Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Headlights Not Working

mrhclarke

My Avensis D4D TR has a couple of small issues.

Firstly the auto headlights do not work. I am guessing it's a sensor issue. Even if I put my hand over the sensor te lights still stay off. Is this a common fault?

The second issue is the idle is a little lumps and sometimes dips way for 1000rpm for a few seconds then back. Is this normal? This is my first Avensis...

Finally I have small spots of bubbling rust on each top door corner. My car is an 08 plate, so I am guessing out of corrosion warranty? My brothers Y plate Focus has just had the rear arches done in the fantastic 12 year Ford corrosion warranty.

I have to say apart from these small issues my £5000 Avensis seems to be a lot of car for the money. I'm looking forward to years of reliable motoring with this one! :0)

Hi & welcome :)

you don't say which engine ...

On the diesels it's normal for cold idle to be ~1200rpm especially if you have extra load like heater/fan/aircon, lights etc. on.

Once warm that will drop to ~800rpm but again extra load will increase that.

Mine is a 2.2 D4D TR. The idle is around 1000 when warm, but drops every 10 seconds to 800 for a few seconds then back to 1000. It's not causing me any issues, but just wondered if it is normal. I guess normal is hard to determine unless you have owned more that one Avensis.

if you don't have things like heating/fan/aircon or lights running then I would say that idling at 1000rpm when warm was unusual for a 2.2 D4D.

If you do then the car will increase the idle speed to provide the extra power to run these.

btw afaik Toyota have a 12 year anti-corrosion/anti-perforation warranty for sheet steel but the paintwork & surface rust warranty is only 3 years.

The idle also depends on outside temp too, I think if its above 11degrees then the idle should be 800rpm, mine is anyway

As mentioned above, any load on the engine will "vary" the idle speed too

Paint and rust...no idea, but if its little, then some touch up pens should do the trick and esp if you catch it earlier

Concerning the auto headlights, it may seem an impertinant question but have you set the headlight swiitch to Auto by turning the knob fully anticlockwise?

Fitter

Yes, I have set it to auto on the switch, then covered up the sensor on the windscreen, but nothing happens. The Auto wipers do work though. I took off the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror to have a look at the sensor. There is a metal clip that holds a small round cover and the sensor (although I am not sure if this is just the wiper sensor, headlight sensor, or both). I reseated the sensor and tried it all again. but still nothing. I guess I could see how much Toyota charge for a new sensor, but I do not want to spent too much in case it it not the fault.

Yes, I have set it to auto on the switch, then covered up the sensor on the windscreen, but nothing happens. The Auto wipers do work though. I took off the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror to have a look at the sensor. There is a metal clip that holds a small round cover and the sensor (although I am not sure if this is just the wiper sensor, headlight sensor, or both). I reseated the sensor and tried it all again. but still nothing. I guess I could see how much Toyota charge for a new sensor, but I do not want to spent too much in case it it not the fault.

Well I have just been to my local Toyota dealership and they are creating a job card and submitting it for a corrosion warranty claim. They might say no, but it is worth a go.... Fingers crossed!

Can anyone tell me if te headlight sensor is part of the windscreen/mirror assembly or the small round bit on the dash in front of the instrument cluster?

I have a feeling that it's on the dash but I would need to check.

It looks like it is the small round bubble on the dash to the right of the air vent. I can't see how it comes out. I think I might have a chat to the Toyota garage so see if they have any ideas.. I hope it's something simple!

Yes its the small "blob" on the dash, but another way might be to use an independent garage and look for any error codes

It looks like it is the small round bubble on the dash to the right of the air vent. I can't see how it comes out. I think I might have a chat to the Toyota garage so see if they have any ideas.. I hope it's something simple!

Hello to all in this discussion about "Autoheadlights", Ok the first thing to do to test the function in daylight is to start the engine then switch the headlight switch to Auto, then with the drivers door CLOSED but a pieice of very thick dark cloth on the centre top of the windscreen to cover the rear view mirror area, now if it's working ok then then headlights and rear lights will be ON, pull the cloth away from the sensor area and within 5 seconds the lights will go out ..... Job done! If this method doesn't work then the sensor on the windscreen near the rear view mirror is faulty.

The mistake most people make when testing is leaving the drivers door open or not having the engine running, like most things it's easy when you know how ;) .

I hope this explanation lights up your life!

Best regards, Pete.

On the RAV4, there are 2 of these "dome" sensors on the dash. One is for the auto headlights, the other is for the auto climate control. If there is one on the Avensis, it could be used for either function. The part looks like this:

IMG_2193.JPG

So if that dome is the sensor it looks like it should just pull out.

Yes, you have to press in the tabs from underneath and then it should come right out the top.

Why are you looking at the dome sensor when the Toyota Avensis handbook clearly states and arrows to the sensor behind the rear view mirror. That is 100% where it is ... AND .... I went to the trouble of testing it for you or am I just wasting my time trying to help you out because if I am say so.

Pete.

Sorry, I don't have the manual for my car. I only thought it was that dome on the dash because I picked up the mk3 Avensis brochure the other day when ordering parts for mine and noticed they mentioned the 'dusk' sensor is on the dash. I guess mine must be faulty then. I have turned mine to auto with the engine running and the for closed and covered up the sensor by the mirror.

My car is in my local garage for a rear wheel bearing next week, I will ask them to plug into the diagnostic machine. Hopefully a faulty sensor will show up?

Thank for all of your advice, it genuinely is appreciated. Hopefully as I become more familiar with my car I can offer others advice.

• 2 years later...

Hi

There appears to be quite a lot of questions surrounding the automatic light sensor on a number of different models within the Toyota model range. I have a 2010 Auris Hybrid T Spirit that appears never to have had the sensor and the wiring loom fitted during manufacture. I am in dispute with Toyota about this and I have been dealing with the problem through the Toyota dealership from where I purchased the car last year. Toyota say that it was not part of the build specification on my car but I contend that it forms part of standard features to be found on the Auris Hybrid T Spirit which is included in the owners manual. Although I did not buy the car from new, I cannot believe that the previous owner would have declined to have the automatic light sensor fitted.

Other Toyotas of the same year and model appear to have them fitted. Is there anyone out there with the same problem or am I on my own?

Hi

There appears to be quite a lot of questions surrounding the automatic light sensor on a number of different models within the Toyota model range. I have a 2010 Auris Hybrid T Spirit that appears never to have had the sensor and the wiring loom fitted during manufacture. I am in dispute with Toyota about this and I have been dealing with the problem through the Toyota dealership from where I purchased the car last year. Toyota say that it was not part of the build specification on my car but I contend that it forms part of standard features to be found on the Auris Hybrid T Spirit which is included in the owners manual. Although I did not buy the car from new, I cannot believe that the previous owner would have declined to have the automatic light sensor fitted.

Other Toyotas of the same year and model appear to have them fitted. Is there anyone out there with the same problem or am I on my own?

Hello Michael - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The owners manuals in English are used for more than one country and the section that describes the headlight operation has the rider 'if equipped' against both the manual and automatic modes for the headlights. As the manuals are used across more than one country, they do not detail the exact specification for any trim level in any one country - so although a feature may be described in the owners manual, the manual isn't representative of what may or may not be a standard feature of models either in the UK or elsewhere.

Using a brochure from the period the car was purchased new won't help provide you with the exact specification of your car, as most manufacturers (and Toyota is no different) include a disclaimer where they reserve the right to change specifications, equipment and availability without notice, and that the brochures may not reflect the exact specification for that country.