Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Factory Side Bars!

sniper9652

Hi all, I've decided to take the factory fitted (OEM) side bars off my 54 plate XT4, they are in v good condition and will soon be up for sale!...the reason, well to be honest they are pretty useless and are really just for show and looks! I also want to see the nice clean lines of the 4.2 shape!

There is an inner side mounted rail that the 3 brackets of the steps bolt onto...this rail is held onto the body with 3x 13mm bolts, question is: does this rail belong to the car for steps, bars..etc to be bolted onto (via brackets) or would this rail have come with side bars when purchased/factory fitted?

TIA, Steve

post-115478-0-04162900-1344725033_thumb.

Hi all, I've decided to take the factory fitted (OEM) side bars off my 54 plate XT4, they are in v good condition and will soon be up for sale!...the reason, well to be honest they are pretty useless and are really just for show and looks! I also want to see the nice clean lines of the 4.2 shape!

There is an inner side mounted rail that the 3 brackets of the steps bolt onto...this rail is held onto the body with 3x 13mm bolts, question is: does this rail belong to the car for steps, bars..etc to be bolted onto (via brackets) or would this rail have come with side bars when purchased/factory fitted?

TIA, Steve

The steps border on the useless without the mounting rail, Steve, so for a successful sale you MUST remove them too.I would think twice though about their removal....the Rav somehow looks "baldy" without them, and they genuinely do act as a dirt deterrent for sides of yer car....note how much more crud gets thrown on to sides without them. That's my 5.4 old pennies' worth anyway.

Prepare also for a wee shock as to how rusty the brackets and mounting rail are too.....prospective buyer will need to do much dremellising and Kurusting/Hammeriting to prepare for fitting. I have been that soldier....

Big Kev

TIA, Steve

The steps border on the useless without the mounting rail, Steve, so for a successful sale you MUST remove them too.I would think twice though about their removal....the Rav somehow looks "baldy" without them, and they genuinely do act as a dirt deterrent for sides of yer car....note how much more crud gets thrown on to sides without them. That's my 5.4 old pennies' worth anyway.

Prepare also for a wee shock as to how rusty the brackets and mounting rail are too.....prospective buyer will need to do much dremellising and Kurusting/Hammeriting to prepare for fitting. I have been that soldier....

Big Kev

Thanks Big Kev for your info, when my car was last in for an MOT at my local (independent) garage I asked if I could look under the car and to be honest the brackets and bolt heads look in an OK condition? He (the mechanic who is also a mate) asked if I was thinking of taking them off? If I was he said it was a good idea as they are pretty useless on a SUV and advised never to put my full weight and stand on them! He also pointed across to to a set of modern hydraulic ramps and said that if I did he would be able to do work on my car on them in the future as these steps had stopped him using that ramp when he changed my blown turbo over a month or two back!

Anyway Kev, I know now to take the rail off when I get around to doing the job, my mate actually said that I could use his 'MOT ramps' after work hours to take them off so I may take him up on that!

Steve

Yer mate's ramps will be handy, Steve, and save you the crawly about pain. Standing on them is never an option, especially if you weigh anything like me or Kingo, but I stand by my original and well tested theory.....they make brill full length mudflaps...!!!

More so on the 4.3 variant, I feel it looks somewhat unfinished and blank withoot them....again just my opinion, but your mate probably right re. the use of ramps in their absence.

Big Kev...edit....just remembered there are some spacers / washers used between certain bolt HOLES and the hanger rail....look out for them too. WOULD ALSO BE DEAD HANDY FOR PROSPECTIVE BUYER IF YOU REASSEMBLE RELEVANT HANGER TO SIDESTEP IN THE CORRECT ORIENTATIONMENT.

Yer mate's ramps will be handy, Steve, and save you the crawly about pain. Standing on them is never an option, especially if you weigh anything like me or Kingo, but I stand by my original and well tested theory.....they make brill full length mudflaps...!!!

More so on the 4.3 variant, I feel it looks somewhat unfinished and blank withoot them....again just my opinion, but your mate probably right re. the use of ramps in their absence.

Big Kev...edit....just remembered there are some spacers / washers used between certain bolt HOLES and the hanger rail....look out for them too. WOULD ALSO BE DEAD HANDY FOR PROSPECTIVE BUYER IF YOU REASSEMBLE RELEVANT HANGER TO SIDESTEP IN THE CORRECT ORIENTATIONMENT.

Great Info that Kev, cheers! Oh and if it makes you feel any better I am probably out-weighing you and kingo... I am touching on 22 stone but I am 6'5" tall so it's sort of spread out! :D

Steve

I been after a set of these for my 4.2 if you decide to get rid of them let me know what you're after for them and i will see if i can justify such an important purchase to the mrs :)

I went the other way and bought Mr T's side steps, fitted them myself, and as Kev says, the car is cleaner with them. The kit came with various spacers, that are used to suit the car in question, and stick on pads to use as required. If yours was fitted from new, then a future buyer should get the full instructions off the Toyota accessories website, with the guide to fitting. As an aside, my car lives in Spain, and as they side steps are not on the vehicle docs, then they have to come off for the Spanish MOT!

TIA, Steve

Big Kev

Thanks Big Kev for your info, when my car was last in for an MOT at my local (independent) garage I asked if I could look under the car and to be honest the brackets and bolt heads look in an OK condition? He (the mechanic who is also a mate) asked if I was thinking of taking them off? If I was he said it was a good idea as they are pretty useless on a SUV and advised never to put my full weight and stand on them! He also pointed across to to a set of modern hydraulic ramps and said that if I did he would be able to do work on my car on them in the future as these steps had stopped him using that ramp when he changed my blown turbo over a month or two back!

Anyway Kev, I know now to take the rail off when I get around to doing the job, my mate actually said that I could use his 'MOT ramps' after work hours to take them off so I may take him up on that!

Steve

I agree with Kev. I've got them fitted to both our RAVs simply to keep the lower sides of the doors & the underside clean. Our cars spend a fair bit of time around stables/livery yards and it was quite amazing how much crap got chucked ontop the car - an awful lot of it doesn't wash off easily at all! The steps have been brilliant.

Re you mechanics comment about their strength, I would strongly disagree. I stand on them regularly to wash or wax the roof with no probs & I weigh nearly 15 stone.

I also think the car looks 100% better with them on.

TIA, Steve

Big Kev

Steve

I agree with Kev. I've got them fitted to both our RAVs simply to keep the lower sides of the doors & the underside clean. Our cars spend a fair bit of time around stables/livery yards and it was quite amazing how much crap got chucked onto the car & it tends to stick - an awful lot of it doesn't wash off easily at all! The steps have been brilliant in that respect.

Re you mechanic's comment about their strength, I would strongly disagree. I stand on them regularly to wash or wax the roof with no probs & I weigh nearly 15 stone.

I also think the car looks 100% better with them on.

Question of personal preference, but IMO, the RAV4 looks waaayyyy nicer WITH the bars.

I also think they look naked without the front nudge bar and the roof rails - without these bits, the RAV4 looks too much like a boring MPV.

. Standing on them is never an option, especially if you weigh anything like me or Kingo,

Oi, I resemble that remark! :D:

Slightly lighter Kingo @ 95KG

at 105kg, I'm happy to report the steps easily take my weight when I'm cleaning the roof or putting my bike up on the rails, your choice in the end of course but I like mine as it is

TIA, Steve

Hi all, well it's been 2 days since I removed the steps and god do I miss them! A lot of you said that the car will look bald, mpv..ish....etc and you were so right! I have decided to put them back on after my camping hols in a couple of weeks!

I do need x6 new 13mm bolts and washers as when removing them some where so tight (close to being seized thank Jesus for WD40!) and awkward to get at (the rear left and right) that I rounded the bolt heads off using the only accessible tool which was a ring spanner! There was hardly any corrosion on the step brackets and rail but the bolts and washers need replacing! Does anyone know where I can get the correct bolts or are they pretty standard? They are about 2" long!

TIA, Steve

TIA, Steve

Hi all, well it's been 2 days since I removed the steps and god do I miss them! A lot of you said that the car will look bald, mpv..ish....etc and you were so right! I have decided to put them back on after my camping hols in a couple of weeks!

I do need x6 new 13mm bolts and washers as when removing them some where so tight (close to being seized thank Jesus for WD40!) and awkward to get at (the rear left and right) that I rounded the bolt heads off using the only accessible tool which was a ring spanner! There was hardly any corrosion on the step brackets and rail but the bolts and washers need replacing! Does anyone know where I can get the correct bolts or are they pretty standard? They are about 2" long!

TIA, Steve

Steve,

The bolts should be absolutely nowhere near 2" long mate.....some eejit fitted your steps with bolts incorrecto. The bolts on wife's 3 door were only aboot 30mm long at the most, as they only need to go through about 4mm of the steel stringers.

These are readily available separately on eBay, and you can even opt for stainless steel if you have no grease to lube the threads of normal wans....!!!!

Had a feeling you would be full of regretful bits after you removed them.....lol.

Big Kev

Hi all, I've decided to take the factory fitted (OEM) side bars off my 54 plate XT4, they are in v good condition and will soon be up for sale!...the reason, well to be honest they are pretty useless and are really just for show and looks! I also want to see the nice clean lines of the 4.2 shape! There is an inner side mounted rail that the 3 brackets of the steps bolt onto...this rail is held onto the body with 3x 13mm bolts, question is: does this rail belong to the car for steps, bars..etc to be bolted onto (via brackets) or would this rail have come with side bars when purchased/factory fitted? TIA, Steve
Hi all, well it's been 2 days since I removed the steps and god do I miss them! A lot of you said that the car will look bald, mpv..ish....etc and you were so right! I have decided to put them back on after my camping hols in a couple of weeks! I do need x6 new 13mm bolts and washers as when removing them some where so tight (close to being seized thank Jesus for WD40!) and awkward to get at (the rear left and right) that I rounded the bolt heads off using the only accessible tool which was a ring spanner! There was hardly any corrosion on the step brackets and rail but the bolts and washers need replacing! Does anyone know where I can get the correct bolts or are they pretty standard? They are about 2" long! TIA, Steve
Steve, The bolts should be absolutely nowhere near 2" long mate.....some eejit fitted your steps with bolts incorrecto. The bolts on wife's 3 door were only aboot 30mm long at the most, as they only need to go through about 4mm of the steel stringers. These are readily available separately on eBay, and you can even opt for stainless steel if you have no grease to lube the threads of normal wans....!!!! Had a feeling you would be full of regretful bits after you removed them.....lol. Big Kev

Thanx for that Kev...I've ordered some stainless 30mm long ones off eBay! Can't wait to get my Rav 'dressed' again!

Steve

13mm bolts are one of the most common sizes, so you shouldn't have to much trouble finding them at any hardware store.