Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Headlight Bulb Change

MLW2233

Decided to get around to changing the standard headlight bulbs for some uprated ones as I always thought the headlights were avaerage at best. Gen 2.

What a job. I followed the manual but it still took ages because you cannot see anything and can only do it by feel. The left one is worse. Don't rush it and snap anything off. Be gentle.

Two tips. Smear vasaline on the centre and edges of the circular rubber end cover. This allows the rubber to slip (and maybe waterproof) the tube of the bulb. It also allows a smooth and easy locking action.

Make sure the power lead really is conneccted. Mine were not so no lights! It's beacuse it is all done by feel. Hope that's now done for many years.

Yes, that is easy just as the manual says, but it is still a very difficult job. If the front was 4 inches longer and you could see the task, and it would take 4 minutes a side.

i got the boys at Halfords to do it for £4.99, they came out with bleeding hands, good job it wasn't me.

What is very wrong about all this inability to easily change a headlight bulb (and it afflicts many modern cars - I know from bitter experience the Ford Focus is a real pain and a sure-fire skin remover....) is that I believe I read somewhere that it is potentially infringing certain vehicle construction regulations. More over it makes a mockery of the legal requirement in France to carry spare bulbs if you can't actually change them easily and quickly by the roadside. Thank goodness bulbs last longer these days than years ago, although at least you could change an Austin Maxi bulb in about 30 seconds flat :clown:

More over it makes a mockery of the legal requirement in France to carry spare bulbs if you can't actually change them easily and quickly by the roadside.

To change the bulbs on a Renault Meganne involves removing the wheel arch liner, the wheel etc.. Typical government to pass legislation and ignore the main issue.

(Anyone who buys a Meganne is -based on what I have seen and read- inviting the hassle and expense they are about to get. "Badly designed junk" is far too kind.)