Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2Ad Engine Replacement Figures.. Help Please From All 2.2 Diesel Owner

CharlieFarlie

Anchorman/all,

First thing to say is that I really do appreciate the informed comment and advice. Whatever the outcome, it's heartening to read the responses.

To answer the injector question: the local dealer INTENDS to fit these (tomorrow I believe). He's had the car for the last 2 weeks (kindly providing a courtesy car) but delayed work until after input from Toyota GB and a slot in his workshop I suppose.

Toyota GB Customer Relations know that it will be "non-OEM" parts and apparently agree to it. I mention Denso because I rang the Cheshire dealer from whom I actually bought the car for a comparative quote: it was v. similar and they mentioned Denso. when explaining that they (and my local dealer) would source the injectors from a distributor called FP (or PF) Jones.

I do not know if the injectors were checked/callibrated when the engine was replaced in August 2011. (I presume the current ones are the originals.) I'm not very surprised that my request for a full breakdown of the work carried out then was not sent to me today. I rang at 5pm today and it is promised tomorrow morning.

A question: what might cause the injectors to go out of scope? Driver behaviour? Use of Supermarket fuel (it has about 50/50 Tesco and Shell)? Failure to check/re-callibrate regularly?

Re. the EGR valve replacement I mentioned, I've checked my records and it was done more recently than I thought, as part of the August 2010 annual service i.e. only 12 months before the decision to replace the engine. That makes me think my case rather fits the situation outlined by Charliefarlie.

Anchorman - if you are able to offer further insight/support I would appreciate it. It's reaching crunch-time. I rang Toyota customer relations today (Claim 614915) to ask if they would re-consider my claim after I sent them (end of the day, Thursday 20th) the Charliefarlie posting and the history I set out above (engine replacement & Devon etc.). The lady I spoke to said "3 days to investigate" so I reminded her that the claim was actually lodged/opened early last week.

Co-incidentally (I am sure it was), today I got a cold call from customer relations department of the Group to which my local dealer belongs asking about the (first) visit to the dealer after my return from Devon. I only mention this because I have sent to them, too, the Charliefarlie posting and engine replacement & Devon etc. history.

CWOR.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

• CWOR

Let me explain the Denso situation

Denso are the original injectors

PF Jones are a Denso agent

Injectors that are sent to PF Jones are a "Factory refurb" the prefered option by Toyota, rather than fitting brand new off the shelf injectors at vast cost. This method of repair is used for most warranty claims, if a dealer fitted brand new off the shelf injectors, it would be highly unlikely he would be paid for them via warranty

Hope that clears mud ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have just purchased a 2008 Rav4 2.2 diesel at 50k miles. How can I tell if my engine is one of the ones that 'might' have a problem and if it is, can someone please let me know how long Toyota will look after me and what I can do about it.

Many Thanks

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Your car is on the 'cusp' so to speak and the build date/VIN number will be needed for a more accurate suggestion as to whether it 'might' be affected.

Toyota have extended the warranty for this engine to seven years/112k miles and seem to be on the mark in honouring the warranty provided the car has been 'reasonably' maintained.

If you have read the thread below you will know what to look out for so worth keeping an eye on oil consumption and header tank/water level

This thread:

http://www.toyotaown...78#entry1175067

explains the situation.

• 1 month later...

Now that the dust has settled, a brief closing round-up of this situation.

None of RRG Altrincham (I have not named them before), RRG Group (didn't even bother to follow up on THEIR random customer service enquiry) or Toyota GB agreed to contribute to the £2,000 cost of replacing the injectors on this car which had a brand new engine less than 12 months ago: I had no choice but to pay up.

For the three weeks or so that they had the car while the work was carried out, and the discussions took place about warranty/payment, RRG Altrincham kindly gave me a courtesy car.

Unfortunately when my wife went to fetch the our car, as she made to drive away, she noticed a (new) large crack in the windscreen. Clearly no/very little 'pre-delivery inspection' had taken place. She was livid, her mood exacerbated when she was advised to fix it under our insurance and they would pay the excess.

As we all know, ANY claim will cause one's insurance premium to rise so this was bad advice. They told my wife that they had no means to repair it themselves but, of course, they did when I insisted.

To make matters worse, a day or two before my wife collected the car, when I had gone to pay the £2,000, I stressed that they made sure the car was spot-on upon collection (we've had small but annoying problems upon collection from there before).

To make matters EVEN WORSE, we had to go back yet again: while the car was having its injectors replaced we decided, acting on RRG Altrincham's suggestion, to replace a worn tyre (which it was). A day after picking up the car after its windscreen had been replaced (so about 4 days after the tyre had been replaced at the same time as the injectors), the tyre was flat. The AA was sure it wasn't punctured so I took it back to RRG Altrincham. Upon inspection the manager acknowledged that the rim was rubbing on balancing weights and that this had caused the tyre to slowly deflate.

You might wonder why I used RRG Altrincham for the injector repair. Well, they did the engine change under warranty and I thought, and still think, it sensible to take the injector problem to them (thinking that it was related). Also they are local and the car had resorted to 'get me home mode' so couldn't be driven any great distance. However, given the windscreen and tyre problems, I can only conclude that they have major problems in their service department processes.

We don't normally condone naming during negative feedback so I must say that I suspect they will also have customers who are happy as well. I can also say for sure that the only impact on your insurance will be on the number of windscreen claims you can make (usually 2 or 3) and will not effect your record, NCB or premium.

Having said all that I can see that you are clearly fed up about the situation. As you know I spoke to somebody about your claim and they felt that as some time had passed since the engine was changed that TGB could not reliably tie the injector failure to the engine swap and that it might have happened even if the engine had never been disturbed. I personally feel that injectors should never go out of calibration PROVIDING that good quality fuel is used AND the fuel filter is changed periodically. Unfortunately it is not always easy to be sure if you did not have it from new. As for the service, well it is never easy to stomach a big bill for what seems like a premature failure so the relationship is bound to be strained from day 1. Where I agree wholeheartedly is that if the windscreen was cracked whilst under their care then it should definitely come back with a new windscreen to you. The tyre thing is just unfortunate. In isolation it could be passed off as "one of those things" and just an inconvenience. They wouldn't easily have detected that it might cause you a problem at the time of handing it back. For you it is the icing on the cake of what has been a nasty experience.

My question would be, might it have been any different if another dealer had handled it/ negotiated with TGB and my guess is that with the exception of the windscreen which is disgusting, then it wouldn't. In that case, RRG can not be held fully responsible but I can understand your dissappointment with the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Relatively new to the forum. What is this survey for? Have I bought a donkey? This is my 2nd RAV. My first was a 1996 4.1. Sold it with 247,000 miles on it as was starting to spend money on it. passed the last five MOT's first time so I'm sold on the RAV!!!

In August this year, bought a 2006 RAV4 2.2 D-4D model ALA30R-AWFGYW, Engine 2ADFTV 2200cc Diesel Turbo, Frame Number ALA30-6010318 with 60,000 miles on her. No problems with it?

Can someone explain to me why the need for the survey and what it's all about?

Ok Charlie.

Read most of the topic in your link above. Does this mean ALL engines are "weak" or are some OK? I ask as I have done 4,500 miles in 3 months and not using much oil. Never had to top-up the coolant and mileage is app 40 to 44 mpg (journey and driving style dependant). Itmay be a bit noisy. I don't know as this is my first diesel motor. Just getting a bit worried that I maybe should have kept the old RAV4.1? What is your opinion on my car? I would appreciate it.

It is impossible to give an opinion on any individual car ////

The main symptoms are Oil burning, Water being sent out of the expansion tank and blocked EGR valves along with heavy fuel consumption...

Unfortunately its the early cars that are more prone but this does not mean later cars are guaranteed to be free from problems.

It really is a case of how lucky do you feel ? Car could run for ages without problems or develop faults with little or no notice. It really is as you will have deduced from the many posts on this subject simply impossible to say............

Ok Charlie.

Read most of the topic in your link above. Does this mean ALL engines are "weak" or are some OK? I ask as I have done 4,500 miles in 3 months and not using much oil. Never had to top-up the coolant and mileage is app 40 to 44 mpg (journey and driving style dependant). Itmay be a bit noisy. I don't know as this is my first diesel motor. Just getting a bit worried that I maybe should have kept the old RAV4.1? What is your opinion on my car? I would appreciate it.

2006 2.2 XT3 with 108,000 miles when engine changed in August 2012. (Also had suspension checked today on recall - no problems found)

Ok Charlie.

2006 2.2 XT3 with 108,000 miles when engine changed in August 2012. (Also had suspension checked today on recall - no problems found)

Whats the suspension recall? Is this just for the Rav's?

Ok Charlie.

You should have had a recall letter informing you of a possible issue with loose nuts [yeah OK, OK] IF you've had rear wheel alignment done and the nuts were not torqued properly afterwards.

The solution is to fit some retaining clips I believe.

If you've not had a letter I would contact your nearest dealer. I've had the letter but not been asked to present the car as yet. :unsure:

I had my nuts replaced (on the suspension arm that is) about 6 weeks ago,done while in for a service. I received another letter from VOSA to say that you should also have warning tags fitted to ensure that the nuts are correctly tightened should adjustment of the suspension arm be required in the future.Mine did not have the tags fitted but after a phone call to Mr T they will fit them while my Rav goes in for an MOT Monday morning. Mr T said they didn't have any in stock when it first went in for the nuts to be changed.I find this a little strange as I thought they were ordered in sets and would they have told me if I hadn't phoned them,I guess not.

Doosan

Ok Charlie.

You should have had a recall letter informing you of a possible issue with loose nuts [yeah OK, OK] IF you've had rear wheel alignment done and the nuts were not torqued properly afterwards.

The solution is to fit some retaining clips I believe.

If you've not had a letter I would contact your nearest dealer. I've had the letter but not been asked to present the car as yet. :unsure:

I've not had any letter (That I recall) but I've not had any rear wheel alignment done and I'm very careful who torques my nuts! :yes::bann: :!Removed!: :xmas::bag:

• 2 weeks later...

From davyrav

I have an 07 xtr with 63000 miles, no problems yet, infact it doesn't seem to use oil at all !

Regards

• 8 months later...

Hi my Rav4 T180 had a new 3/4 engine replacement in March 2012 following an MOT where the technician noticed the coolant a little low and tested the coolant pressure low. Following the replacement engine I have increasingly noticed stuttering on acceleration. This has been dealt with by cleaning the EGR valve, with some improvement noticed. However, I have now had a P2002 fault after driving to Aberdeen from Southampton and half way back. Was trailered all the way home from Derby, well done RAC, as Toyota unable to do a forced regeneration successfully. Car now with Snows Toyota Hedge End, where they have performed a 30 page? diagnostic and this has led them apparently to a bulletin from Toyota requiring them to discuss with them. They have discussed with Toyota and the suggestion is to replace the fuel filter and rule filter body and perform an EMU ? upgrade?

At the moment I am bemused. Have read the blogs here about particulate filter problems and that the P2002 code is "DPF efficiency" failure, so I am a bit confused as to why Toyota are telling them to replace the fuel filter first?

Because it is the biggest source of problems.