Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"e" And Handbrake While Engine Running

aygommt2012

I left my new 2012 Aygo MMT with engine running in "E" and handbrake on for about 5-10 minutes. Not touching brake pedal or accelerator. Can this have caused any damage to the clutch/system?

I left my new 2012 Aygo MMT with engine running in "E" and handbrake on for about 5-10 minutes. Not touching brake pedal or accelerator. Can this have caused any damage to the clutch/system?

In theory this should not have caused any damage with the engine at idleing speed but is not something that should be done too often

The MMT clutch system is quite forgiving and should give you an audible warning if it is overheating.

Try to be more loving to your Aygo ;)

I think the MMT clutch is disengaged when idling with the foot or hand brake on.

It engages in 'creep' mode when the brake is released at idle, and engages with attitude when the throttle is pressed - brake on or not.

But you certainly shouldn't leave it (or any automatic) in gear while unattended with the engine running. Most have an alarm which may even be required by regulation - on my Aygo MMT there is a beeper that sounds if you open the driver door with the engine running and not in neutral.

"I think the MMT clutch is disengaged when idling with the foot or hand brake on."

I would assume the Yaris MMT system is similar? I seem to recall, in the relevant section of the driver's handbook, it did state that applying the handbrake in "E" (or "M") has the same effect as pushing the footbrake. i.e. the clutch is fully DISengaged.

When purchasing the car I was told that the footbrake (no mention of the handbrake) had to be applied to keep the clutch disengaged. After reading the handbook, and the bit regarding the handbrake, I queried this but no-one at the dealership could give a definitive answer. They even hinted the handbook was incorrect (doubt it!) Even contacting Toyota I was just advised to contact the supplying dealer for the answer!?

Yes, our Yaris MMT is the same.

When you think about it, it is the logical thing, otherwise the clutch would be perpetually dragging while stopped. And it needs to engage with throttle over brake so you can do a hill start.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links