Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Change

Dave Evans

hi again all having tackeld the oil change and cabin filter change with help from this great forum i would now like a go at doing the coolant can anybody please tell me how to go about this how much new coolant i need to renew and whats the best way to dispose of the old coolant the car is 1.8 petrol t2 also can i use any brand of anti freeze or are some better than others thanks in advance for all advice

Depending on car's age it might not be due a coolant change. The owners manual for my 55 plate 1.8 vvti says Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is used at factory fill (blah blah). The service schedule says engine coolant: long life - first at 40k/4 years then every 20k/2 years thereafter, or super long life - 10 years or 100k miles. If the car's under 10 years old and the coolant is a clean colourful liquid then I'd leave it alone.

I've not personally changed anti freeze on an Avensis but since you've had no replies here's the general practice...

Don't do the job with a hot engine due to scald risk. Set heater controls to max hot so that old coolant isn't trapped in heater circuit. Remove some of the top plastic trims to access the radiator cap (note I don't mean the expansion tank cap), and probably some of the underbelly plastic to drain it. There might also be a bleed point/nipple near the thermostat. The engine cover will need to come off to verify. Follow the big hose from the RHS of radiator (as you look under bonnet) to it's big junction at the engine, before the heater hoses.

Some cars have a drain tap on the bottom of the radiator but if yours hasn't then remove a bottom hose and let it flow, catching what you can. Leave the radiator cap on but remove the expansion tank cap. Hopefully the syphon theory empties your expansion tank. Once empty remove the radiator cap. As far as I know it's fine to put old coolant down a drain. Replace the hose and, if necessary, put a new jubilee clip on.

The stronger you make anti freeze the lower temperature it can handle. 50/50 anti freeze/water is more than enough for the UK, so don't be too exacting with it. The handbook says capacity 5.8 litres so I'd buy 3 litres of anti freeze, and I wouldn't worry if it took a little extra water to do the final top up, or if I had a little left over. I usually mix it before I put it in. If you don't have a mixing vessel then pour half a litre of water in first, then pour your first litre of anti freeze in, then put another half litre of water in. Then use your empty container to mix the balance around 50/50 before adding.

Add coolant to radiator until full. Also add to expansion tank midway between min and max marks (it's easier to add more later than to remove extra). Squeeze all hoses to aid air expulsion. Now follow the hoses looking for nipples and loosen these until coolant flows out and re-tighten. Start at the bottom if there are a few. Often there's only one - near/on the heater hoses. Sometimes there are none. Top up radiator multiple times as necessary. Leave radiator cap off and start engine. If you've not found bleed points this will probably take more top-ups. Bear in mind you'll know how much you've put in in relation to what it should take. Squeeze hoses again and top-up while engine idling. Once fairly confident it's not taking more top-ups put radiator cap on and check heater temp. If it's colder than usual there's air in the system. Rev engine a bit, continuously checking level. If it "sooks" coolant from expansion tank refill to mid way between the marks. If it hasn't taken any from expansion tank carefully remove radiator cap (mind it'll be hot now - use a cloth and undo slowly) and top-up as necessary. Repeat all these steps until you're certain it's not taking any more coolant and the heater is working hot. Fill expansion tank to max mark and replace cap. You're supposed to now let the cooling fan come on and off twice to ensure the thermostat is opening and the engine is at normal working temp.

Check level again tomorrow, and in a few days, and next week, until you're happy it's not using any. Bear in mind the level will vary a bit depending on whether engine hot or cold.

• Like 2

I suggest that you use the official Toyota additive (pink colour iirc).

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info alan333 :) , I shall check the colour of mine, I may not need to change it as of yet! also if it helps my dad was a clanky for toyota for many years, he told me to only use genuine Toyota long life coolant as it also lubricates the system

• 5 years later...

So pinch hoses when car cold, start car and keep pinching with radiator cap off.

Heater on full.

So you don't need a no spill funnel?

I did it, but the coolant does not boil with both caps off as shown on YouTube. I guess the vvt engine must run at a lower temperature than other engines, also changing gears seem tighter?

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2012 at 12:45 PM, alan333 said:

Depending on car's age it might not be due a coolant change. The owners manual for my 55 plate 1.8 vvti says Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is used at factory fill (blah blah). The service schedule says engine coolant: long life - first at 40k/4 years then every 20k/2 years thereafter, or super long life - 10 years or 100k miles. If the car's under 10 years old and the coolant is a clean colourful liquid then I'd leave it alone.

I've not personally changed anti freeze on an Avensis but since you've had no replies here's the general practice...

Don't do the job with a hot engine due to scald risk. Set heater controls to max hot so that old coolant isn't trapped in heater circuit. Remove some of the top plastic trims to access the radiator cap (note I don't mean the expansion tank cap), and probably some of the underbelly plastic to drain it. There might also be a bleed point/nipple near the thermostat. The engine cover will need to come off to verify. Follow the big hose from the RHS of radiator (as you look under bonnet) to it's big junction at the engine, before the heater hoses.

Some cars have a drain tap on the bottom of the radiator but if yours hasn't then remove a bottom hose and let it flow, catching what you can. Leave the radiator cap on but remove the expansion tank cap. Hopefully the syphon theory empties your expansion tank. Once empty remove the radiator cap. As far as I know it's fine to put old coolant down a drain. Replace the hose and, if necessary, put a new jubilee clip on.

The stronger you make anti freeze the lower temperature it can handle. 50/50 anti freeze/water is more than enough for the UK, so don't be too exacting with it. The handbook says capacity 5.8 litres so I'd buy 3 litres of anti freeze, and I wouldn't worry if it took a little extra water to do the final top up, or if I had a little left over. I usually mix it before I put it in. If you don't have a mixing vessel then pour half a litre of water in first, then pour your first litre of anti freeze in, then put another half litre of water in. Then use your empty container to mix the balance around 50/50 before adding.

Add coolant to radiator until full. Also add to expansion tank midway between min and max marks (it's easier to add more later than to remove extra). Squeeze all hoses to aid air expulsion. Now follow the hoses looking for nipples and loosen these until coolant flows out and re-tighten. Start at the bottom if there are a few. Often there's only one - near/on the heater hoses. Sometimes there are none. Top up radiator multiple times as necessary. Leave radiator cap off and start engine. If you've not found bleed points this will probably take more top-ups. Bear in mind you'll know how much you've put in in relation to what it should take. Squeeze hoses again and top-up while engine idling. Once fairly confident it's not taking more top-ups put radiator cap on and check heater temp. If it's colder than usual there's air in the system. Rev engine a bit, continuously checking level. If it "sooks" coolant from expansion tank refill to mid way between the marks. If it hasn't taken any from expansion tank carefully remove radiator cap (mind it'll be hot now - use a cloth and undo slowly) and top-up as necessary. Repeat all these steps until you're certain it's not taking any more coolant and the heater is working hot. Fill expansion tank to max mark and replace cap. You're supposed to now let the cooling fan come on and off twice to ensure the thermostat is opening and the engine is at normal working temp.

Check level again tomorrow, and in a few days, and next week, until you're happy it's not using any. Bear in mind the level will vary a bit depending on whether engine hot or cold.

Hi Alan 333,

Do you you where is the engine drain coolant plug of the Toyota Avensis D4D T27 2012 ??? I want to do this job, but want to do a full flush and then clean the system with destiled watter. But need to drain all the fluid. And does Toyota sells the the concentrated Coolant so you can mix your self? Thanks

• 2 years later...

hello i have a 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d with 40k on the clock with the year and im not sure about the miles should i change coolant in the car.plus dose anyone know what coolant i should use if would advice changing it 

Coolant change should be 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Coolant will be Toyota Super Long Life (pink).

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Coolant change should be 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Coolant will be Toyota Super Long Life (pink).

thanks ever so much thats great news so i dont need to change it for a long time.