Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Mpg

Gav rav

It seems as though everyone is relying on the computer readings from the car for the MPG figures.

The only reliable way is to do a proper MPG check at every fillup, i.e. miles into gallons etc.

I was recently informed by a guy from Toyota UK that the fuel tank on a hybrid should never be full as it inhibits the return of energy to the Battery.

Not quite sure what he was intimating,anyone know anything about this?

Have had my Prius for six weeks only and first tankful returned about 52/53 mpg of mostly urban driving, anything over 50 mpg will be welcome.There is more to a Hybrid than just mpg so enjoy all it offers.

It seems as though everyone is relying on the computer readings from the car for the MPG figures.

The only reliable way is to do a proper MPG check at every fillup, i.e. miles into gallons etc.

I was recently informed by a guy from Toyota UK that the fuel tank on a hybrid should never be full as it inhibits the return of energy to the Battery.

Not quite sure what he was intimating,anyone know anything about this?

Have had my Prius for six weeks only and first tankful returned about 52/53 mpg of mostly urban driving, anything over 50 mpg will be welcome.There is more to a Hybrid than just mpg so enjoy all it offers.

The Fuelly figures that are visible are not based upon computer readings. They result from entering figures for actual mileage and actual fuel bought.

The Fuelly figures that are visible are not based upon computer readings. They result from entering figures for actual mileage and actual fuel bought.

I'm with Sagitar here - if you want to know the REAL consumption, log your fuel in Fuelly. I find that the computer is optimistic to the tune of at least 10%. I set "Trip B" every time I fill up - and I have never had it give an mpg that is close to the Fuelly calculated figure.

I covered about 70,000 miles in my first Prius (Gen III). Over the first 20,000 miles, I got nearly 55mpg. I then had a spell of not logging my consumption (and was conscious that something had really hit my mpg hard - could have been new tyres). Over the last 40,000 miles I only managed to squeeze 49mpg (disappointing).

I've had a new Prius since September, and have managed 53.6mpg over 2,000 miles - though the computer is regularly telling me I'm achieving up to 61mpg.

I'm with Sagitar here - if you want to know the REAL consumption, log your fuel in Fuelly. I find that the computer is optimistic to the tune of at least 10%. I set "Trip B" every time I fill up - and I have never had it give an mpg that is close to the Fuelly calculated figure. ...

I'm with Sagitar and you Dave, but in my Gen II, the discrepancy is in the order of 2-3 mpg. And i think a lot of the discrepancy is due to the difficulty in brimming the tank to the same point consistently.

I'm with Sagitar here - if you want to know the REAL consumption, log your fuel in Fuelly. I find that the computer is optimistic to the tune of at least 10%. I set "Trip B" every time I fill up - and I have never had it give an mpg that is close to the Fuelly calculated figure. ...

I'm with Sagitar and you Dave, but in my Gen II, the discrepancy is in the order of 2-3 mpg. And i think a lot of the discrepancy is due to the difficulty in brimming the tank to the same point consistently.

At each fill-up I record the indicated mpg as well as the actual calculated figure. Over 22 months the average error works out at 5.1% (which is in the same sort of parish as 2-3mpg).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links