Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Control Module - Affecting Transmission

Clive GC

Hi everyone

Newbie to this site - I have a 2003 Rav4 from new - Obviously it's 9 years old now - I am really happy with it, it's never had any problems but as it's getting on a few things are starting to go. Recently had to replace the Battery which wasn't an issue as the original did last a while, but the main problem at the moment is to do with the automatic transmission, rough gear change especially when put into reverse and very sluggish when pulling away which I suspect is because it's in the wrong gear, either second or third. It's fine on the motorways in higher gears but hates slow traffic etc. At first I thought it might be the gear box but because the problem is intermittent I dismissed this, I figured it couldn't be the clutch because it was fine at high speeds so that left the computer or the sensors the computer relies on.

To try and cut a long story shorter, can anyone recommend the most cost effective way of remedying the problem. I contacted toyota spares and they wanted between £813 - £870 for a new ECM. I understand it's possible to get it repaired but needs to be sent to Brooklyn.

Any advise would be appreciated

There is another place in the UK and you can get a club discount by mentioning the password "Don".

Can somebody find the link?

It still isn't cheap but I thing it is cheaper than the Brooklyn guys.

There is another place in the UK and you can get a club discount by mentioning the password "Don".

Can somebody find the link?

It still isn't cheap but I thing it is cheaper than the Brooklyn guys.

The place refered to can be found at www ecutesting. com

Don,you may remember them from Church St,Eastwood but as you can see they have moved.

They seem to be offering repairs to the units for £195.

Del

Nearly missed that you are a new member so,a big welcome to the club,Clive

Thanks so much for your response. I wish I had had the patience to wait but I have just sent my unit off to the Brooklyn guys before I saw your suggestions. I feel a bit of an idiot now, .... hopefully, fingers crossed, they will do a good job, ..the price they quoted wasn't far out but obviously no discount and a longer waiting time (customs etc) .... you live and learn :-)

I will keep you posted of the outcome

Cheers

Thanks Anchorman, that's very reassuring :-) ....I checked via tracking and it doesn't look like it's left the country yet, I just hope customs don't delay things too long in both directions.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Engine Control Module --- It took approximately a week to get to it's destination in Brooklyn and then about another week to get back, probably most of that time was due to customs in both directions -- I have received the ECM and re-installed it this morning and after a quick test drive all seems to be running smoothly :-D so I am over the moon as I have just saved myself £600 - £700 -- I will let you all know if the problem returns as it isn't always present and the car has sat for two weeks, but my gut instinct is it's all good as it always used to clunk into reverse gear which it isn't doing now --- I would highly recommend "Check Engines, Etc" in Brooklyn NY as they seem to have been as good as there word, the only down side was the time scale but for the money saved I'd say it's worth it. They charged £195.00 plus it cost £20 to post it over there...

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and reassurance

Ps if anyone is having the same problem and are having difficulty trying to get their ECM out due to the security bolts then you most probably need a "tamper proof torx plus" bit set, these have to be the five sided ones (most places seem to only sell the six sided ones but machine mart do a nice little 23 piece set)