Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan And Temp Gauge

andyhansen77

Hi,

The last couple of days I have noticed my corolla t-sport's fan coming on alot and possibly being on even when i am driving.

Then this morning I pulled away pretty quick and noticed the temp gauge went up quite a bit and then went back down to normal.

Any reason to be concerned?

Cheers

Hi,

The fan is supposed to come on while you are driving, thats normal, you can often notice it on a warm day when stuck in traffic.

Temp gauge going up when pulling away, then going back down -well I would be a bit concerned given that its not normal for your car ?

It could be so many things causing it, just about anything connected to the cooling system or even the electronics / gauge itself.

You do not give any details of the cars history , services or work done on the cooling system, if any.

Perhaps start with the obvious, coolant level ok ? - any drop in its level recently ?

Hi,

The fan is supposed to come on while you are driving, thats normal, you can often notice it on a warm day when stuck in traffic.

Temp gauge going up when pulling away, then going back down -well I would be a bit concerned given that its not normal for your car ?

It could be so many things causing it, just about anything connected to the cooling system or even the electronics / gauge itself.

You do not give any details of the cars history , services or work done on the cooling system, if any.

Perhaps start with the obvious, coolant level ok ? - any drop in its level recently ?

Thanks for your response. I think the car is due for its full service at the end of this month. Maybe that will sort any underlying issues.

It has never had any work done on the cooling system.

The only problem I have ever had was starting the car on cold mornings - but seeing as we havent had any cold mornings I havent had that problem for quite some time.

Just checked the Engine coolant (in a white plastic compartment with Min and full written on it (I think thats right) ) and its actually empty..I have never filled it up either :dontgetit:

If you've been losing coolant - not uncommon - then the temperature gauge will shoot up within the blink of an eye and then return to normal.

This happens because the coolant is being replace with air which is going to read a much higher temperature than coolant would. This is common after a car has been serviced and the coolant hasn't quite filled all of the airlocks throughout the system.

Fill it back up with the correct ratio of coolant and then see how it goes. Check regularly for any leaks too, the water pump seems to be the usual place.

KP

If you've been losing coolant - not uncommon - then the temperature gauge will shoot up within the blink of an eye and then return to normal.

This happens because the coolant is being replace with air which is going to read a much higher temperature than coolant would. This is common after a car has been serviced and the coolant hasn't quite filled all of the airlocks throughout the system.

Fill it back up with the correct ratio of coolant and then see how it goes. Check regularly for any leaks too, the water pump seems to be the usual place.

KP

I have some coolant about 3 litres i think. where exactly do I put this in? and is it a 50/50 mixture i need?

You can use the Radiator cap - old skool way of doing things :P or you can use the header tank, if indeed the CTS has one - I can'tr remember!

KP

You can use the Radiator cap - old skool way of doing things :P or you can use the header tank, if indeed the CTS has one - I can'tr remember!

KP

Right i just stuck a litre of coolant into the Radiator cap and gave the pipes a squeeze to suck the coolant. do i need to add a litre of water as well? or can i just keep feeding it coolant?

Where does the coolant disappear to as a guy at work reckons its either leaking (cant see any leaks under the car) or burning off?

Is the Antifreeze a premixed formula? If so then you don't need to add water, however if it's concentrated you often need to keep the mix at 50/50 so add water to even out the concentration.

If you can't see a leak then look harder, if still no then check the footwells for a wet carpet suggesting a leaky heater matrix. If still no then it's burning off on something very hot so check anything that'd boil off water.

Is the Antifreeze a premixed formula? If so then you don't need to add water, however if it's concentrated you often need to keep the mix at 50/50 so add water to even out the concentration.

If you can't see a leak then look harder, if still no then check the footwells for a wet carpet suggesting a leaky heater matrix. If still no then it's burning off on something very hot so check anything that'd boil off water.

The stuff iI bought was coolant and Anti-Freeze in one. I presume i wont have to add any water then.

Ok will have a closer after work and see if anything is leaking. Car is having a full service this weekend but would prefer it going in there with minimal damage so the toyota service guys dont sting me

Ok then you shouldn't need to add any water :) And that makes sense mate, I hope you get it sorted soon!

If the engine is up to operating temperature, try and listen out for any hissing noises which might suggest steam where coolant is boiling off/leaking.

KP

Ok then you shouldn't need to add any water :) And that makes sense mate, I hope you get it sorted soon!

If the engine is up to operating temperature, try and listen out for any hissing noises which might suggest steam where coolant is boiling off/leaking.

KP

Thanks for your help, you lot on here are alot of help compared to these dodgy garages! :D

Personally i would change the whole lot of coolant, mixing two brands of coolant can cause it to go lumpy and block the coolant system.

Bad news. Seems the whole Rad is busted according to the garage. They are putting in a new one today £254 all in. I thought Japanese cars never fail :(

even the old ones seemed to fail at the radiator! I had a 92 Rolla executive owned it till about mid 00's the only thing that ever went wrong was the radiator!

When my dad bought his AE92 GTi they gave him a spare radiator for free as the one already on there had disintegrated - still worked fine mind it just looked shocking.

As I said, when the engine is up to full operating temperature, listen out for the hissing of steam - it doesn't mean the engine is overheating, it's just the boiling coolant depressurising as it leaves the pressurised cooling system to enter the atmospheric pressures.

I made the same mistake of panicking and thinking my GTi was overheating when it was actually working normally but just leaking a little coolant.

KP