Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really Embarrasing Question From Not A Newbie

Tony Barnsley

:blush: :blush: :blush:

My name is Tony and I have a problem :blush:

Just how do I measure the oil level in a RAV 2AD??

I know sounds obvious take the dipstick out, wipe it on a rag, replace it, draw it out again and the level should be between the upper and lower '!Removed!' . . . sorry marks on the end of the dipstick.

Correct . . . no?

Here is my dilemma, if I push the dipstick all the way home, and then take the reading, it reads half way between the full mark, and the first twist in on the stick i.e. Overfull! . . . If I push the dipstick home until the O ring just reaches the top of the tube then the level reads just under the top mark . . . i.e just under full.

I am a bear of very little brain, at the moment. my quandary is that the dealer 'filled it up to the mark' when they did my injectors and found the 'Black Sludge Of Death', if indeed it was overfilled how will they know that I have used oil in the 1000 mile test?

And according to the handbook overfilling can cause engine issues as well.

To be frank they are a !Removed! to measure. You don't know if you are dipping the oil or an air buble. It sometimes helps if you turn the dipstick over or take the measurement first thing in the morning before starting. I also find doing it 2 or 3 times you might get lucky and as soon as you see a solid mark all the way round you can accept it.

I can tell you that was one of the improvements on the 150 engine - it is easy now.

Don't worry if the oil gets low, you can always get a longer dipstick (joke, it's a joke, don't do it!!!).

Tony, have you noticed it also reads higher on one side of the stick to the other?

Tony, have you noticed it also reads higher on one side of the stick to the other?

Now just don't Start!!

Errrr, Yes :)

Look do I just shove it all the way into the hole, or just until the ring reaches the hole ;)

Well, I find all the way in, with a twist prior to withdrawl, seems to give the most satisfactory results.................

I remeber a chap who ran a Fiat 500. His dipstick broke in half and fell inside the sump so he never bothered either dipping the oil or changing it. No news is good news.

Tony, level ground, first thing in the morning before you start it after it has been left overnight and yes all the way in....

Gus

That was the straight answer let all the jokes start :yahoo:

50 shades of Grey, from a dipstick prospective!!!!!!

Shut up Clare your taking this to another level :censor:

I always leave it in overnight to soak....... so to speak :naughty:

<<<Using my best Churchill dog impression>>> Oh yes! :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Kingo, try chips cheese and gravy,a local Manx delicacy, beats pie and gravy anyday!!!!

Regards Clare

Clare, Chips cheese and gravy does not contain the word PIE, how could anything without PIE in it be any good? :D: :D: :D:

I think you need an educational trip to my house :naughty:

King Steako Pieo :thumbsup:

50 shades of Grey, from a dipstick prospective!!!!!!

Shut up Clare your taking this to another level :censor:

You're giving a bit too much away there, Girl............