Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Nv Model, Waste Gate / Sensor

Rav NV

Hi all, been looking on forum at Rav 4 info, I own Toyota Rav 4 2L Turbo NV Model, I've recently had a problem develop, in short car hessatates when accelarating, had a engine check fault code P1250 came up, turbo fault/suspect turbo vac sensor/wastegate fault.

Posted the above comment in newbie section a while ago, since I posted I've been going nuts trying to solve the above problem, Removed stripped and cleaned EGR unit, car runs better plus MPG as increased but hesittation still there. to cut it short someone suggested that I change all vacume pipes, done that and things now seem to be running ok, BUT I'm not convinced this as solved the problem long term.

Any help / advice would be helpful.

Hi Anchorman,

not got a clue how to do that! to be honest I'm still bit confused as to what sensor is where and what it does, perhaps you could explain about the VSV, Haynes manual is good but can be a bit low on info about sensors, but to be fair they can't be to indepth.

Hi

Yes the turbo output is controlled by that vacuum unit that sits on top. It is worked by vacuum from the same exhauster that works the brake servo. The output of the turbo is varied by that vacuum unit which is linked to nozzles in the inlet.

The little VSV (vacuum sensing valve) sits in the middle of the pipe from the exhauster to the turbo and recives information from the engine management ECU to tell it how much to open the turbo nozzles. It is like a variable valve that is computer controlled. It can stick but you might be able to check if it is affecting the operation by simply disconnecting the two pipes and bridging them with a bit if tube then give it a test run.

This pdf explains the layout;

Valve layout.pdf

Thanks for that anchorman, I will have ago at that friday when I have my dinner break at work, thanks for the valve layout very handy.

one more question, in one of the vac tubes that leads to the wastegate valve, :unsure: (looks like a flying saucer located top right of the turbo, held on by 2 x 10mm bolts) well half way down the vac tube is what looks like an in line filter? whats the reason for that ? Never seen any referance about it in Haynes book.

Thanks for that anchorman, I will have ago at that friday when I have my dinner break at work, thanks for the valve layout very handy.

one more question, in one of the vac tubes that leads to the wastegate valve, :unsure: (looks like a flying saucer located top right of the turbo, held on by 2 x 10mm bolts) well half way down the vac tube is what looks like an in line filter? whats the reason for that ? Never seen any referance about it in Haynes book.

You have to be patient with that reply button. 7 replies all saying the same!!!

The valve is a little restrictor to stop that vac unit snapping shut or open. It stops flat spots if you floor the throttle.

There is no wastegate as such. That vac unit is attached to a restrictor valve in the turbo called a variable nozzle and that controls the flow of air. None of the turbo pressure is vented to atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

Anchorman, been a bit busy at work to get things done on car but got to make some positive moves now, I take it that the VSV is the RED valve that's under & connected to the Turbo pressure sensor ? and the Black one is the VRV ( Vacuum regulating valve) ?

Went to Mallory park yesterday and car was running very poor, so got to get it sorted now.

Thanks for the advice / help, I'm very grateful.

Have a look in the other post by bluebones. He has a photo.

thanks I will have a look for that post.

Found the post by Bluebones, I know what I'm aiming at now, think i'll start looking at replacing the VRV / VSV, as I said got to take positive steps now, going on hols at weekend so got to act quick.

Thanks Anchorman :thumbsup:

Anchorman, did the bypass on the VRV/ VSV at dinner break, went a short run and still got the hesitation plus power loss, engine warning light never came on, so got back & put things back as they should be, strange thing is it ran ok on way home from work.

got a chap nipping into my work on Thursday from a local garage, he's going to hook it up to is diagnostic gizmo to see what code comes up, he's going to clear it at the same time, is clearing the fault codes straight forward job ? I've never seen or had this done before so don't know what to look out for, like the do's & don't do's.

He will clear the codes with the code reader. It's very simple but he may struggle to read a 2001 model unles he has some swish kit. You can get them manually but see how he goes first. It would be worth taking that vale off and squirting WD40 inside. Then shake it vigourously to free up the shuttle inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anchorman, been a while since I posted but had a lot happen since last post.

In short Bloke who was going to clear codes never turned up, but I've had that done now by some one else for free & he had a top notch Snap-On scanner, told you everything except what you'd had for dinner!!

Went on holiday car was ok but not as it should be, Coming back from Dorset I noticed car had developed a horrible vibration / rattle when accelerating up the gears, in short had to have a new DMF & Clutch kit fitted yesterday,

Now this was a shock to me, but the chap who did it for me saved the DMF / Clutch etc.. for me to look at he is 90% sure it was the original DMF/clutch etc what the car was fitted with when new, if it is I'd be amazed after 108,000 miles, all I've got to go on his I've never had a new clutch etc in the past 5 years while I've had the Rav & no trace of one being fitted by previous owners and I've got the service history when I got the car, Fly wheel had shot it, clutch plate well worn looking at it it's a wonder I had a clutch at all! Car runs like a new one now very smooth & it's made hell of a difference.

Not had any more hesitating problems again YET ! but I know that's a separate issue and nothing to do with the DMF / Clutch.

Thanks Anchorman for your help / advice very grateful indeed.