Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 2006 T180 Starter Button

Bullman

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so "Hello everyone" and I hope this topic isn't cover elsewhere, if so, sorry.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the OEM start button (black) £190 with a TRD start button (red). £131 inc shipping from States.

What I was wondering is:

Is this just a straight swap ie: take black one out, replace with the red.

Will the button affect the immobilser? The parts lad in Toyota wasn't sure.

Would the button require de/coding? Again the parts lad not sure, neither was the salesman.

Are the rear of the switches the same configuration?

Is there anyone on here attempted this swap and what was peoples reaction? I have coordinated red mats and seat belt pads and thought this might top it off.

Thanks in advance for any hints/tips/advice.

Bullman

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so "Hello everyone" and I hope this topic isn't cover elsewhere, if so, sorry.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the OEM start button (black) £190 with a TRD start button (red). £131 inc shipping from States.

What I was wondering is:

Is this just a straight swap ie: take black one out, replace with the red.

Will the button affect the immobilser? The parts lad in Toyota wasn't sure.

Would the button require de/coding? Again the parts lad not sure, neither was the salesman.

Are the rear of the switches the same configuration?

Is there anyone on here attempted this swap and what was peoples reaction? I have coordinated red mats and seat belt pads and thought this might top it off.

Thanks in advance for any hints/tips/advice.

Bullman

Hello Bullman and welcome to the house of fun.

Depending on the reply you get, and I am sure all security chipping will be in the transponder you have in yer pocket, I am in That Canada for next 16 days and if can pick you up said starter button cheaper, jist shout and I shall get thee wan.

Big Kev....ALL ROUND good guy.

Cheers Kev.

I forgot to mention it's a diesel starter button I'm looking to replace. Would it have a preheat setting???? I really fancy one but don't want to fork out ££££££s if it's not gonna be any good.

Giraffe's Bum that one mate....way over my head....SOMEBODY WILL KNOW...???

If the reason for the change is for colour coding,would it not be a lot lot cheaper to paint the existing starter button red?

LOL Hoovie, it would but it wouldn't look half as good. Have you seen my painting skills? :-\

I just think these buttons look the dogs.

If it something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c24f2ebed

I expect there is more chance of it working than not, but only one way to find out. I'd expect it to be essentially the same switch as the standard one with just the front changed.

Something like this is probably dodgy:

http://www.ebay.co.u...n-/250875731486

Standard switch has a 14 way connector on the back. I suspect that the switch is not coded to the car. Most of what it contains is effectively a demodulator @ 125kHz for the transponder in the key - as the backup for when the key fob Battery dies. Demodulated transponder data stream is passed out of the back of the switch for decoding by the security ECU.

Alternatively, wear rose tinted specs :nerd:

That's exactly the one I was looking at Shcm. Although they are cheaper from

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trd-push-start-switch-51266

You have confirmed exactly what I had thought regarding the decoder, thank you.

A bit more digging and I might just make the plunge.

The demodulation of the transponder datastream was what was causing me concern, Bullman.....that's why I thought it better to wait until shcm came along to give you a definitive reply.

Aye right......

Big Kev....happy to walk under giraffes.

Cheers Big Kev.

I will be having a look at the rear of the switch for comparison with TRD unit. I will keep you informed of progress.

Thanks to Fensport in Cambridgeshire for the advice. They confirm that this unit is plug and play, just need to take some trim off.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Bullman.

look forward to seeing this mod....

I shall attempt to post pics when complete.

• 6 months later...

Just an update.

Managed to track an TRD button down on eBay and after a bit of haggling managed to secure one for £80 inc shipping from Canada.

That said, I've been waiting over two months for it, although the seller has sent another one out, so I could end up with two?!!!!!

Also managed to purchase a trim removal kit from China for about £4. It looks like it should be up to the job, so I'm attempting this one myself. I will attempt to post progress pics.

Just gotta wait on it's arrival now..............................

Just an update.

Managed to track an TRD button down on eBay and after a bit of haggling managed to secure one for £80 inc shipping from Canada.

That said, I've been waiting over two months for it, although the seller has sent another one out, so I could end up with two?!!!!!

Also managed to purchase a trim removal kit from China for about £4. It looks like it should be up to the job, so I'm attempting this one myself. I will attempt to post progress pics.

Just gotta wait on it's arrival now..............................

Good grief, mucker.....from Canadashire.....? Where was I when I said I would try and pick ye wan up.....? Spooky or what ?

• 3 weeks later...

Kev

You're not wrong there.

The button never arrived, so now waiting on

another been sent out, this time with tracking info,

which suggests it's left Canada and on its way!

Updates when available.

Thanks all.

Believe your supplier, mate,,,,from personal experience, the Canadian postal service is woeful.

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting.................

Although its now showing on RM track & trace!!!! According to Canada post website, it's with UK customs, so hopefully might be here within 2 months??? Hopefully in time for my birthday?!!! Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Wahey! It's finally arrived this morning, after being taken hostage by customs and the good wife paying the ransom!

It's a bit windy in Bonny Scotland to be sat on the drive today, so hopefully I'll crack on with it tomorrow. As my lad would say "It's a happy day" !!!!

Fingers crossed, fitting will commence tomorrow.

Meanwhile a picture for you.post-124788-0-33792100-1366136113_thumb.

I shall attempt to post fitting pics..........

Watch this space....LOL

• Like 1

The instructions aren't very clear unless anyone speaks Japanese?????

post-124788-0-50946200-1366136802_thumb.

Well, install complete. Using a few basic tools and a hand from the brother in law.

Took 40 minutes. If you know what you're doing it'll take less time.

We weren't sure where the panels declipped or realised the head unit had to be unbolted.

I'm very pleased with the results.

post-124788-0-07468700-1366202380_thumb.

Good wan, Tim.....purely on a personal note, ah prefer the grey blending in rather than the red shoutin' here ah am.....