (iQ3) models

Change in CO2 for 1.33 engine manual (iQ3) models. The CO2 will increase from 113

g/km to 120 g/km. This will not affect the tax banding of any iQ models

All models have a new black centre cluster. IQ2 and IQ3 models will have silver inserts

on the centre cluster

Plum interior and plum leather is deleted from the line up. All models will have grey

interior panelling.

Deletion of Island Blue (8T7) from exterior colour line up

New seat structure with new cloth seat trim

TNS510 Satellite Navigation system changed to TNS350. Please note this system

provides a cheaper navigation option but a CD player will not be available

Deletion of iSports Pack

Chrome wing mirrors have been deleted from the iQ3 grade

This all we have at dealer level so far

Cheers

Ooh this is more than I have heard from my Wolverhampton dealer! I hate the chrome wing mirrors but was quite looking forward to the stop/start button. I ordered my Toyota IQ3 in March and am still waiting for it. The dealer has kept in regular contact with me but seems to know very little, informing me that all the waiting may result in me being offered the IQ4 as I expect the number of red IQ3s is zero :unsure:

I currently drive a 59 reg purple IQ which I love and will have had for the 3 years in September so really hope I get my new one by then!

The dealer has kept in regular contact with me but seems to know very little, informing me that all the waiting may result in me being offered the IQ4 as I expect the number of red IQ3s is zero :unsure:

So maybe its not all bad, just that what I am expecting to be an 'IQ3' is now an 'IQ4' and the IQ3 is a middle model. I still wonder why the deleted the petrol saving stop/start.

Ooh this is more than I have heard from my Wolverhampton dealer! I hate the chrome wing mirrors but was quite looking forward to the stop/start button. I ordered my Toyota IQ3 in March and am still waiting for it. The dealer has kept in regular contact with me but seems to know very little, informing me that all the waiting may result in me being offered the IQ4 as I expect the number of red IQ3s is zero :unsure:

I currently drive a 59 reg purple IQ which I love and will have had for the 3 years in September so really hope I get my new one by then!

You will still get the stop/start button. It is the auto stop/start of the engine while waiting in traffic which is being removed ;)

Dave

re Deletion of 'Auto Stop/Start' on the manual 1.3.

Maybe this is to do with 5 year warranty you are getting now.

& It is possibly because it was not actually saving fuel, only 'showing' as having lower emissions, but causing problems in the long run on some vehicles.

The car is staying within the same tax band without it anyway.

(Emissions are not really lower if the vehicle is on drives where the engine is not switching off when stopped,

as in, the 1.3 might be less used by buyers as a 'City' car, than the 1.0 would be.)

Possibly Warranty claims due to increasing failures from 'Stop/Start' over the past 3 years.

Shorter Battery life, plus increased expense in the build/purchase price.

george

Possibly Warranty claims due to increasing failures from 'Stop/Start' over the past 3 years.

Shorter battery life, plus increased expense in the build/purchase price.

george

Yep - stop/start plays havoc on electric and mechanical systems. Personally I would avoid this "feature" not least because i think it would annoy the hell out of me. After 25 years of driving I think it would take a long time top get used to not reacting when the engine suddenly cuts out in traffic.

Anyone who has got stop/start care to comment?

Shorter battery life, plus increased expense in the build/purchase price.

george

Yep - stop/start plays havoc on electric and mechanical systems. What about crawling along in traffic when it freezing/snow/raining, heater on , lights on the battery/starter motor must tell a pounding being switched on/off every couple of minutes(maybe even seconds in heavy traffic) . Personally I would avoid this "feature" not least because i think it would annoy the hell out of me. After 25 years of driving I think it would take a long time to get used to not reacting with a degree of panic when the engine suddenly cuts out in traffic.

Anyone who has got stop/start care to comment?

The stop start is only on the 1.3 iQ's with the manual transmission just like my car.

The engine will only stop if the car is stationary and the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is up. As soon as you start rolling or press the clutch down again the engine will restart.

It also monitors itself very well so if you have lights on, heaters Etc. it will decide if it's safe to stop the engine or keep it going to supply the load on the rest of the electrical system. It also won't stop if the air conditioning is on.

If the engine does stop and you are stationary for some time the engine can restart itself when needed if it thinks the Battery is getting a bit low and then it will carry on ticking over like a conventional car until it thinks it's safe to stop again but chances are your on the move again by then.

I believe the bonnet lock is also linked to the system so it won't suddenly start if your under the bonnet with your fingers in the alternator belt.

There is a big green indicator on the dash display as well that illuminates ECO when the engine is off so you don't panic thinking your car has just packed up and there is also an Eco Off display for times it decides not to stop the engine.

I actually quite like the system but I do find myself pressing the "Eco Off" button if I'm in a queue of slow moving traffic and sometimes I hold the clutch down at lights if I know they will change soon as I don't want it to turn off then I ask it to start again a few seconds later.

There is always that thought in my mind though, what if it doesn't start again..... :)

I think the Eco system can be turned on and off in the software parameters so I guess they are simply making a software default change.

Craig.

Ah right...phew! I never test drove one to experience the stop/start of the engine so was intrigued as to how suddenly it fired up again but I suppose if they're getting rid of it and my new one doesn't have it, I won't even know what I'm missing. I like the idea of the keyless entry - simple things eh! :D

My first car with keyless entry is the iQ and I have to say the idea of using a key now to open the door and put it in an ignition lock to start it is laughable! I love the keyless ignition and wouldn't be without it now.

Craig.

My first car with keyless entry is the iQ and I have to say the idea of using a key now to open the door and put it in an ignition lock to start it is laughable! I love the keyless ignition and wouldn't be without it now.

Craig.

Ditto

It will be a must have on my next car ....and when we replace the SAAB

I think I put the key fob in my jacket pocket and zipped it up when I picked the car up 2 months ago and haven't really taken it out!

I guess not everyone wears the same jacket every day .....I must just be one of the lucky ones !!!

When I went into the local Toyota dealer last week and asked about delivery times I was told the following.

Toyota have 8 ships that circle the planet constantly. They dock at various ports either loading Toyotas made in that country or dropping some off. If you want a car of a certain spec and it's located on one of these ships you have to wait for it to arrive on it's next scheduled stop. If you have missed it then you have to wait for it to come round again.

It sounds a bit odd. Can anyone confirm there is any truth in this? This is apparently why delivery dates can be really quick to several months.

The revised specs are live on the toyota website, no mention of them having changed.

Despite lowering the specs of the car slightly, the bill for what I want is the same (baring lack of sports option pack), so I guess its a cost saving exercise, to keep the aparent vehicle price the same to the naked eye.

I wonder if the official sports pack items will still be available to be fitted individually after market, as at present.

Such as rear skirt, exhaust finisher and spoiler.

John