Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Lack Of Power

p1ranhas

hi newbie here on for first time, last week while driving my 2005 2.2 d4d t spirit, the missus over revved in first gear, i heard a blowing noise from under the bonnet, like a hose popping or an air line being removed, instantly the car lost power and now feels like there is no turbo boost. there were no warning lights on the dash, no smoke from the exhaust. the engine still lacks power and revs through the range with no turbo boost. it doesnt look like the actuator rod on the turbo vacuum diaphragm is operating, any ideas what to check before i throw money at a dealer?

cheers

hi mate

- undo intake rubber hose from the turbo and try to rotate the shaft -- is it rotated easy or ...?

at the same time check with rotor play in both axis and radial directions. your observations are required on here;

- it seems yout turbo is equipped with variable vanes -- check with their rotation around respective axis pins;

- open EGR -- check with carbon deposits right there - the holes must be free (both)

- check with VSC on the turbo

- check with condition of engine air filter -- is that clogged or not?

- check with both SCV on the pump -- their solenoid coils resistances must be an equal with manual recorded

regards / Igor

hi newbie here on for first time, last week while driving my 2005 2.2 d4d t spirit, the missus over revved in first gear, i heard a blowing noise from under the bonnet, like a hose popping or an air line being removed, instantly the car lost power and now feels like there is no turbo boost. there were no warning lights on the dash, no smoke from the exhaust. the engine still lacks power and revs through the range with no turbo boost. it doesnt look like the actuator rod on the turbo vacuum diaphragm is operating, any ideas what to check before i throw money at a dealer?

cheers

Hello, I would guess at the rubber hose having come off the intercooler or turbo, anyway I have attached a .pdf file of the intake system.

Pete.

INTAKE.pdf

Hi,

checked resistances on vsc and seemed all ok, removed and cleared the egr which was blocked, no change in the power output. gave in and took it to a dealer who found a hose blown on the intercooler which was reattached and the car passed fit. after two miles of running well the temperature came up to normal and the engine lost power again, the dealer now says the turbo is gone. due to the intake pipe being bent through 90 degrees i cant access the shaft or turbine wheels to check ease of rotation or axial play without removing the volute casing. not totally convinced the dealer is right here, it powers up normally until the temperature increases to normal, i would have thought it would have provided zero boost from start up no mmatter what the engine temperature was?

it seems your turbo needs overhauling.

your task is to bring it to good workshop and to purchase repair kit preliminary (contact Mr Parts King on here)

now it is so strange those rubber hose is blown -- why ??? mechanical damage or ???

regards / Igor

Hi,

checked resistances on vsc and seemed all ok, removed and cleared the egr which was blocked, no change in the power output. gave in and took it to a dealer who found a hose blown on the intercooler which was reattached and the car passed fit. after two miles of running well the temperature came up to normal and the engine lost power again, the dealer now says the turbo is gone. due to the intake pipe being bent through 90 degrees i cant access the shaft or turbine wheels to check ease of rotation or axial play without removing the volute casing. not totally convinced the dealer is right here, it powers up normally until the temperature increases to normal, i would have thought it would have provided zero boost from start up no mmatter what the engine temperature was?

Seems very strange that, are you sure the hose has not come off the intercooler again? The slightly complicated hose clip does need to be fitted correctly and it's not easy to get at on your car.

Regards Pete.

Hi,

the hose is definitely still in place, the car sounds and drives normally and i can tell the turbo is spooling up and providing pressure unti it gets to normal running temp then nothing. i have found a couple of turbos on fleabay which look like my unit. there are "check compatible vehicles" checks on the page which are quoting my 2005 2.2 d4d t spirit estate as a T25 variant - is this correct? how can i tell what a t25 variant is?

i have a part number from the turbo unit - 1.17201-oro10 - which i can see on one of these turbos for sale but not sure what variant my car is now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links