Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Gt4 St205 - Knocking Front Suspension - What To Do?

vitzpower

Hi All,

I have a Celica GT4 (ST205), which I have owned for the last 4-5 years. It was my daily driver up until 2 half years ago when my work required a more economical car. The Celica has sadly been sitting around for a bit.

The front suspension has developed a knocking when the car is running at lower speeds, but it doesn't completely stop either at higher speeds. I am aware that the superstrut and figure of 8's need to be changed at 60k miles. The car has done just over 59k miles and to be honest is not driven hard. My mechanic has checked the car over and there is no play in relation to the fig 8's.

So .... he reckons that it could be the front shocks which may be the issue, as when it was being MOT'd recently he noticed that there was creaking when the steering was turned.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on whether to change the shocks or the fig 8's?

Could be anything. 60k is about the time superstrut and shock need replacing anyway.

Creaking when turning sounds like the banana arms to me as mine did this when one of the bolts was loose. Also caused a knocking when stopping and pulling away.

My old st185 had a similar thing that turned out to be front top mounts which i replaced with a pair of TRD ones,noise gone :blow:

Is it superstrut? I agree. Knocking at low speed bumps is almost always the control arms

Buy them yourself. This seems to be a favoured part for adding a 110% mark up by mechanics

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will be replacing the shocks and Fig 8's.

I will be buying the parts myself. The shocks are OK, genuine Toyota parts (KYB) @ £219 a pair.

The Fig 8's are pricey for what they are. £72.00 each is the best I can find in the UK. Anyone know of a supplier that can do these parts for any cheaper?

Had a quick look around and apart from a guy on eBay selling second hand ones at £40 72 is as good as you're gonna get :disgust:

Did you check that your banana arm bolts arent loose? They sometimes work themselves free and it would be a shame to spend hundreds of pounds for no reason.

gt4jas, thanks for having a look for me. I did see that listing, but was not sure how 'used' that part is - looks OK though.

Leeky, I have not checked yet, but will definitely do so before spending any £'s. Just to be sure, was it the banana arm or the lower track control arm that was loose on your car?

Thanks again, chaps!

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk

those guys are pretty good. theyre reasonablly priced and have been dealing with Gt4's for 20 years

Id give them a call to check price before you buy anything just in case they can be cheaper.

Hope that helps =]

Why are you replacing the figure 8's when you dont know where the knocking is coming from?

One of my fig 8's has been on for over 100,000 k of some very hard driving at high speeds on bumpy roads.

These are all expensive joints and it may be your control arms knocking which can be more expensive.

You might do the Fig 8's and the knock could still be there.

Get your mechanic to have a look when its on a hoist and lever the joints with a crowbar to find out which one it is.

The Fig 8's can knock when there is only a tiny amount of play. The control arms are a llittle more obvious.

Thamim, thanks for the link. I found those guys when I did a Google search for ST205 parts. I will definitely go back to them first - once I know which part needs replacing.

Golden Bay NZ. Thanks for the tip. It was just my 'Usual Suspects' way of thinking. I will have the car up first an give the parts a check before buying, as you advised. When we last looked at the car, there was no play in the fig 8's. The car has also had a relatively easy life as well, so it should not reach 60K miles and just fail.

Leeky, I have not checked yet, but will definitely do so before spending any £'s. Just to be sure, was it the banana arm or the lower track control arm that was loose on your car?

Check the bolt that holds the banana arm onto the floor under your foot.

Also check the bolt that holds your lower control arm onto the subframe (one that the fig8 sits on).

I've had both these on the drivers side work their way loose after some very hard track days.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links