Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Definitive Guide

PaulinhoT

I was wondering if anyone thought about putting together a definitive guide to Toyota Corolla tuning. Things like engine swaps, brake conversion, suspension set ups etc ? I think it would be really handy..

It would be a great idea!

Maybe try and cross-reference with data from existing forums etc? Perhaps Admin can make a 'sticky' forum for us within this Corolla one? I'm not that techno-savvy myself to do it.

I have a 4A-GE tuning guide over on the local AE92 place of online forums conversations... which I need to continue. A Corolla specific guide would be a beastly task, definitely a year to get the information together, organise it and then post it in a format that makes sense.

So what were you thinking of exactly? I need to get into motoring journalism amongst other things, and I've done an extensive How To: on 4A-GE Piston Ring replacements so this sort of stuff isn't too far out of my reach.

Are you meaning a guide that specifies which engines will bolt in directly between corollas, what mods work best on each engine and what gearboxes we can swap into what engine etc??

Because that's something I wouldn't mind compiling. I'd need someones help to correct any mistakes and for the additional input though.

KP

Its called a haynes mannual :P

Not alot of people modify the corollas compared to other makes hense not alot of info on it as its all custom. As far as im aware im the only person to do a red led dash conversion on a E11. Which i had to figure out myself ;)

Which has nothing to do with tuning :P It's not just basic servicing that he's on about, it's more in depth Corolla specific information if I'm not much mistaken.

well as regards brakes, i was looking for a long time and found that trd made a kit for ae101 and ae111 levins,

alot of levin non superstrut stuff fits corollas

i got a set off a scraped levin, 300mm discs, red 4 pot calipers, and lines,

and to my surprise there the same as gt4 st205 calipers with a trd stamp,

i have both sets at home ill put up a pic for ye,

the 2 holes to bolt to hub are bored out bigger too, and i think i must tap the hubs in my corolla to take them.

theyll fit inside 16 in wheel,

my friend got 4 pot wilwoods from us and need 17in wheels, think there 330mm discs and the 4 pot calipers,

also i have seen d2 and k-sport do a kit for corolla/levins

engine wise we both went for st205 3sgte engines, and we have just completed his one,

it wasnt that bad, just takes a few days, his was a ae101 gxi.

mine is a ae111,

we reckon the ae111 is easier,

suspension wise, bc coilovers should do the job seem to be a good shock.

didnt get them yet do,

i got dc2 recaros from an integra,

there red and black and should match up to the g6 type interior,

i got rails from the recaros on a levin,

recaros came as an extra in some levins,

the rails should bolt up nicely

Which has nothing to do with tuning :P It's not just basic servicing that he's on about, it's more in depth Corolla specific information if I'm not much mistaken.

Tunings part of modifying which it all falls under.

Re engine tuning, other than the 4age engines or swoping for a 4efte engine then theres not much gains to be had from "tuning" them. Even the 4age engine you have to spend £££ to get remotely small gains out of them. Hense most people pulling the lumps out of corollas and dropping a 3sgte into them :)

Waiting for my engine to go bang, its fastly aproaching 160k and is getting alittle thirsty on oil so im hoping it goes bang in a loud and epic way :lol: knowing my luck itll go on forever :rolleyes:

well as regards brakes, i was looking for a long time and found that trd made a kit for ae101 and ae111 levins,

the 2 holes to bolt to hub are bored out bigger too, and i think i must tap the hubs in my corolla to take them.

my friend got 4 pot wilwoods from us and need 17in wheels, think there 330mm discs and the 4 pot calipers,

engine wise we both went for st205 3sgte engines, and we have just completed his one,

mine is a ae111,

didnt get them yet do,

Get some pics up, sounds fantastic :thumbsup:

Ive got a set of ST205 calipers for my SR, are you using redrilled/ground down celica discs or have you come across something in 4x100 fitment?

Ive looked for ages and cant find anything that would match....

Also with the fronts now being a 4pot does the master cylinder need to be swopped out for a celica one? Is the brake bias still ok front to rear under heavy braking?

Theres not alot of info out there for these cars so i was going to just fit them and go from there but if you have any info you could share that would be great :thumbsup:

Re engine tuning, other than the 4age engines or swoping for a 4efte engine then theres not much gains to be had from "tuning" them. Even the 4age engine you have to spend £££ to get remotely small gains out of them. Hense most people pulling the lumps out of corollas and dropping a 3sgte into them :)

Waiting for my engine to go bang, its fastly aproaching 160k and is getting alittle thirsty on oil so im hoping it goes bang in a loud and epic way :lol: knowing my luck itll go on forever :rolleyes:

Not totally true about 4A-GE's - people just need to choose wisely. And that's why it'll cover all conversions such as the 3S-GTE. I've decided to start piecing it together anyway :P

Not totally true about 4A-GE's - people just need to choose wisely. And that's why it'll cover all conversions such as the 3S-GTE. I've decided to start piecing it together anyway :P

I look forward to seeing it :thumbsup:

If you need anything for it to cover ae111s let me know ;)

I need to know everything there is to know about these cars, so PM me with whatever you know! :P

KP

is it a DYI thread you are looking for ? like how to mod your corolla e11? cus then i have some things i could contribute with...

like how to make a flatbody engine tray, home made struts and crossbars, Real cold air intakes, i also have some insight in the 3zz engine and how to do some "cheap" mods on it, how to make a custom exhaust whit a sportscat

and probably som more stuff that i cant remember at 1.00AM :P

is it a DYI thread you are looking for ? like how to mod your corolla e11? cus then i have some things i could contribute with...

like how to make a flatbody engine tray, home made struts and crossbars, Real cold air intakes, i also have some insight in the 3zz engine and how to do some "cheap" mods on it, how to make a custom exhaust whit a sportscat

and probably som more stuff that i cant remember at 1.00AM :P

That sounds good to me!

Everything I have read above is great, and yes I think it would just be handy for Corolla owners to know what engine conversion can be done, what's actually involved i.e. mounts, gearboxes, drive shafts, wireing looms etc.

If this could be carried out for the whole of the Corolla model range, well that would be great.

I wan't to fit bigger brakes to my E11, and it would be nice to know what would fit inside my 16" wheels, as well as what would fit in 17" and 18" rims, also whats a good offset on the wheels etc. Also things like would bigger brakes make the brake servo weak would be good to know.

Also it would be really good to know what can be swapped between "other" Toyota models, knowing it would fit which ever Corolla model people own. I know it's a lot of work, but I wasn't thinking to read it next week lol.

I just thought that there are SO many talented people on this group we could all put something together. Then a mod could take all of the bits needed and make it into one massive post, and sticky it.

This would also help when anybody asked what #### can they fit to there Corolla, as we can just link them to it :-)

Sounds good to me!

EXS - I'm gonna PM you soon about this stuff so we can get this thing properly put together.

So far I've done 2k words on AE82 General info, 2k on AE92 General info, a spreadsheet on basic AE92 Specs, 2k on modifying AE82's and about 1k on basic engine and chassis tuning principles to make sure peeps know what the guide is on about and they can make their own modding decisions.

KP

heres the brake kit for 17in wheels,

gt4stuff3.jpg

comparing to st205

gt4stuff7.jpg

st205 engine

DSC01572.jpg

all rebuilt here

samsunggalaxys2firstpics470.jpg

dirty engine bay

samsunggalaxys2firstpics441.jpg

all cleaned up here

samsunggalaxys2firstpics443.jpg

mine is a ae111,

didnt get them yet do,

Get some pics up, sounds fantastic :thumbsup:

Ive got a set of ST205 calipers for my SR, are you using redrilled/ground down celica discs or have you come across something in 4x100 fitment?

Ive looked for ages and cant find anything that would match....

Also with the fronts now being a 4pot does the master cylinder need to be swopped out for a celica one? Is the brake bias still ok front to rear under heavy braking?

Theres not alot of info out there for these cars so i was going to just fit them and go from there but if you have any info you could share that would be great :thumbsup:

well i got a trd kit so its proper discs 4x100,

ill get a few pics of them for ya,

heres another kit for sale

see his discs, i should send off my discs to hi-spec or someone and get a few sets made up to suit st205 calipers

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carparts/3764594

Looks like AE82, AE92, AE100 suspension is the same at the front and the back! :D

I'll definitely be looking into the ST205 brakes though, and they'll be going into the manual.

KP

Sounds good to me!

EXS - I'm gonna PM you soon about this stuff so we can get this thing properly put together.

So far I've done 2k words on AE82 General info, 2k on AE92 General info, a spreadsheet on basic AE92 Specs, 2k on modifying AE82's and about 1k on basic engine and chassis tuning principles to make sure peeps know what the guide is on about and they can make their own modding decisions.

KP

I think your a legend in the making!

Also any brake upgrades for 15 inch wheels :/

Now up to 3k words on the tuning principles section - I've covered shocks, springs, ARB's and bushes in their basic jobs and why we upgrade them. I'll go into car specific detail in each models section.

I am a little worried about doing a write up on the 2E engine as I have no clue about anything to do with them, let alone how to modify them!

KP