Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuck Starter Motor

greg_s

Hello all! The starter motor has been temperamental recently in my 54 plate Avensis 2.0 T4. I'm assuming its probably the solenoid, as a tap with a bar gets it working again. However, while trying to remove the motor today to see if the contacts need cleaning, or if I need to replace the motor itself, I came unstuck. I moved pipes and cables out of the way and got the two bolts out without a problem, but I can't seem to shift the motor. I've given it a few taps with a solid bar and managed to pry it away so there is about 2mm gap, but I can't seem to get it any further. I'm assuming there is an O ring that fused and that's probably not helping maters.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get the thing out?

Cheers :)

Hello all! The starter motor has been temperamental recently in my 54 plate Avensis 2.0 T4. I'm assuming its probably the solenoid, as a tap with a bar gets it working again. However, while trying to remove the motor today to see if the contacts need cleaning, or if I need to replace the motor itself, I came unstuck. I moved pipes and cables out of the way and got the two bolts out without a problem, but I can't seem to shift the motor. I've given it a few taps with a solid bar and managed to pry it away so there is about 2mm gap, but I can't seem to get it any further. I'm assuming there is an O ring that fused and that's probably not helping maters.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get the thing out?

Cheers :)

Hi Greg, no you are doing everything right there are only 2 bolts holding it in place so try a little more prying with your bar in different places. I have attached a .pdf file which covers starting and charging systems for both petrol and diesel models, this tells you everything you need to know.

Regards Pete.

STARTING & CHARGING.pdf

Many thanks Pete, that's awesome! I'm going to try again on sunday with a friend and his rather large array of tools!

Ok, now it seems I have another problem! After getting the motor out and giving it a good cleaning, I put it back together, connected everything up and it all worked fine, so I refitted it to the car, and now it won't engage the flywheel. I can hear the solenoid fire and the motor run, but it won't tur the flywheel. Is there some kind of clutch in the starter motor that might be stopping the gear from spinning? Or maybe the motor itself isn't working hard enough? I was working fine before I took it out, so it seems odd that it won't work now.

I'm going to get a new motor anyway, but I'm keen to know why this one now won't engage the flywheel!