Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Gen3 - Extending Warranty

johalareewi

Just looking into extending the warranty on my 59 gen3. Been quoted just short of £700 for 2 years/40,000 miles. I am trying to find out if this will also extend the hybrid system and HV Battery warranty as well but the dealer is being a bit vague. I seem to recall that to boost the early gen3 hybrid + Battery warranty to current levels was extra. Is this right?

Yes, the Toyota documentation is clear as mud, so I'm not surprised that the dealer was a bit vague.

Anyway, I took out an extended warranty nearly a year ago when the weasel warranty expired. As far as I can tell, both hybrid system and Battery are specifically included. You should be able to get the dealer to print out a copy of the warranty documentation. This describes what is and what isn't included in some detail.

Toyota's current extended warranty looks quite good, and looks as though it can be extended to seven years, regardless of mileage (IIRC)

However, there is an interesting paragraph on the price list of the previous (Weasel mk2) Extended Warranty. This said that if you take out an extended warranty before the three years expires, because the 60,000 mileage limit is reached, then the original warranty is extended to three years and the extended warranty runs from then. However, both the Warranty Co. and Toyota's systems appear to be totally indifferent to this.

So what I had taken to be a good offer, to encourage me to take up the extended warranty, turns out to be yet another Toyota GB pile of poo.

Just looking into extending the warranty on my 59 gen3. Been quoted just short of £700 for 2 years/40,000 miles. I am trying to find out if this will also extend the hybrid system and HV battery warranty as well but the dealer is being a bit vague. I seem to recall that to boost the early gen3 hybrid + battery warranty to current levels was extra. Is this right?

The warranty on pre-June 2010 cars already provides 5 years or 60,000 miles on hybrid related components so unless you do more than 12,000 miles p.a. (which I don't), it does not need extending. It cost me £620 to extend the mechanical warranty by two years or 20,000 miles.

If you want extra mileage on the hybrid components, I feel sure that it will cost extra. I think Grumpy has looked at this in detail so it could be worth searching his posts.

Here is the relevant quote from the Toyota website.

Model Year 2009

Hybrid-related warranty components including hybrid vehicle Battery, Battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

You should be able to get the dealer to print out a copy of the warranty documentation. This describes what is and what isn't included in some detail.

Will do.

I did find this on the Toyota Uk website.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&noLeftMenu=true&fullwidth=TRUE&nodiv=TRUE&edname=YourChoiceTerms&id=YourChoiceTerms&zone=Zone+Offers&sr=Mall

and this

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=AfterSalesWarranty

which kind of hints that the extended warranty might not include hybrid parts.

I emailed Toyota UK a while back and asked about what the extended warranty would cover, and if they could send me the terms and conditions (I have a Jan 2010 weasal warranty T-Spirit) they bounced me my local dealer. I haven't bothered asking them yet, but read any comments here with interest!

p.s. Alan (johalareewi) did you have to haggle for the £700 quote, or is that what the cost was? Also, I think there are two prices, limted and unlimited mileage?

A little left field but what do you think the chances are of something going wrong that costs more the £700 to fix and is actually covered by the warranty?

I previously ran a computer business and had some good discussions with customers about extended warranties, in the form of what is a good value warranty?

I.e. would you be happy if you paid £700 and then never claimed? Or is it better to have a car with lots of problems so you "get your monies worth"?

In my 20 years of motoring I have never had a part or system fail that is either fitted to a Prius or would be included in a warranty.

I.e. all big bills have been for clutch, gearbox, turbo, or they have been for service parts brakes etc...

Just a thought :=)

Good point - Well, it's £700 for two years = £350 a year.

Toyota's have a reputation for being 'indestructible' if you know what I mean, so there's a good chance I may never claim on it.

However, peace of mind + resale value + extra benefits Club Toyota (for what it's worth) = worthwhile to me. £30 a month, I'm saving more than that in petrol!

All of the above applies IF the hybrid system is covered, naturally. lol. I wouldn't want to Shell out £2k for a new Battery!

p.s. reserve the right to change the above sentiment depending on my mood

2k for a repair, is nothing compared to the depreciation over the first 3 years (probably over 12k).

Obviously it's better not to have to fork out any big bills, but IMO it just as good not to fork out a big bill of £700 for something I probably won't use, especially on a manufacturer with such a reputation for reliability.

did you have to haggle for the £700 quote, or is that what the cost was? Also, I think there are two prices, limted and unlimited mileage?

That was the normal quote from the dealer and yes, there are 2 options. Unlimited mileage, and limited to 20K (you can also do a 1 year extension). Mine is the 2 year unlimited mileage. There is also an option to pay in installments via direct debit (with no interest charge) to soften the blow.

A little left field but what do you think the chances are of something going wrong that costs more the £700 to fix and is actually covered by the warranty?

I have the same model as GC (and about the same age) and he has had problems with the steering motor at £2k a go. His mileage is higher than mine but I still do 20K per year so there is a good chance I could have the same problem in the next year or two. Also, my Hybrid system and HV Battery warranty will expire this November (60K miles) and while Toyotas are 'bomb proof', the early gen3s seem to be not quite as bomb proof so some extra protection against HSD system / HV Battery failure would be handy.

The extended warranty also includes club Toyota membership which would normally cost around £120 for 2 years so I would be saving there.

The dealer did say that the extended warranty quotes are now vehicle specific so the system should know it is a hybrid but will find out just exactly what is and isn't covered.

did you have to haggle for the £700 quote, or is that what the cost was? Also, I think there are two prices, limted and unlimited mileage?

That was the normal quote from the dealer and yes, there are 2 options. Unlimited mileage, and limited to 20K (you can also do a 1 year extension). Mine is the 2 year unlimited mileage. There is also an option to pay in installments via direct debit (with no interest charge) to soften the blow.

I have the same model as GC (and about the same age) and he has had problems with the steering motor at £2k a go. His mileage is higher than mine but I still do 20K per year so there is a good chance I could have the same problem in the next year or two. Also, my Hybrid system and HV Battery warranty will expire this November (60K miles) and while Toyotas are 'bomb proof', the early gen3s seem to be not quite as bomb proof so some extra protection against HSD system / HV Battery failure would be handy.

The extended warranty also includes club Toyota membership which would normally cost around £120 for 2 years so I would be saving there.

The dealer did say that the extended warranty quotes are now vehicle specific so the system should know it is a hybrid but will find out just exactly what is and isn't covered.

GC did his mileage as a Taxi though didn't he? That could put more wear on it.

I would stick the £700 in a savings account, and use it to offset any bill if it occurs. If it doesn't you are laughing...

I emailed Toyota UK again re: the extended warranty and what it covers on the off-chance that the previous reply I had was just down to laziness. Just had this:

Dear.

Thank you for your email to Toyota.

In response to your query, I can confirm the Hybrid-related manufactures warranty components including hybrid vehicle Battery, Battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter for 5 years or 60,000 miles. The extended warranty will also include the Hybrid components.

I trust this information is of use to you and if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me on the details provided below.

Yours sincerely,

Natasha Allman

Toyota Customer Advisor

Phone: 0844 701 6200

Fax: 0203 166 4115

Email: information@tgb.toyota.co.uk

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged. It may only be read, copied and used by the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) you may not copy, use, distribute, forward, store, disclose this e-mail or any attachment in whole or in part and it may be unlawful for you to do so. If you are not the intended recipient(s) or have otherwise received this e-mail in error you should destroy it and any attachment and notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or telephone (0844 701 6200). Any opinions, conclusions or other information in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily the company. Any information contained in this message that does not relate to official business of Toyota (GB) Ltd, its subsidiaries or agents shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. Any information regarding pricing or specification should not be regarded as an infallible guide to current specification, nor does it constitute an offer for the sale of any particular vehicle or service. If you require more precise pricing information or details regarding Toyota products or services, please contact your local Toyota Centre. They will be able to provide a direct, professional response to any queries you may have.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 07/08/2012 11:51:49

To: ToyotaCCInformation@listening.co.uk

Subject: Contact Form

Hi I have a January 2010 registered Prius T-Spirit, and as such only have the 3 year warranty. I am planning on extending this when the times comes, but wish to know whether an extended warranty will cover the hybrid components? The website and my local dealer are a bit vague... Would you be able to send me information via email or post on the terms and conditions please. I am interested in the extending for 2 years.Thanks

I emailed Toyota UK again re: the extended warranty and what it covers on the off-chance that the previous reply I had was just down to laziness. Just had this:

Dear.

In response to your query, I can confirm the Hybrid-related manufactures warranty components including hybrid vehicle battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter for 5 years or 60,000 miles. The extended warranty will also include the Hybrid components.

I trust this information is of use to you and if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me on the details provided below.

Yours sincerely,

Natasha Allman

Toyota Customer Advisor

Phone: 0844 701 6200

Fax: 0203 166 4115

Email: information@tgb.toyota.co.uk

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged. It may only be read, copied and used by the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) you may not copy, use, distribute, forward, store, disclose this e-mail or any attachment in whole or in part and it may be unlawful for you to do so. If you are not the intended recipient(s) or have otherwise received this e-mail in error you should destroy it and any attachment and notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or telephone (0844 701 6200). Any opinions, conclusions or other information in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily the company. Any information contained in this message that does not relate to official business of Toyota (GB) Ltd, its subsidiaries or agents shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. Any information regarding pricing or specification should not be regarded as an infallible guide to current specification, nor does it constitute an offer for the sale of any particular vehicle or service. If you require more precise pricing information or details regarding Toyota products or services, please contact your local Toyota Centre. They will be able to provide a direct, professional response to any queries you may have.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 07/08/2012 11:51:49

To: ToyotaCCInformation@listening.co.uk

Subject: Contact Form

Hi I have a January 2010 registered Prius T-Spirit, and as such only have the 3 year warranty. I am planning on extending this when the times comes, but wish to know whether an extended warranty will cover the hybrid components? The website and my local dealer are a bit vague... Would you be able to send me information via email or post on the terms and conditions please. I am interested in the extending for 2 years.Thanks

I think you asked a non-question. As long as you mention only extension from three years to five, there is no need to extend the cover of the hybrid components because they are already covered to five years by your existing warranty.

Extension of the hybrid warranty is only an issue if, within the two extra years you wish also to increase the mileage covered to more than 60,000 miles. Ask what happens in those circumstances and you will get a quite different answer.

As long as you mention only extension from three years to five, there is no need to extend the cover of the hybrid components because they are already covered to five years by your existing warranty.

Extension of the hybrid warranty is only an issue if, within the two extra years you wish also to increase the mileage covered to more than 60,000 miles. Ask what happens in those circumstances and you will get a quite different answer.

This is where my dealer has got to at the moment. They have said the extended warranty isn't necessary for the hybrid parts because they are covered for 5 years. They have overlooked the 60,000 mile limit which for me will happen in 3 years. So I am looking to extend the hybrid cover to 100,000 miles. Maybe my dealer spoke to the same person at Toyota GB?

GC did his mileage as a Taxi though didn't he? That could put more wear on it.

That is what I am hoping! Most of my miles are long distance so the steering doesn't get as much use as maybe a taxi would. Also, the net cost of the warranty to me would be about £550 because I wouldn't have to pay out for 2 years Toyota club.

Have just done that!

Will see what the answer is...

Ask what happens in those circumstances and you will get a quite different answer.

If you replace years with miles you get this answer...

In regards to your query I can confirm that I have contacted the Extended Warranty Department who have informed me that the components should be covered under an annual warranty rather than a mileage dependant warranty.

:help2: :help2: :help2: :help2:

Ask what happens in those circumstances and you will get a quite different answer.

If you replace years with miles you get this answer...

In regards to your query I can confirm that I have contacted the Extended Warranty Department who have informed me that the components should be covered under an annual warranty rather than a mileage dependant warranty.

:help2: :help2: :help2: :help2:

It's like wading in mud up to your armpits isn't it? The straight implication is that the 60,000 mile limit on the five year warranty means nothing and I can't believe that is what they intend. I think the next question has to be something like "Since the hybrid components are already covered by a five year annual warranty, can you therefore confirm that, having extended the mechanical warranty by two years, this warranty will not be invalidated if I exceed 60,000 miles during that period?"

This morning I received a letter extending my membership of Club Toyota as a result of taking out the two year extended warranty. Unfortunately the extension is only to 2013 when it should be 2014 so I telephoned them. I got some waffle about not yet having updated their records; impossible to believe when you consider that the letter mentions specifically that the extension results from taking out the extended warranty. They have promised to put it right.

It does not instil confidence.

It's like wading in mud up to your armpits isn't it?

Toyota GB did give me a contact at their warranty provider who came back with a promising...

The parts that's covered under the warranty are the following:

- Engine Components

- Clutch Kit (except for wear & tear)

- Gearbox Manual Transmission

- Automatic Transmission

- Front Wheel Drive Unit

- Rear Axle

- Propshaft

- Suspension

- Braking System

- Turbocharger

- Fuel System

- Diesel Injection Systems

- Electronic Ignition

- Electrics

- Oil Leaks

- Cooling System

- Steering

- Air Conditioning

- Casings

- Battery (The High Voltage Battery on Hybrid Vehicles only)

However, when i asked if this was the Toyota Extended Warranty and where the HSD system featured I got...

The information provided was for the Extended Warranties that we renew for customers in this department. I've spoken to our Claims department who advise some warranties will cover the item however they have advised for you to contact your selling dealership as they will be able to provide more information on the warranty they are selling.

Where is the smiley for pulling your hair out?

Some good news. The warranty company that Toyota put me in touch with have said...

We are the administrator's for the Toyota Extended Warranty. I have attached the copy of the Toyota Extended Warranty terms and conditions so you can be able to look through before purchasing the warranty.

So I have and it says...

2.1 Subject to the following provisions of this Section and of Section 3, We will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any Protected Part that suffers a Mechanical or Electrical Failure when the Protected Vehicle is in one of the Specified Territories during the Warranty Period, provided that You comply with these Terms and Conditions.

2.2 We will not pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any Protected Part that suffers a Mechanical or Electrical Failure as a result of wear and tear.

2.3 We will not pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any Protected Part that suffers a Mechanical or Electrical Failure when the Protected Vehicle has been kept outside the Home Country for longer than 60 consecutive days immediately before such failure.

2.4 We will not pay more than the Reasonable Costs of Repair for repairing or replacing any Protected Part subject in each case to the Repair Limit.

2.5 We will not provide Cover for Excluded Parts, Excluded Operations (see section 4) and the Excluded MOT Operations (see section 5)

And in the definitions...

Protected Part

Each mechanical or electrical part of the Protected Vehicle which is not an Excluded Part for which the Warranty Provider will provide Cover.

Excluded Part

Any part listed in Clause 4.1 which is excluded from the Cover .

And the excluded parts and operations are...

4.1 Subject to Clause 4.3, the following parts are Excluded Parts:

(a All body panels and paintwork.

(a All items of exterior and interior trim including brightwork.

(b Any battery other than the high voltage battery in a hybrid vehicle that is used for the propulsion of such vehicle.

(c Any windscreen or other window that has suffered impact damage.

(e All consumable items including without limitation fuel; engine oil; door and other lubricants; brake fluid; power steering

fuild, windscreen washer fluid; air conditioning recharges and any following parts which are deficient merely as result of usage: air filter; oil filters; brake pads; clutch plates; drive/cam belts; spark plugs; brealer points,; windscreen wiper blades; light bulbs and fuse; and tyre

(f An exhaust system which is deficient solely as a result of corrosion.

(g A wheel or wheel cover that is deficient merely as a result of abrasion, corrosion or impact damage.

(h Any Protected Part that has suffered a Mechanical or Electrical Failure as a result of the Protected Vehicle sustaining external impact damage.

(i All non standard Toyota parts.

4.2 Subject to Clause 4.3, the following operations are Excluded Operations:

(a Engine tuning; drive belt adjustments; brake and clutch adjustments; the cleaning of fuel systems; the alignment or balancing of wheels, light adjustments, and window and door lock adjustments.

(b Engine oil and filter changes.

(cThe lubrication of chassis points, hinges, linkages and topping up fluid levels.

(d Any other routine servicing operation.

(e The repair or replacement of any Protected Part that has not suffered a Mechanical or Electrical Failure.

4.3 Where the Mechanical or Electrical Failure of a Protected Part directly causes damage to another part of the Protected Vehicle (which is not a Protected Part) when the Protected Vehicle is in a Specified Territory during the Warranty Period, then We will pay for the cost of replacing or repairing that other part in addition to the cost of replacing or repairing the Protected Part subject to the Repair Limit, provided that the cost of such repairs are reasonable.

So the HV Battery is covered and the HSD system is not specifically excluded so should be protected.

Looking at the T&Cs, it would seem that the extended warranty also provides MOT failure cover. And interestingly, there are limits as to when an extended warranty can be taken out...

Eligible vehicle

A Toyota vehicle which -

(a has been branded and sold by Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA in Europe as a Category M1, M1G, N1 or N1G Toyota motor vehicle;

(b has not been modified structurally, mechanically or electronically otherwise than with the permission of Our holding company, Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA or save for the purpose of enabling it to be lawfully re-registered in the United Kingdom;

(c has standard Toyota wheels and normal road tyres fitted to it;

(d has been type approved such to as to enable it to be lawfully registered in the Home Territory.

(f (in the case of a 12 month warranty) is less than 8 years old and has less than 100,000 miles on its milometer at the start of the first

Warranty Period if the vehicle was not purchased through the Toyota Approved Used Car Programme with the benefit of a Toyota Extended Warranty; or

(g (in the case of a 12 month warranty) is less than 8 years old at the start of the Warranty Period if You are renewing an earlier Toyota

Extended Warranty without any break in cover; or

(h in the case of a 24 month warranty) is less than 7 years old and has less than 100,000 miles on its milometer at the start of the first Warranty Period if the vehicle was not purchased through the Toyota Approved Used Car Programme with the benefit of a Toyota Extended Warranty; or

(i in the case of a 24 month warranty) is less than 7 years old at the start of the Warranty Period if You are renewing an earlier Toyota

Extended Warranty without any break in cover .

(Notes: (1) All Toyota vehicles imported into the United Kingdom by Toyota (GB) PLC and sold by Toyota (GB) PLC or a Service Centre in the United Kingdom the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man meet qualifying conditions (a)-(d); (2) The fitting of a Toyota approved accessory will not be treated as a modification for the purpose of condition (b; (3) We will not provide a Toyota Extended Warranty for any vehicle which is older than 8 years from the date of its first registration.

So it would seem that providing you have continuous extended warranty cover, there is no upper mileage limit and you can go to a max of 9 years cover.

Will see if that is the same T&Cs that the dealer has.

thanks for that, looks like the persistence paid off (hopefully the dealer will agree with the above)

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

The dealer's service manager has confirmed that the Toyota Extended Warranty does cover the HSD and HV Battery even if they have reached their 60,000 miles original warranty. If you get the unlimited mileage TEW, it does what it says. The warranty is for 2 years (or 1 year) regardless of mileage. So for high milers, this is a bonus.

Update:

The dealer's service manager has confirmed that the Toyota Extended Warranty does cover the HSD and HV battery even if they have reached their 60,000 miles original warranty. If you get the unlimited mileage TEW, it does what it says. The warranty is for 2 years (or 1 year) regardless of mileage. So for high milers, this is a bonus.

Well done. Excellent result. I trust that you have it in writing?

• 5 weeks later...

Deal done with local dealer for 2 year extended warranty and service plan including free MOTs.

Paying by direct debit over 20 months (no interest charge) instead of upfront payment. :thumbsup:

Also includes 2 years club toyota membership so a saving there too.

Downside is Mr T (head office) have forgotten to start the club toyota from when the current one ends so at the moment I have two concurrent club toyota memberships on the same vehicle. :no: