Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil Question

PS123

Hi all

Apologies if this has already been discussed before but I made the classic schoolboy error of not checking my 2007 Auris 2.0 D-4D engine oil level for a good few months. When driving yesterday night, the oil level low warning light flashed for a brief few seconds so today I checked to find that the level showing on the dipstick was way below the minimum.

I rang up the garage where I bought the car from just to enquire what brand of oil they would have used so that I could top it up myself but I sensed the chap didn't want to be helpful in the hope that I would turn up to their garage and pay for them to 'fix' it.

As I can only assume that the garage has used Toyota's own branded engine oil and I know that it has to be 0W-30 or 5W-30, I bought a 1 litre container of Castrol EDGE 0W-30 (ACEA C2 rating) and poured all of it in. The level on the dipstick is about a 1/4 above minimum now.

What I am more concerned about is whether the mixing of oil brands and potentially viscosities could cause an issue and also if the engine will have suffered some damage due to the low oil level when driving previously.

Grateful for the advice as always.

Thanks.

There is a possiblity of damaging the engine due to starving it but the real give away sign would be a loud knocking noise, yes diesels knock anyway but like a big end bearings noise you can tell the difference much louder like somebodys dropped a spanner in the engine, worst case the engine could have seized. Not good for your turbo either as it relies on oil pressure.

By the sounds of it luckily you have got away it? Though because you let it go so low. It may use abit of oil for the next few miles just to get into the engine internals before you see a rise on the dipstick. Cant see it using all of the oil you would have at least a litre + in the engine before the warning light got triggered because it takes 6litres as standard.

As it uses approx 6 litres of oil from empty I would top it up as a temp measure, and change the oil filter before putting in so much fresh oil as you will only contaminate fresh oil because of old oil an old filter and its better for your pocket ;) + it will be an oil change to log in your service history.

I have mixed oil in the past with 5-30 simply for top ups and never had a problem, if anything you may notice a drop in fuel consumption becuase thinner oil gives better economy though you wouldnt notice the difference in usual driving conditons. More noticable during cold starts/ hard driving high temp etc...

Hi,

I use 5W-30 on my 2.0 D-4D, specifically: http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/esp-formula-5w-30.aspx

I'd advice you to top-up the car engine oil with 5W-30, mixing semi-synthetic with fully synthetic will not harm your engine in any way, shape or form.

Once you have your replacement oil (all 6.3 litres of it), you should do a complete engine flush, with Forte Advanced Motor Flush, which can be found on eBay item number: 300746863887 - as they are normally only supplied to garages and get your Oil Filter changed.

For your information, or anyone else that is interested, Eurocarparts are doing an offer online... 25% off orders under a £100 with code: WINNER25 and 30% off orders over a £100 with code: WINNER30

Offer ends today midnight, so be quick!

I hope this helps :)

Thanks all for your replies.

Will do a full oil change now.

When you consider how long an engine is designed to last, and the workload it has to cope with, a mix of oil grades isn't going to do it any long term damage if used over a short period of time.

A little bit of the wrong oil is better than a shortage of any oil.

Although the dealers may stock Toyota oils (in cans) most if not all will purchase oils in the bulk of their choice for use in the workshop that meets the requied specs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links