Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Engine Loosing Power

fatherofthree

The problem seems similar to BooUns. After about 10minutes driving. If I drive uphill and then have to slow down, when I drop a gear I lose revs and the engine doesn't pull the car, after about 5 seconds the car then revs and speeds off blowing out black smoke or starts chugging. My mechanic has had the exhaust off and cleaned it and cleaned the cat. There is no problem on the motorway and pulls no problem, as soon as I come off the motorway and approach a roundabout and drop gear the problem starts again. Desperate for helpas heading for France soon.

Try cleaning egr valve as that would be the easy fix possibly?? Then try fuel filter, they cost under like a tenner and are so easy to change yourself!!! You could also try some fuel system cleaner like redex, and give the car a good hard drive to get the remaining bad stuff out,

There are videos on how to do all this stuff on YouTube, hope it helps

Phil

The problem seems similar to BooUns. After about 10minutes driving. If I drive uphill and then have to slow down, when I drop a gear I lose revs and the engine doesn't pull the car, after about 5 seconds the car then revs and speeds off blowing out black smoke or starts chugging. My mechanic has had the exhaust off and cleaned it and cleaned the cat. There is no problem on the motorway and pulls no problem, as soon as I come off the motorway and approach a roundabout and drop gear the problem starts again. Desperate for helpas heading for France soon.

= = = = = =

"when I drop a gear I lose revs and the engine doesn't pull the car" ---> you have an effect of exhaust contra pressure breaking engine --> undo EGR upper cover and clean it enabling gases passing thru holes smoothly;

also - check with smooth rotation of variable turbo vanes on their axis pins.

regards / Igor

• 1 month later...

Cleaning the EGR valve did the tick.

Many thanks to those who replied.

Put a tin of BG244 in the fuel every 10k to maintain the system...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links