Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Switch Fault ?

TOYOTAJOHN

Hi folks looking for info on a starting problem with my old avensis ,a few weeks ago i was having trouble starting car ,all the dash lights ok but but starter completely dead ,had new starter fitted and leads checked then ok for a couple of weeks, now having same problem again and have been told it might be the ignition switch which could be costly as i will need new switch,keys etc plus labour. ps car does start after about five turns of the key.any ideas ,comments etc very welcome thanks in advance.

Bad earth connection? I've had a similar issue in the past where the earth strap had corroded and the started wouldn't turn (and I replaced the starter too ....) Or possibly immobiliser issue?

It will be switch, it is a known fault. You don't have to change it all, only switch at bottom. Search on here you will find lots about it. New switch about £60 takes 20 minutes to change.

Thanks for the helpful replys ,will check earth strap next weekend and if this does not fix it i will have see about ordering a new switch

• 2 weeks later...

the switch is known for this, due to a bit of plastic wearing. I bought one new on eBay for about 30 quid and a mechanic replaced it in a few minutes

Had the problem myself. It is the ignition switch at the end of the barrel. It took me about 25 minutes from first screw to install the new switch and finish the job.

It is a known Toyota issue and looking at other causes is wasting time.

A member has installed a starter button, saving wear on the switch (I think he did not bother changing the switch).

Thanks to you all for the info, starter seems to be working ok at the moment but soon as it starts to play up again i will get a new switch .

Thanks to you all for the info, starter seems to be working ok at the moment but soon as it starts to play up again i will get a new switch .

I put a 'starter button' on mine.

It may be ok at the moment, but if i were u , i'd do something now before the cold weather sets in and it leaves u stranded. be prepared is the motto :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links