Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tales Of Woe!

supervast650

First proper post and apologies for it being long winded.

My 2008 2.2D4D had been running fine until June. I noticed the diesel knock people refer too. Being a born worrier I took it to my local Toyota dealer (not mentioning what Tayside town as I haven't read rules if I can say names). There the "head technician" started the car and said nothing up. He took it for a spin and told me its fine and I am driving the car like an old granny. Now I do 120miles a day most dual carriage way between 65-70 (honest) and a bit of B road blasting. So I couldn't understand the comment, both Head technician and Service Manager said that my driving style is clogging the engine and just fire some diesel injector cleaner and I'll be sorted! I was ubiked off at this point and left.

Two weeks later the knock got significantly worse. Took it to the garage and this time they said an injector was badly out of spec (no4) and the other three were slightly out too. But they wanted to change no4 and it would cost £1024! I told them no chance as the car had only done 55,000ish fully serviced miles. So I contacted Toyota UK who instructed "said " garage to do a fault report. Then the following sequence happened:

• Garage has car two days to do diagnosis and when asked if I can see printout of results get told they don't have any.
  • Damage the wing and try to fix it badly that i noticed. They accepted and walked off, if I never seen it they'd never have confessed.
  • 6 weeks go by and no word about whether the warranty was accepted. They called to say I need to return the car for another diagnosis check for 2 days. This was and i quote "To hopefully get warranty approved.
  • On sunday No4 injector imploded/exploded leaving the car running like a bag of old spanners.
  • I phoned Toyota UK on Monday to see about the report being filed. Suprise surprise they were still awaiting "said dealer" to send results through
  • I spoke to the dealers After Sales Manager Monday morning explaining all of the above. He checked everything and no warranty claim had been filed by the service dept. In short they were either not bothered or were going to put me in a position where I had to pay for the repair.
  • Got a call from the After Sales Manager today (Tuesday) to say warranty is approved and I am getting 4 new injectors and plumbing as I am apparently getting MK2 injectors?

So I am sorted now and not £4K out of pocket but I wanted to draw awareness to the dealer and ask a few questions:

1. Is there a Mk1 and Mk2 injector?
  2. Is there anything or series of things I can do to preserve the new injectors? Certain garages only for diesel, clearing the EGR by doing the revving once a week as explained in the new owners section/
  3. Should I continue filling the tank when its low or should I fill up when its down to a quarter of tank?
  4. Any other hints and tips?

I had a 08 2.0D4D saloon for two years (from new) and traded in for the tourer as I hated the boot. It ran trouble free and was a great car, the 2.2 however has been a shed or I have been a touch unlucky??

i've got the 2.0d4d so not sure how relevant but its done 162,000 with no problems like that,i think they don't like getting low on fuel,i try and keep mine over a quater,have you ever cleaned the egr valve?

No Haven't cleaned it in the year and a bit I've owned it. I will look at the walk through guide and also looked at the newbie guide so should be better placed to keep it running.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links