Do Not Sell My Personal Information

85Mpg Over 250 Miles

HoneyBear1980

My 08 plate 2.2 Diesel Verso SR has just done 67k miles and I guess is about run in. It's maybe a little noiser than when new, but does rev a little easier.

Anyway, i've just done a 250 mile round trip through Essex & Suffolk (pretty flat, mainly dual carriage way but with some hills) & the average mpg on the computer was 85.4 mpg. I didn't break any speed limits but kept up with traffic (HGVs at least!).

I'll have to check when I next fill up exactly how much fuel it has been using however I expect it to be less than 70 mpg in 'real world'.

I think that's pretty good for such a heavy, chunky vehicle... however has anyone had there's over 85 mpg over a decent run on the average trip computer display. I just ask as i've never managed it & i'm not sure if the car is capable of much more.

I will try again when I replace my front tyres (original Dunlops with some tread left), they are noisy, wear pretty fast (since I put them on the front after 50k miles) & I think they don't 'roll' as well as my rears (Michelin Energy tyres).

If anyone has any eco tips let me know!

Is this a mickey-take by any chance ? 85 MPG from a 2.2 TD - seriously ?

Firstly, I wouldn't have thought that was at all possible. Even to get over 50 MPG you'd have to drive like a saint (never over the speed limit, accelerating extremely gently & quite possibly making a nuisance of yourself on the road).

I don't know of anyone on here who gets anywhere near that figure in the real world, so perhaps your trip computer is telling porkies ? Try a brim to brim refuel & work out what fuel your car has actually used, then you'll get a much more accurate figure.

Gotta agree, its just not feasible to get 85mpg from a 2.2d or a 2.0d for that matter (I know, I`ve tried)

I've managed ~56mpg in my Avensis Tourer before on long motorway runs but generally I work on an average of 45mpg for my mixed motoring.

After doing a good few more miles today (quite a bit around town sadly) I have just topped up & put 43.5 litres in. That has filled it up. The trip computer shows that I covered 617 miles - i'm not sure what that is in mpg so will have a go at finding out tonight.

I suspect it is somewhat short of the 78.8 mpg that the average trip mpg was showing as I pulled into the petrol station however.

After doing a good few more miles today (quite a bit around town sadly) I have just topped up & put 43.5 litres in. That has filled it up. The trip computer shows that I covered 617 miles - i'm not sure what that is in mpg so will have a go at finding out tonight.

I suspect it is somewhat short of the 78.8 mpg that the average trip mpg was showing as I pulled into the petrol station however.

64.48 mpg

Well, 64 mpg isn't too bad I guess, bit disappointed that it's way off the average trip computer mpg mind.

I'm pretty sure that without the town driving and with some eco tyres on the front that 70 mpg is a possibility with the 2.2 D4D.

Well, 64 mpg isn't too bad I guess,

Its damn good ! :clap: :clap:

Just brimmed mine with 23.6 litres of Shells finest after 304 urban miles over 4 weeks. :)

Just brimmed mine with 23.6 litres of Shells finest after 304 urban miles over 4 weeks. :)

So around 58.5 MPG ! I have no idea how you 'guys' are managing that. I'm not a leadfooted driver but I have never seen above 44.5 MPG on mine for an overall/average figure. Considering that the ridiculous (and usually unachievable fig) for a 2.2 SR model is 45.6 MPG, I'm doing very well & I have no idea how slowly you must be driving to achieve high 50's (let alone 60+ !).

Perhaps mine is very ready for it's service & may see an improvement after :P

My old 2003 d4d 89bhp will give me readings of 92 on such journeys at the end of the end of the journey it reads anything between 64 & 83 this model seems to like 60 or 80 to give this kind of mileage.Can anyone give me links to parts.Very hard to find.

My Verso has always given 50 - 60 mpg on average & I don't hang about. When accelerating I normally floor it coming out of roundabouts etc (with the ESC kicking in even in the dry in 3rd gear, especially with the original Dunlops on the front). However I do use cruise control when on dual carriage ways etc & normally stick to 65 mph unless in a hurry. I have found that my mpg drops off dramatically when above 65 mph / 1800 rpm.

I actually think flooring it a couple of times a day is key to keeping the engine running well as after several miles at 65 mph & 1800 rpm the exhaust seems to get 'bunged up' as the next time I put my foot to the floor in 3rd & 4th gear so much crap comes out of the back you struggle to see the convertable behind!

I think the 2.2 D4D is a cracking engine, just a little bit noisy at idle from outside the car, grumbly... but not in a nice way...

Well whatever's giving you such great economy is to be celebrated - so lucky you ! :) I also give mine a bit of stick in 3rd or 4th to make sure the EGR doesn't clog up. It very rarely emits any soot out the back, so hopefully I'm doing something right & the regeneration device is still working.

Now that my work has changed to part-time (so far) & it's further away, most of my journeys are 40-75 mls each way. That ought to help if wasn't for all the neanderthals doing 35-40 mph in 60 mph zones ! I don't blame truckers doing 40 mph - they're just complying with the law.

I guess the dpf on your 2.2 D4D will be stopping most of the black soot. Without the dpf on the Verso it just all gets chucked straight out of the back!

Maybe the dpf is increasing your fuel consumption preventing you getting nearer 60 mpg it should be able to do? I would have thought the Auris would be lighter too & able to cut through the air better.

Without the dpf on the Verso it just all gets chucked straight out of the back!

No DPF on mine and very very rarely see any smoke :)

I guess the dpf on your 2.2 D4D will be stopping most of the black soot. Without the dpf on the Verso it just all gets chucked straight out of the back!

Maybe the dpf is increasing your fuel consumption preventing you getting nearer 60 mpg it should be able to do? I would have thought the Auris would be lighter too & able to cut through the air better.

Probably nail on head right there ! The DPF is known to cause much more obstruction in the exhaust sytem, so it stands to reason that it won't make as much to the gallon.

I can get 4.2 litres to 100 kilometers. Drive gently , keep the tyres at slightly higher tyre pressures than normal. I never brake unless it is absolutely necessary.

Descending hills where you need to slow down or stop - keep the car in gear and use no throttle - no fuel used.

Descending hills where you have no need to slow take the car out of gear and roll - make use of the free energy!

To slow for any turn anticipate the turn and keep in gear and roll to the turn - saves brakes and fuel.

I used to be a speed freak now I realise that driving slower saves money and you arrive at a similiar or just a few seconds later than the person thrashing their car just to acheive a high fuel bill.

Save fuel, tyres, brake linings - just drive more gently enjoy some tunes on the CD player!

I have an idea that could save the world millions on fuel bills - but I will save that for another day.

I bet it is folding in the wing mirrors on fast motorways to reduce drag!

No chaps it is simpler and a way for all to save fuel.

So if it's that simple, why not just tell us & get on with it ?

There are many ways of saving fuel, but one thing more than any that wastes it is having to brake for people doing very slow speeds in 60 zones & then having to overtake them just to make decent legal progress. I can't be the only one that finds this very annoying. If everyone sat at a respectable speed out on the open road, there would be no need to overtake in the 1st place. Thus - a lot of fuel saved !

Six-speed gearboxes were not designed for trundling along at 40 mph, with the engine barely ticking over & in a diesel engine becoming very clogged up. This behaviour & lots of short run cold starts is exactly why DPF's & catalysts fail early. Not to mention the dreaded EGR valves .......

Please note I am writing this with the benefit of seeing things from different angles, as I am a regular car & heavy goods driver plus a motorcyclist.

My 10 year old 600cc motorbike regularly achieves 52 MPG with varied use. It has 4 carburettors & no catalyst because it's so clean.

My 4.5 year old 2.2 SR180 achieves an average of 42 MPG. It has fuel injection & a very complex exhaust/emission system to keep it clean.

Is 52mpg on a motorbike good?! My friend has just passed his CBT and his CBF gets over a hundred!! :lol:

But yeah, I hate it when people go slow in national speed limit zones; That said, I try to rein in my annoyances, esp if it's a country road as it may be the person isn't familiar or is looking for a turn - I've witnessed many near misses by asshats tailgating people doing 40 down twisty roads and then had to brake sharply as the slow-mover slows to turn into a side road or dirt track.

I suspect traffic jams are mostly caused by people following too closely so they have to brake more which in turn forces the person behind to brake and that wave of braking just travels back down the road until people end up stopping - This is why you get so many situations on the motorway where there is a traffic jam for no apparent reason.

I was on the M1 the other day through heavy traffic and I had to touch the brake about 3 times whereas the car in front of me had its brake lights on half the time! :lol:

52 MPG from a bike that can do 0-60 in 3.5 secs & go on to 165 mph is outstanding ! The CBF won't get anywhere near that. Oh & yes I do use that performance on track & derestricted autobahns :)

• 1 year later...

Mmm...I have to say that my 58 plate 2.2 reads town driving 36-39 mpg and motorway 45 mpg.

It's just had a 60000 mile service too!

85 mpg????????