Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can Bus - 'bulb' Compatability

nisbet7

Hi,

I have recently bought a '61 plate Auris HSD - and want to brighten the boot with LED replacement festoon bulb, I have a couple of queries:

i) does this require CAN BUS compatible LED 'bulb' - also is 31mm the right size ?

ii) can someone recommend the best choice of number of SMD's (2/4/6/9/12?) to brigten the boot without it looking like a scene from "Close Encounters..." ?

thanks in advance,

Nisbet.

Gary, these interior lamps have nothing to do with the CAN bus. I recently fitted LED's to all the interior lights in my RAV4, as well as number plate light and reverse lights. Here are the eBay LED's I used next to the original incandescent bulbs:

IMG_0984a.jpg

I used the 6-LED festoon for the rear cargo door, and it helps a lot. Since it was a little longer I had to bend one of the housing's contact tabs outward using needle nose pliers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330761057722

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150848698412

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150847181219

I found the LED's to be brighter, but still pants.

In mine, I bought a 1 meter LED strip off eBay, stuck it to the underside of the parcel shelf, and wired it to the original bulb.

I now get a bright, fluid light across the entire boot and if i ever need to get to the spare wheel kit, that will be well lit too.

Total cost was under £5 and about an hour to fit it myself. Very easy and much better than standard bulbs.

Chaps, I can't thank you enough for your quick responses on this, I'll be going for James's option as frequently we have the parcel shelf in and out, I'll report back my experience once the new 'bulb' is in.

Cheers,

G.

The parcel shelf isn't an issue.

I used bullet connectors on mine, so it can be disconnected quickly and safely and removed in no time (add 5 seconds to removal time).

does an 07 t-180 have a CAN bus system ?

As far as I'm aware, all the Auris models use CANBUS wiring.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the guidance.

I have installed a non-CANBUS 12SMD 38mm festoon bulb (the 31mm was wrong size for this car) and it is bright enough without being too bright and is much brighter than the stock bulb, but as "Daveyonthemove" advised it a strip would provide a better light across the width of the boot, but I know my better half would be hard pushed to connect and disconnect the lights when she had to remove the shelf and there'd be a panic coming on that would be better avoided!

The car has just had its first service, and over the last few weeks I have had the new LED in place there have been no troubles.

One tip for anyone else upgrading the boot light - the whole shebang comes out not just the coverplate, then the back is taken off the assembly to get to the bulb. I cursed several times before realising that one!

Nisbet7

If you're not keen on disconnecting the cables while removing the shelf you can attach the strips as follows:

p10507252.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links