Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member In Need Of Advice Please.

Michael J S

Hello everyone,

I am sorry that my first post is a request for help, but if anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

My Rav 4 XT4 D4D 07 plate 2.2 Diesel 116,000 miles has been losing water, I took it to my local garage today and was told that following a sniffer test that there is pressurising in the header tank, this may be being caused by exhaust gases. My garage rang a local dealer and they say that my engine may have blown and that it may need to be replaced. I am told it will cost thousands, I am devastated, has anyone else had this problem and what is the best way to solve it?

Many Thanks

Michael J S

Have you got a service history?

As Don said does it have a service history it might be a replacement under engine warranty job (but not 100% but your mileage might be a tad high) and define 'blown' technically. Has it used any oil regularly over it's life time? Presure/exhaust gases in a header tank says to me head gasket. My general view on most engines if there aint a hole in the block it's fixable.

Thanks for the replies, the car has a service history, but not all with Toyota, some with my local garages, which are reputable. I have booked into my local dealer tommorrow so they can inspect it. I am not able to define 'blown' until they have seen it.

From reading some of the topics and posts on here it seems there is a problem with this type of engine.

You need to make sure you have the stamps up to date Toyota or non Toyota. If they are non Toyota they have to be VAT registered.

Get them to check it as the topics say and push for a new engine under warranty if you have the above inline and it's an affected unit.

I have discussed your case with a Toyota agent. Your car is technically out of warranty and they may turn you down but if you write to customer services at Great Burgh and can demonstrat that the engine has been using coolant since BEFORE the 112000 cut of (maybe you have some reciepts from the last service or get the garage to validate they investigated it, the MAY unrewrite the warranty.

You have nothing to lose.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Just back from holiday and this is what has happened.

Local dealers technicians report;

Investigate losing water, found combustion debris and oil in expansion tank, lost coolant due to blowing out due to the failure of the head gasket, poss causes are warped cylinder head or/ and warped cylinder block. Would require stripping to confirm which is 10 hours labour at a cost of £1080inc vat, but could be looking at a cost of £5000 (min) to repair.

I have spoken to Toyota customer relations and they are not willing to help in any way with the cost.

Dealer says the car is worth £1-£2k in present condition and £5k when fixed.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

How long have you owned this vehicle and when did it first show the symptoms?

Hello Everyone,

Just back from holiday and this is what has happened.

Local dealers technicians report;

Investigate losing water, found combustion debris and oil in expansion tank, lost coolant due to blowing out due to the failure of the head gasket, poss causes are warped cylinder head or/ and warped cylinder block. Would require stripping to confirm which is 10 hours labour at a cost of £1080inc vat, but could be looking at a cost of £5000 (min) to repair.

I have spoken to Toyota customer relations and they are not willing to help in any way with the cost.

Dealer says the car is worth £1-£2k in present condition and £5k when fixed.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

I'd say your Dealer is a bit of an *****.

Dave

(sorry, donkey reference got edited out)

Hello again,

I bought the car second hand in July 2010 it had done 98000 miles.

I had topped up the water level a while back, but just thought that was normal, I was not aware of the mileage at the time. I will now go and speak to my garage who service it and see if their notes show a lack of coolant.

Thanks again for your replies.

Hello,

Just to update, I went back to the dealer on Saturday and they have bought the car off me and they are going to put it into the auction and I am going to get another Rav 4 from them, they were very helpful and have loaned me a car until mine is ready. Hopefully with their warranty I will not be in this position again.

Cheers.

Hello,

Just to update, I went back to the dealer on Saturday and they have bought the car off me and they are going to put it into the auction and I am going to get another Rav 4 from them, they were very helpful and have loaned me a car until mine is ready. Hopefully with their warranty I will not be in this position again.

Cheers.

What's the odds on a new post in next few weeks:

"Hi, I'm new here and have just bought a RAV4 at auction which seems to have a problem............."

A very good result for you, and when you get a new RAV, either go petrol, or a later, trouble free diesel. Did the garage give a fair price for your car, and what are they offering to you to buy. :driving:

I have tried so hard not to comment on this thread....

But am I the only one thinking of the poor Mug who will buy this car at auction ??

I applaud the garage for buying the car back.. I also say the OP of this thread has done the right thing selling it back as it would cost more to repair than its worth.. I would have done the same thing NO question !!

A great outcome indeed for the OP...For its next owner however .....?

I have been heavily criticised for slating the Rav4 Diesel.. Because I have been upsetting those that own them... Guilty as charged Mlud !!

But lets bear in mind that the next Owner of this car here will likely be investing a fair chunk of His or Her income on a car that will cost more to repair than its worth...... The car when sold at auction will carry no warranty at all so someone is going to get well and truly lumbered...

This will make You laugh though...

A few days ago I took a deposit on My car.. Buyer phoned this morning to inform Me that He will now not be buying. Why ?? Because He had read up on this forum...... Do I blame Him ?? NO ! In fact I will be returning the deposit....

Still a good buy these diesel Ravs.......

Of course any other 2006 car with 120k on it will be a guaranteed gem when bought at auction.

I thought you has said your piece and had no time to look in on this forum?

But if someone who has the tools and knowhow gets it for £500 its a bargain ? And caveat emptor for anyone who buys it from an auction thinking its perfect.

But if someone who has the tools and knowhow gets it for £500 its a bargain ? And caveat emptor for anyone who buys it from an auction thinking its perfect.

But will XT4 D4D 07 plate 2.2 Diesel go for 500 quid ?

​It will appear as a run of the mill 2007 car albeit with 116K miles.. The dealer will not reveal the fact that said car needs a new engine. That is why it will go to auction

Now of course most to most diesel cars 116.000 miles is nothing.. Just run in is a common term to diesel cars with 100K+ miles.

Someone is very likely going to pay for that car thinking it will be fine.

Of course all cars at auction must be treated with a certain amount of caution.. Often cars from main Dealers are treated as being just that bit to old for retail so a fair bet at auction...

Hello,

I was taken back a bit when they said they would put it in the auction, I thought they would get an engine from Toyota trade, fix it and put on the forecourt for a tidy profit. I know that an auction near me deals with cars that have major problems such as insurance write offs etc. If a mechanic who fixes up cars could use an engine from a written off car and put in mine,( bodywork and interior fine ) and make a decent car of the two?

I got £2500 off the trade of another Rav4 which has only done 37000 miles and has a years warranty and I can pay to extend it later on.

Cheers.

No Charlie, I was thinking the same thing when I read that it was going to auction. . . . although if you go to an auction with the idea that you are getting a car with no issues then perhaps you should get your bumps read. Mate of mine bought a really nice Rover 75 back in the day from auction only 25K mines on it and got it for 4 grand . . . Unfortunately 500 miles later the cambelt went big style on the motorway . . . complete replacement engine required.

No Charlie, I was thinking the same thing when I read that it was going to auction. . . . although if you go to an auction with the idea that you are getting a car with no issues then perhaps you should get your bumps read. Mate of mine bought a really nice Rover 75 back in the day from auction only 25K mines on it and got it for 4 grand . . . Unfortunately 500 miles later the cambelt went big style on the motorway . . . complete replacement engine required.

Tony. I said above that cars at auction should be treated with caution .

In this day and age auctions are rammed with cars that the dealers will not retail due to overstocking so cars then get sent to the auction....

While it is a safer environment to buy cars should still be treated with huge caution...

Difference between this car and the Rover is that this car is a dud before going where the Rover snapped a belt that could have gone at any time. Any car can develop a fault at ant time I just wonder how many of the Ravs will end up at auction because they are no longer financially viable so get rid with no comebacks.

Question is did the OP get a full refund or has sold the car back cheap ?

I got £2500 off the trade of another Rav4 which has only done 37000 miles and has a years warranty and I can pay to extend it later on.

Unquote.

How did it end up with your car ? I believe oil consumption tests were being done ?

Charlie what do you want?

Do you expect every owner of a 2.2 diesel to go and give it away as you have convinced them it has no trade in value?

What are your motives on this forum? You have started several threads that all focus on rubbishing these vehicles "only because you want to warn unsuspecting owners". Well we get it but there isn't much we can do except take advantage of the extended warranty or something else after that. Here we are where an owner has done something else and now we want to know what will happen to the vehicle when it gets sold on. It will either be fixed or traded again like thousands of other high mileage second hand cars bought at auction. Auctions do declare that they are sold as seen and owners do realise that if they are buying cheap with no guarantee they may have to fix it.

When you "gracefully bowed out" recently with the declaration that you had no time nor cared about this subject you closed by saying you did not put another poster up to making untruthful statements. What you didn't say was that you had actually registered as another member and that you are actually the second member;

IPaddress.jpg

Just to labour the point you also said your car had been fitted with a third engine but curiously TGB have no record of this being done so either it was a gift from your well informed dealer or it is still on the second engine.

This suggests very strongly that you are only here to Troll this forum which is not acceptable. You had the chance to dissappear gracefully but you are back doing the same thing. You either stop this or you will be locked out.

You can post on other subjects but as I have said before, if you or any of your pseudonyms appear to have a hidden agenda you will be locked out indefinetly.

Don is that the best you can do ???

You and I had two long telephone conversations in CONFIDENCE ??

Yet here you are at my throat again simply because I have made a point about the cars ?

But if confidences are to be betrayed ... How about that picture You PMd me of one of the other moderators of this forum .. The one where he was at the meeting ? How we laughed.. It was in response to him having a go at me on here.....

Would you like me to put up that picture ??

This is all because you will not accept that the cars are a risk... Plain and simple.. It really is a shame you have now taken this to a personal level.. Your choice...

But don't worry I wouldn't stoop to the level of betraying a confidence and mane your fellow moderator or put up that picture... That is just stooping far to low..

I honestly think you should question your validity as a moderator.. Your task or one of them is to remain honest and fair.........

Of course I now expect to get banned or for this comment to be removed..

FFS...................IF ANY OUTSIDER IS READING THIS DRIVEL BUT IS INTERESTED IN BUYING A DIESEL ENGINED

2.2 RAV, PLEASE BUY ONE WHICH WAS BUILT AFTER 2009 (WILL GET YOU EXACT MONTH OR HAVE THE ENGINE

NUMBER CHECKED FOR YOU). I SAY THIS AS THERE IS NO DOCUMENTED PROOF OR, MORE IMPORTANTLY,

ACTUAL INCIDENCE OF FAILURE OF THIS ENGINE.

I will shortly be selling mine (two potential buyers having fallen through, one perhaps who thought mine "would be a bit expensive and not bodily the best" he had been informed on this forum....I was not here at the time.....). Or I may delay until the new model comes out. One thing is for sure......ANY PROSPECTIVE BUYER WHO READS THE AMOUNT OF NEGATIVE BLOODY PISH THAT'S ON HERE WILL NOT BE BUYING MY CAR, ALBEIT ON MY MODEL THE COMMENTS THUS FAR ARE PURELY CONJECTURE RE. ENGINE FAILURE. NOW ONLY TODAY DO I FIND OUT NOT ONLY IS IT CONJECTURE, BUT MORE THAN LIKELY FABRICATED. CONSIDER MY GOB TOTALLY SMACKED.

BIG KEV....NO APOLOGIES FOR CAPITAL LETTERS, COZ I AM WELL HACKED OFF.