Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Squeal After New Pads And Discs - Any Info Would Be Well Receive

seancass

I have had new pads and discs on all four wheels replaced at main Toyota dealer on my 2002 Rav 4 (43,000 on the clock and well maintained.) They replaced F/N/S calliper as it had seized so there was much work undertaken. However, it has been back three times now because the F/N/S brake squeals when the brake is applied (coming to traffic lights and to a stop) after about five miles or so (when the brakes have heated up.) It is only on the F/N/S where the work was done to replace the calliper.

It went in again recently and the noise stopped for a couple of days. I travelled about 50 miles during that period without any squeal. However, after a very short one mile run this evening it has started to squeal again when the brake is applied and the car is drawing to a stop. It only does it when the vehicle is coming to a stop and the brake is being increasingly applied.

If it were a simple case of breaking in the brake I would expect that all four wheels would need the same treatment and would exhibit the same squeal but the other three wheels are fine. Remember, all wheels had new discs and pads.

The mechanics have almost come to the end of the line. They say they replaced that front calliper with a new one when all the work was done and they have replaced the new pad that was fitted to the F/N/S.

Any ideas anyone? I feel embarrassed taking it back for the fourth time to the main dealer but having just spend £1,600 with them keeping my vehicle in tip-top shape I think they need to resolve it as I did not have this problem before it went in for the work.

Many thanks in anticipation of replies/suggestions.

Sean

Cor strewf, Seanster.....try to get over yer embarrassment mate....you have spent a large sum of cash with these folks, AND IT'S THEIR PROBLEM TO FIND THE SOURCE OF THE SQUEAK !!!!!

IF THAT'S WHAT THEY CHARGED YOU FOR THE WORK THAT YOU DESCRIBE, IT SOUNDS WAY OTT TO ME, so the blessed least they can do is see you squeakless.

Big Kev.

Sean, ask them if they replaced the anti-squeal shims. There should be 2 on the back of each pad for a total of 4. Also ask them if they applied a small amount of high temp grease to each shim especially where the piston contacts the inner pad/shim. Toyota sells the shims in a kit--they are sold separately from the pads and the caliper.

I agree. There should be quite a comprehensive set of shims as shown in the pinned section.

Many thanks indeed for these suggestions guys. They are having a meeting to discuss the way forward and I will certainly raise the issue of shims.

S

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links