Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.3 Gearbox Oil

alfiejts

Does anyone have any definitive info on the grade of oil to use in a 2008 1.3 Yaris manual gearbox?

Given the early life gearbox crunch issues which are now sorted with the selector mod, I want to change the gearbox oil to remove any metal filings that have been deposited.

I'm aware that most gearbox bearing failures are as a result of metal swarf because the oil normally never gets changed so for the sake of 2l of oil, I'm going to change it....

The manual specifies a straight 75W grade but websites are quoting a 75w-90 multigrade being the right oil for the 1.3 Yaris.

I'm also aware that some dealers have been using "different" oil specs to try and make the gearchange sweeter, so I don't know if there's been a general move away from the 75W in my manual to 75w-90 or whether the internet sites are simply wrong....

Has anyone got any info to clarify which grade to get?

I would go for 75w as the handbook advises. but no harm asking aToyota dealer if there another grade if they may tried which they have good had a result with.

• 2 months later...

I had terrible trouble when I changed the gearbox oil I'm my 00 1.0gs. For a GL5 oil. The dealer changed it for auto transmission fluid which eased the problem slightly.

Eventually changed to Redline MTL which is a 70w-80 GL4 fluid. And the box has returned to normal.

Mark

The correct grade as stated is a straight 75w oil. When carrying out the selector mod as you have, Toyota state 75w must be used by dealers to ensure a satisfactory repair.