Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Claying

DjRav

Paintwork was really "rough" to the touch so decided to give "claying" a try this weekend. Bought a kit and it was really easy and now the whole car is smooth as glass to the touch. Wish I tried it earlier!

Dave

It makes a big difference. The only trouble is it doesn't last long especially if you park near trees. The neighbours also think you are odd when you keep feeling your car!!!

It's one of those "chewing gum for the brain" jobs, Dave, best done twice a year if ye want to be slightly anal....once in the early spring to get the car waxed and nice for the "summer"....summer in Canada thus far pure brill , then agin in late autumn to get ready furra good coat of Collinite Insulator Wax for winter.

Then you can be really anal like me and get into machine polishing, about which Chris Rea had a hit single....

Just found a gadget today at Canadian Tyre, who sells everything from condoms (some with 2 bedrooms AND bathrooms...) to tyres and stuff.....it's an electric giant size bloody toothbrush for removing the excess polish and wax from the seams of yer car when you are finished !!!!! All begging letters for wan should be sent in the form of a PM please....

Brain Deid Kev

It's one of those "chewing gum for the brain" jobs, Dave, best done twice a year if ye want to be slightly anal....once in the early spring to get the car waxed and nice for the "summer"....summer in Canada thus far pure brill , then agin in late autumn to get ready furra good coat of Collinite Insulator Wax for winter.

Then you can be really anal like me and get into machine polishing, about which Chris Rea had a hit single....

Just found a gadget today at Canadian Tyre, who sells everything from condoms (some with 2 bedrooms AND bathrooms...) to tyres and stuff.....it's an electric giant size !Removed! toothbrush for removing the excess polish and wax from the seams of yer car when you are finished !!!!! All begging letters for wan should be sent in the form of a PM please....

Brain Deid Kev

Don't want to seem picky Oh Great Scottish One but why not just use the other half's leccy toothbrush? Much cheaper.

Don,t forget there are three grades of clay. I found the best one if you are doing it twice a year is the "yellow" mild clay. It just takes a slight bite at the clear-coat and is not as aggressive as the blue type.

Regards Clare.

Don,t forget to use plenty of detailing mist or water when using the clay.

Wee snippet I just found out yesterday, so if you already know, please excuse me being at the cow's tail as usual.

I expected Canada to be cheaper for such as my preferred option of Meguiar's Blue Mild clay bars. I have always been intrigued by the fact that "3M" also "made" clay bars, but these were usually more expensive than even the overpriced Meguiar's (stupid American spelling of a guid Irish name....)

Guess whit....? 3M bought Meguiar's lock, stock and barrel a wee while back I am told by a bodyshop assistant. So did they reduce the 3M clay bars to the level of Meg's....? Naw.....they brought up the price to match 3M's....!!!

Long story short....200gm bars are same price both sides of the world. That equates to about £28.00 (plus postage back home.)

Annoyed Kev

Knew that 3M had taken over Meguiers i think sometime last year ( or could be wrong),saw it on DW. Wonder if that is why Mike Philips jumped ship and went to Autogeeks.

Regards Clare

Don,t forget there are three grades of Clay. I found the best one if you are doing it twice a year is the "yellow" mild clay. It just takes a slight bite at the clear-coat and is not as aggressive as the blue type.

Regards Clare.

Funny you should say that. I got through a fair bit of detailer, most of a spray bottle in fact, which came in the "kit" (all Meguiars stuff) but the clay lasted well. So can I use water to the same effect? Or is the detailer doing something special?

Dave

Don,t forget there are three grades of Clay. I found the best one if you are doing it twice a year is the "yellow" mild clay. It just takes a slight bite at the clear-coat and is not as aggressive as the blue type.

Regards Clare.

Funny you should say that. I got through a fair bit of detailer, most of a spray bottle in fact, which came in the "kit" (all Meguiars stuff) but the clay lasted well. So can I use water to the same effect? Or is the detailer doing something special?

Dave

Have experimented with H2O alone Dave. Some clays like Bilt Hamber are designed for water lubrication, but will readily "jar" if watter not really copious.

The yellow clay Oor Clare refers to is from Clean Your Car.co.uk (darn nice folks....) and does indeed work with watter, albeit keep the flow copious still.

Listen to me....suddenly the bloody expert....why could Bluevortex and Charlie not leave me alone with ma 12 string Taylor guitar.....?

Big Kev

You lot need help, why are you spending hard earned coin in keeping a 4x4 shiny?

You need a nice sheen of mud and dust to protect the paint from stone chips and tree sap.

Because we love our cars!!!,and learning the correct art of detailing is a science. It,s about trying to get perfection, just take a look at Kev,s Rav and Charlies, ( not forgetting Dons and Andy,s). They are absolute Class!!!!!, but it is a learning curve.

Regards Clare

You lot need help, why are you spending hard earned coin in keeping a 4x4 shiny?

You need a nice sheen of mud and dust to protect the paint from stone chips and tree sap.

Because we love our cars!!!,and learning the correct art of detailing is a science. It,s about trying to get perfection, just take a look at Kev,s Rav and Charlies, ( not forgetting Dons and Andy,s). They are absolute Class!!!!!, but it is a learning curve.

Regards Clare

I'm with Gods_Gift...here..its made for this....

oh...cant copy from you tube anymore ? :(