Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'drivers Lights' On Rav4 4.2 2000(X) Vvti. Sealed Unit?

BeechCustom

Hey all. My 2000 vvti 5dr Rav4 has the optional 'drivers lights' fitted - these are Bosch spotlights that are attatched to the front bumper. The left one has blown a bulb (has part number 0306055001 stamped on it) so I need to find out if they are sealed units or whether I can just replace the bulb. I've had a quick look and I can't see any way of getting the glass off to expose the bulb. Am I right in thinking it's a sealed unit? If so it's gonna be around £85 to replace the unit. Obviously a bulb would be a much cheaper option hence my asking the question.

Many thanks!

You mean the ones Toyota fit as a dealer option?

It's quite a while since I owned my 4.2, but I'm fairly certain the fronts of the spots just unscrew (The large "ring" surrounding the glass). I painted mine to silver and took them apart to do it, so if they are the same, they should come apart fairly easily

4-2spots.jpg

Yes those are the ones! The outer (black on mine) ring unscrews to reveal the lamp but my question is, is the lamp a sealed unit or can the glass be removed to get at the bulb. I've had a good look and it doesn't seem like the glass can be removed thus the whole lamp (minus the black rubber housing) needs replacing.

I can't remember whether the whole lamp unit (i.e. glass plus reflector) pops out of the plastic housing (I'm fairly certain it's that), or the glass comes off the front, but if the design is the same, the bulbs can definitely be changed.

I'm fairly sure the bulbs are the type with a flying lead connection with a lucar on the end.

Yeah the whole unit pops out away from the rubber housing but I really can't see how the glass can be parted from the reflector - it looks to be a sealed unit. Are you absolutely sure you can replace a bulb only rather than the whole unit? Mine is the same as yours in the pic. Toyota dealer 'almost certain' the unit is sealed and thus requires complete unit replacement at a cost of £89. :-(

It's 8 to 10 years since I did this, but don't the bulbs just come out/unclip from the back of the reflector? I'm sure I had the bulbs out. Perhaps the design is a bit different to what I had.

Doh! I was completely missing the fact that the bulb can be unclipped from the rear of the reflector!!!! You may have saved me a fair few quid (although the glass is frosted up when the bulb went pop so may end up replacing whole thing anyway). Many thanks!!! :-)

If the lights are a dealer fit option, does that mean that the wiring for them is already part of the car? I've often thought about adding some extra lights, this would make it even easier!

If the lights are a dealer fit option, does that mean that the wiring for them is already part of the car? I've often thought about adding some extra lights, this would make it even easier!

From what I remember about them, the lamps come with a wiring loom which then plugged into the main loom

Kingo :thumbsup:

Me, Jealous of other Pimps? Never :D

On the matter of these driving lights, it is as described above pretty much :yes:

The kit comes with a loom as well as the lamp fittings and is NOT a cheap kit so if you cannot clean the lens up, I would be inclined to replace the two lamps with aftermarket versions in preference to get a single replacement from Toyota (the fittings themselves as far as the lamp housing goes is pretty much universal, so should be able to use just about any other pair of lamps)

Word of caution though ... it is very easy to trap a wire when taking apart to replace a bulb (I did just this when I fitted upgraded lamps after one of the original failed).

Also, the Relay that comes with the kit is not a very high quality one and allows water ingress very easily, so worth checking if that is exposed and get some tape on mating points to help protect it (use self-amalgamating tape for best results)

This thread reminded me that I have a pair of unused lamps which I picked out of the Halfords' bargain bin for a couple of quid some years ago. I had a CR-V at the time, but couldn't decide on a sensible place to fit them.

They'll go nicely where the ones discussed above are fitted, although I'll have to buy the wire, connectors and relay.

To be legal, they must only operate with full-beam headlights, correct? But I notice that there is no switch with the Toyota kit. Would there be any point in having the lamps switchable as well as powered via the relay and full-beam wire? Would it still be legal?

Steve, in that list, make sure you add a fuse in the circuit!

I replaced the Toyota Relay (after failure) fitted with integral fuse with a non-fused relay with intention of fitting a fuse in the circuit latinbox the following weekend but didn't get round to it :(

Bad mistake!

Aha! I have a spare in-line blade fuse fitting somewhere.