Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Noise When Idling

kcummins

I have a 53 reg d4d avensis. there is a strange rattling noise coming from it when it is idling. when i rev the car it goes straight away. i have been looking around online and it sounds like a possible flywheel issue. i put it into gear and eased the clutch out a few times and during this the rattling was more consistent. Whats stranges is i also read it could be something to do with the aircon. so i did this again with the aircon on and the sound was gone. the idle rattling was also gone when the aircon was on.

When the bonnet is open the noise is coming from the left side of the engine. close to the timing belt.

video please

but first thing to do is to check with all possible loosen parts under the bonnet.

is an idle stable?

it is understood when you turn A/C ON -- the engine gets more load and that is why the engine increases RPM -- this leads to disappearance of abnormal noises.

any smoke exhaust ?

regards / Igor

when it is at idle the noise stops and starts. no when the ac comes on it seems to stop. if i rev it the noise stops. thanks for the reply. ill try get a video up today. im going to call into the mechanic so ill post what he says it is.

when it is at idle the noise stops and starts. no when the ac comes on it seems to stop. if i rev it the noise stops. thanks for the reply. ill try get a video up today. im going to call into the mechanic so ill post what he says it is.

Clutch rattle ?

Does it go when you depress the clutch ?

Clutch rattle ?

Does it go when you depress the clutch ?

it was also rattling in neutral. i brought it to my mechanic he said it was the aircon. i dont need it so he said he can put a new belt on and by pass it. So now i wont have aircon anymore. He knew it straight away he said it was his 3rd this year.

Air con magnetic clutch, that's why it comes and goes on idle with the air con in use, as the magnetic clutch is in and out according to the temp of the thermistor.

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly same thing done, rattling noise has gone.

just had mine repaired/replaced

its a common problem with the air con compressor

cost me £600 for a replacement compressor /regas and fitting fees

its the bearings in the compressor... so its driven all the time so potentially it could collapse /seize

btw a compressor from MR T is £1000+

so shop around

Air con magnetic clutch

Air con magnetic clutch