Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent Help Needed With D4D

Tanny

Hi can anybody advise please asap.

I have a 54 plate D4d Avensis which was going into limp mode about 4 months ago. I was told by my mechanic that it was the turbo, which I then had reconned. Car was ok for about 3 monthsbut recently the same problem occurred. I took it back and was told the turbo was fine.

Here's where it gets interesting, I took it to Toyota dealers last week and they charged me for a diagnosis which was that it was the turbo. I explained it was reconned but anyway I took it back to turbo people who still said turbo was fine but still literally replaced half of the turbo anyway. The problem still persisted. The mechanic has checked EGR, CAT etc which are all fine.

I took it back to the dealers again and this time they think its the fuel filter. When I questioned why it was diagnosed differently last time and if this is correct I was pretty much fobbed off without an answer apart from the threat that I will be charged for more diagnostic checks. I am waiting to speak to the shop manager tomorrow.

Can they charge me again after the incorrect diagnosis last time and does anybody know how to solve the problem?

Please help.

Thanks

T

hi matey

pay attention on both SCV mounted on the fuel injection pump.

it looks they do not want to live with you peacefully -- have their coils resistance measured and compare with manual.

even though minor deviation is disclosed -- you should change them both to have an equal performance

cheers / Igor

• Like 1

Thanks Igormus for your advice.

Unfortunately, you're talking to a total novice here. Any chance you could break it down in simpler English?????

I spoke to dealers who have said the fuel filter still needs changing. I feel as though they are advising me to guess and just get components changed until the problem is solved. Is this what they should be advising?

Thanks

ok

Suction control valve (SCV)x2 pcs are mounted on the pump having 12V control solenoids -- just have their resistance measured + compared with manual. in case this R is deviated then most probably the valve stem plays inside giving no sufficient fuel to the pump.

as to fuel filter -- it was first thing to do -- and we all have understood this one has already been inspected by YOU

you asked forum for help -- we do our best for you matey

regards / Igor

Many thanks Igor.

I will speak to the mechanic and see what he comes back with.

Really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

T

Many thanks Igor.

I will speak to the mechanic and see what he comes back with.

Really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

T

Hi Igor

I have had the fuel filter changed and it has made no difference. The next step as you have kindly advised is to check the resistance on the solenoids.

I've not had much luck with mechanics etc. I was hoping to do this myself but have no manual, could you provide information on how to do this please?

if there is a difference in resistance on the solenoids, does that mean I need to change the pump or can i get away with changing the solenoids?

Again many thanks for your help.

T

Hi Igor

I have had the fuel filter changed and it has made no difference. The next step as you have kindly advised is to check the resistance on the solenoids.

I've not had much luck with mechanics etc. I was hoping to do this myself but have no manual, could you provide information on how to do this please?

if there is a difference in resistance on the solenoids, does that mean I need to change the pump or can i get away with changing the solenoids?

T

my car kept going into limp mode and i thought it was the turbo. i found a new mechanic who used to work for toyota but now he had his own garage. he said he would only put a turbo in in the last case scanerio. in the end i paid him 150 euro. he took a pile of stuff out and cleaned them top to bottom. the car has down 10000 miles since without going into limp mode or so much as a stutter.

Hi Igor

T

HelloTanny, you say you have no manual .... well here is complete coverage of the Avensis fuel & intake system in .pdf form.

Regards Pete.

AVENSIS FUEL SYTSTEM.pdf

AVENSIS INTAKE SYSTEM.pdf

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Will look in to manuals in depth to see if there is anything around what Igor advised and if Igor can provide anything direct.

Kcummins, I have had almost every component cleaned out like turbo, egr, cat, manifold but still problem exists. I think i need your mechanics details...lol.

Appreciate all help.

T

Hi

Can anybody provide instructions on how to check the resistance on the solenoids?? The manuals don't seem to show.

Thanks

T

Hi

Can anybody provide instructions on how to check the resistance on the solenoids?? The manuals don't seem to show.

Thanks

T

Hello again, you need a decent multimeter set on ohms and see the attached picture, remove the connector plug from the fuel injection pump and test across the 2 terminals on the solenoid on the pump.

Pete.

Hi

Thanks

T

Hello again, you need a decent multimeter set on ohms and see the attached picture, remove the connector plug from the fuel injection pump and test across the 2 terminals on the solenoid on the pump 1.5 - 2.3 ohms, don't worry to much about the 20c part as you will be near enough this time of year.

Pete.

post-74463-0-63343600-1345294825_thumb.j

thank you PETE for base support

even minor resistance deviation compels the valve to work abnormally.

regards / Igor

you ve changed fuel filter

what is condition ??? dirty or not ??

have you bleed the system ?

another minor issue is an air suction into the system thru filter lid or cracked rubber hoses.

by the way - re turbo -- please rotate all vanes ---- and clearly state how do they go;

check also with VSV on the turbo and an impulse tube to have good vacuum signal to the actuator (cylinder mounted on the turbo body)

regards / Igor

HI Igor

Thanks for getting back to me.

The turbo has been recon and the fuel filter is brand new and the system has been bled.

I will see where I get with your advice in the next few days and feedback.

Thanks again

T

Hi there guys

I have checked the resistance as advised. It seems to be fluctuating between 2.6 and 2.8 ohms which I believe is above what it should be.

Does this mean that the solenoid needs replacing?

Thanks

T

Hi there guys

I have checked the resistance as advised.  It seems to be fluctuating between 2.6 and 2.8 ohms which I believe is above what it should be.

Does this mean that the solenoid needs replacing?

Please advise further.

Thanks

T

hi Tanny

now ye task is to comuniacte with mechanic in order to compare an actual readings with repair manual.

each SCV cost money and if you will need new ones -- then Mr Parts King will offer it at discount for TOC members.

Cheers / igor

2.6 and 2.8 ohms -- what temperature you have measured at ???

if an actual readings are in fact more then what do you have ---- the valve is not opened in full giving no sufficient fuel to the pump.

regards / Igor

Thanks Igor.

I didn't have a manual previously but t-spiritpete kindly uploaded one in a previous post(see page 1). According to that the resistance should be 1.3ohms-2.3ohms at 20C.

Mine was fluctuating between 2.6 ohms and 2.8 ohms at 20C. Do you think I should go ahead and replace the solenoid?

Thanks

T

yes -- they are about to burn out

cheers / Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Igor

The saga continues. I managed to get hold of the solenoid and had it fit in today.

Unfortunately, the problem still exists. If anything I would say the car was behaving even worse.

We managed to take the reading off the new solenoid at the recommended temperature and strangely it was fluctuating between 2.8 and 3.0 ohms. I don't understand this as the reading was higher than the old solenoid as shown on previous posts. I thought a new solenoids reading would be what t-spiritpete manual was showing on previous posts but it was even higher.

Please advise further.

Thanks

T

ok what do we have now?

- SCV have been installed as new ? And their control contacts seem to be good?

- EGR -- has been cleaned?

- fuel filter has been changed ? air escaped ?

- Turbo has been recon and found in order?

- Turboo variable vanes are rotated smoothly ?

- Have you inspected an impulse tube connecting both turmo actuator and suction manifold ?

- comon rail pressure sensor -- please check with condition of its el contact + check its performance (consult with mechanic);

- check with injection timing -- as vissible we are pushed in the "corner" ;

- check with error reader unit -- whether or not some errors have been stored in memory?

cheers / Igor

• 2 weeks later...