Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2Ad Engine Replacement Figures.. Help Please From All 2.2 Diesel Owner

CharlieFarlie

This thread is purely to work out the percentage of Owners of the Rav4 that has the 2.2 Diesel engine between 2006 and 2009.

This does NOT include the 150 engine from 2009 onwards.

This list so far has been copied from the engine poll thread and will be deleted from that thread..

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had replacements or rebuilds..........

CharlieFarlie

Crustyclam

JerryB

Gods Gift

Wingergbr

Kanulondon

Steve Jeep

Bluemonster

Doosan

Wardude Rebuild.

MCcosbro

Dons old car.

Three five .

Dabooka

NMaria

Three5

MarkMac

SYWY

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE NOT had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had no problems.......

Offroadster.

Big Kev

DJ Rav

Stevestod

Jozeph

Ben XT

So please add Your name to the list whether or not You have an engine rebuild or replacement.. Or I will add for anyone..

Thanks.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

• CWOR

my 2007 avensis t180 was ok no problems.

57000 miles when i sold it for rav4.

57 reg D4D Rav4 XTR, 50,000 miles no probs

my 2007 avensis was ok no problems.

57000 miles when i sold it for rav4.

Trying to keep it to Ra4s Mate which is why I have removed Tims (Mistermena) name from the list.. Thanks .

What will it tell us? We are only surveying owners on here. Some have only had an engine because they heard of the scheme on the forum.

August 2006 T180 - 82k miles

Replacement Engine due to blocked CAT (oil consumption)

This thread is purely to work out the percentage of Owners of the Rav4 that has the 2.2 Diesel engine between 2006 and 2009.

This does NOT include the 150 engine from 2009 onwards.

This list so far has been copied from the engine poll thread and will be deleted from that thread..

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had replacements or rebuilds..........

CharlieFarlie

Crustyclam

JerryB

Mistermena Rebuild X 2

Kanulondon

Steve Jeep

Bluemonster

Doosan

Wardude Rebuild.

MCcosbro

Dons old car.

Three five .

Dabooka

NMaria

Three5

Would Members that have a car with the 2AD engine and HAVE NOT had replacements or rebuilds please add to the list below or make it known and I will add ?? Cars between 2006 to 2009 ALL cars except the 150 BHP Post 2009 Please

Those that have had no problems.......

Offroadster.

Big Kev

DJ Rav

So please add Your name to the list whether or not You have an engine rebuild or replacement.. Or I will add for anyone..

Thanks.

Hi Charlie,

the gremlins have been at it again fella! I have got onto your list twice I believe, once as "three5" and once as "three five"

What will it tell us? We are only surveying owners on here. Some have only had an engine because they heard of the scheme on the forum.

What it will establish is just how many Owners percentage wise have had issue..

This is after all a question that is asked time and time again.....

I have no way of surveying any other than the Members on here and only talk about it here anyway...

Don I appreciate You defending the Rav to the hilt as You always do.. I firmly believe if you were to cut Your arm off You would have Rav4 across it like Blackpool rock ...

But are You now suggesting that some of Us here have conned Toyota into fitting new engines where they are not needed ??

Don's point Charlie is that there have been folk who have come here specifically for advice having not had previous knowlwdge of the replacement scheme. They have received a new engine as a result of the information gained here.

Had they not done so they may have carried on without.

Don's point Charlie is that there have been folk who have come here specifically for advice having not had previous knowlwdge of the replacement scheme. They have received a new engine as a result of the information gained here.

Had they not done so they may have carried on without.

David, We are looking at the percentage points Here... So why mention it unless it makes a difference Here ??..

There was one Member who came on saying He had conned Toyota into an uneccesary engine change. His name is Not on the list above as it would not be representative or fair.

There are a surprising number of topics on this engine issue on several other Forums... Take a look Mate.. You are after all the master of digging up stuff I cannot find !

Well Charlie, having done a lot of searching around and read lots of posts, the best estimate I can come up with[ based on the sales data linked by SHCM, is that about 7% of ALL 2.2 D4D engines have been replaced/rectified to date - RAV, Auris, Avensis included.

Anyone with a bit of nouse who has a concern will do an internet search and is very likely to end up here, thereby skewing the figures.

As to the true percentage, I suspect that we will never know.

With regard to what happens when the extended warranty runs out, if a car has not exhibited issues in that time, provided the usage conditions stay similar, I guess it is unlikely to ever have a problem. On the other hand, should a buyer pick up a well serviced, lightly used, low mileage example and then starts using it for towing or other heavy service, I would forsee trouble ahead.

Even then I imagine there is the possibility of a dealer persuing a policy warranty claim :unsure:

From memory, there are about 16,500 RAVs in the UK in the affectecd age range - how many members do we have here that have one of those?

Dunno the total forum membership or how many members there are with a 2006 - 2009 2.2 D4D but I bet it's a very small proportion of that 16.5K.................

April 2006 T180 .... no prblem

note: I'm the second owner ... I think this is original engine, but was (05/07/10) A/C leak

Jozsef

Well Charlie, having done a lot of searching around and read lots of posts, the best estimate I can come up with[ based on the sales data linked by SHCM, is that about 7% of ALL 2.2 D4D engines have been replaced/rectified to date - RAV, Auris, Avensis included.

Anyone with a bit of nouse who has a concern will do an internet search and is very likely to end up here, thereby skewing the figures.

As to the true percentage, I suspect that we will never know.

With regard to what happens when the extended warranty runs out, if a car has not exhibited issues in that time, provided the usage conditions stay similar, I guess it is unlikely to ever have a problem. On the other hand, should a buyer pick up a well serviced, lightly used, low mileage example and then starts using it for towing or other heavy service, I would forsee trouble ahead.

Even then I imagine there is the possibility of a dealer persuing a policy warranty claim :unsure:

From memory, there are about 16,500 RAVs in the UK in the affectecd age range - how many members do we have here that have one of those?

Dunno the total forum membership or how many members there are with a 2006 - 2009 2.2 D4D but I bet it's a very small proportion of that 16.5K.................

David. As there is no way of working out when an engine will exhibit the problems it is likely that they will still do so well after warranty has expired...

If it is on mileage then the bomb ticks slower..

We simply do not know.

This thread is about numbers Mate.. If We are not careful it will just turn into another debate about the whys and what ifs...

I am trying to stick to the Rav4 here for several reasons. Firstly this is of course a Rav4 Forum so digressing will just confuse the matter. Seconly. With the Rav being a heavier car and having more weight to shift and a heavier geartrain to shift I wonder if the Rav suffers more than say an Auris which places a lighter load on its engine ?

I have asked Owners here as there is no other UK forum of this size. So far the numbers suggest more than 7% but we shall see....

Jozeph Do You suspect Your car may have had a replacement ? Can You say for sure ?

XT4 May 2006

No problems so far, but I did clean out the ERG gubbins, which were moderately sooted.

Chaged to Shell V-power

Miles when bought in Nov 2011 22000, miles now 32000.

Saw this comment on the forum

"On the other hand, should a buyer pick up a well serviced, lightly used, low mileage example and then starts using it for towing or other heavy service, I would forsee trouble ahead.

I'm just about to start towing my caravan.....warrenty runs out in May next year.

I've had lots of diesels, no problems with any of them, all in theory inferior makes to Toyota. I did buy this car as a long term vehicle, and do not wish to change it but I now check to oil and water levels every day.

Thats just a wise precaution checking the levels mine used oil from when I bought it but to be honest I just thought it was the norm seeing how many miles I do. I bought mine on 17,000 @ 6 months old and had the engine done at 104,000 4 years on. As stated mine had used oil since I had it an the dealer I bought it from told me it was normal so never questioned it after that. It was only when I started losing coolant an a litre or more of oil every 1-1200miles I sought out Dons advice and help. If I'd not known or had Dons help I'd have probably done the head gasket myself and carried on.

Eee I love a good debate. We should all be sat in the pub now having a beer while the landlord shushes us!

Jozeph Do You suspect Your car may have had a replacement ? Can You say for sure ?

No Charlie. The engine did not get changed, or it seems like tit's the original (looks like its ran 68k judging by the stains and stuff) but the A/C leaked, that's for sure. They filled it with a special liquid, which shows where it leaks under UV light, if the problem ever occurs again.

Jozsef

Nov 2006 xt5 d4d 63k miles - no replacement to my knowledge.

Due for service this month. Just checked oil (flat drive, car not used today) after reading this and it is just under half way between the dimples. I have done about 8000 miles this year. Assuming the oil was filled to about the top dimple when changed, does that seem normal or excessive oil useage? I can mention it to Mr T when I book the service tomorrow if it may be a concern.

Thanks,

Ben.

Hi I am mark.. I know Chas or charlie on here as he helped me with getting the engine changed im my car wich is a toyota rav4 sr180. the car was registerd in september 2009 and is a 59 plated car it was built from memeory in april 2009 I had problems when the turbo went on holiday in france because the oil went low. It was not until I met chas and he told me about the situation with the engines that I went back to toyota and made a complaint. after this complaint they checked the oil and some other things on the car and then booked the car in for the engine to be swapped over this was at about 43000 miles. after this and armed with what to say i went again to toyota and made another complaint about the cost of the turbo wich cost 2100 pounds I realise I should have checked the oil more often but it was agreed that without the oil burning the turbo would not have gone so toyota gave back the money for the cost of the turbo.While my car was at the garage there was another 2 cars in for new motors one of those was also a 2009 but an avensis and one other rav.

Mark.. I though You were not into "That tinternet malarky" Em hadn't told Me the outcome of the complaint to Toyota about the turbo issue.. Well done !!

Tell Your old man he is something the rhymes with anchor ............

See Ya in a couple of weeks if your about ...

Mine's a 2007 T80, 33k only bought it in April (didn't read reviews first) . So far so good, according to Toyota history apart from routine servicing, the timing chain has been renewed. Oil and Water levels remain ok.

I do regular runs from Somerset to Hertfordshire, pretty much all motorway, don't matter how its driven or what fuel i use cant get more than 35 MPG.

Charlies threads are really interesting and enlightening - albeit i am now expecting a problem at some stage !

Very convenient. A one post newby with a 2009 failure that knows of two others.

I've heard everything now.

Pathetic.

I'd just like to say I have a 57 XTR 2.2 with no issues whatsoever.

Please add me to the list so it doesn't show 80% of members with an issue!!!

Not Dave

B)

Oops, nearly forgot, I have 20 mates with exact same car and NO issues.

(was that too far?)