Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Demisting

alan.

The bottom line with the Prius is don't try to second guess the car. It's smarter than you are.

The bottom line with the Prius is don't try to second guess the car. It's smarter than you are.

I would agree, except for when you have Auto/AC on and then turn the car off and it's late Autumn - this often results in front/rear window condensation :-)

If only it ran the ventilation with AC off for a minute after the car was turned off to dry things out!

Maybe this is a Gen 2 issue though...

this also happens on my gen 3. must be a general fault all round.

to demist without AC press the windscreen icon on the climate control section on the dash, then press the ac button to switch off the compressor and then use the fan speed button to slow the fan down (as it will go full tilt)

Will have to try that.

Edit:So it does :) You learn something everyday.

Note - using the AC will of course demist much faster, but the above works for me if I am feeling all eco and green.

But you have to use that scavenged electricity in the HV Battery on something, why not some A/C? smile.png

<minirant>

*****, what a palava! I just have to turn a dial on my Yaris and bam, air is blowing on the windscreen! :lol:

Why do things have to be made so complicated???

</rant>

Using the aircon to demist the screen is by far the most efficient method (BTW, you can get anti-misting cloth/sprays which help reduce the misting so it isn't so bad).

That said, you don't want the aircon demisting the screen ALL the time unless the air is so humid that it's misting straight away; If you leave it on all the time the glass gets very cold and that makes the misting and condensation even worse as soon as you turn it off; It's better to use it to get rid of the mist initially but then leave it blowing external air without AC to keep it gone.

On my car, I normally slap the temp to max and use it with the aircon to demist the screen, then dial it back to warm and turn the aircon off as soon as its done and that usually keeps the screen clear without wasting energy, but I don't know if you can do that in a climate-control equipped car like the Prius as usually as soon as you turn the temps up the climate control system shuts down the AC compressor!

My Gen 2 has automatic climate control - it automatically adjusts many settings, I don't have to think about managing whether the AC should be on or not - the computer handles that. I don't adjust what vents to use, the fan speed, or whether to use outside or recirculated air. The only inputs I occasionally make are to adjust the temperature from the steering wheel or via voice control, and I often don't need to do that, I just leave it set for months on end. And if the Windows are fogged or iced up, then I use the front or rear demist buttons.

Personally, I just can't see the point in taking manual control of the settings when the car seems to manage that for self. It's like owning a car with an Automatic transmission and then changing the gears yourself.

My Gen 2 has automatic climate control - it automatically adjusts many settings, I don't have to think about managing whether the AC should be on or not - the computer handles that. I don't adjust what vents to use, the fan speed, or whether to use outside or recirculated air. The only inputs I occasionally make are to adjust the temperature from the steering wheel or via voice control, and I often don't need to do that, I just leave it set for months on end. And if the Windows are fogged or iced up, then I use the front or rear demist buttons.

Personally, I just can't see the point in taking manual control of the settings when the car seems to manage that for self. It's like owning a car with an Automatic transmission and then changing the gears yourself.

I am of exactly the same opinion. And I am achieving mpg's in the late fifties to early sixties, so I don't see the point in freezing or boiling while out in the car. Driving should be comfortable and enjoyed, which in my Prius it is both.

Out of interest, a while ago I tried driving with the a/c off, and to be honest, I did not find it made any significant difference to fuel economy, but it did to my comfort.

We don't know why Alan doesn't wish to use the AC, it may not be MPG related.

For the casual owner, I doubt switching off the AC makes any noticeable difference, but for the hyper milers it may be a different story.

We don't know why Alan doesn't wish to use the AC, it may not be MPG related.

I am really intrigued and I hope Alan will elucidate us with his reasons. :)

*****, what a palava! I just have to turn a dial on my Yaris and bam, air is blowing on the windscreen!

It's not really a palava. The Prius is very simple. Just set the desired temperature and press auto.

Need a bit of a boost for screen demist? Just press the screen demist button.

When screen demisted, press the screen demist button again to turn it off.

It's just that alan doesn't want to use the A/C for some reason, whereas the Prius does in some cases.

<minirant>

*****, what a palava! I just have to turn a dial on my Yaris and bam, air is blowing on the windscreen! :lol:

</rant>

Using the aircon to demist the screen is by far the most efficient method (BTW, you can get anti-misting cloth/sprays which help reduce the misting so it isn't so bad).

That said, you don't want the aircon demisting the screen ALL the time unless the air is so humid that it's misting straight away; If you leave it on all the time the glass gets very cold and that makes the misting and condensation even worse as soon as you turn it off; It's better to use it to get rid of the mist initially but then leave it blowing external air without AC to keep it gone.

On my car, I normally slap the temp to max and use it with the aircon to demist the screen, then dial it back to warm and turn the aircon off as soon as its done and that usually keeps the screen clear without wasting energy, but I don't know if you can do that in a climate-control equipped car like the Prius as usually as soon as you turn the temps up the climate control system shuts down the AC compressor!

<minirant>

</rant>

*****, what a palava! I just have to turn a dial on my Yaris and bam, air is blowing on the windscreen!

It's not really a palava. The Prius is very simple. Just set the desired temperature and press auto.

Need a bit of a boost for screen demist? Just press the screen demist button.

When screen demisted, press the screen demist button again to turn it off.

It's just that alan doesn't want to use the A/C for some reason, whereas the Prius does in some cases.

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about this multi-step process you Prius owners need to go through to set the vents to blow on the windscreen :lol:

You should be able to keep a screen demisted just by blowing warmish air directly onto the windscreen rather than relying on the aircon ALL the time for the reasons I mentioned previously.

As for the AC phobia, I do know a girl who really doesn't like AC as it triggers her asthma if she's exposed to it for too long so it may be something like that...

Edit: Also, apologies, I don't know why my post has suddenly repeated twice above; All I did was hit refresh and click on Next to get to page three and suddenly there are 2 repeated posts and I can't delete them!?

Maybe another bug creeping in from this new site facelift? ;)

its not to do with mpg. i just wanted to know the correct settings for defogging the screen. for instance i never knew a/c was the best way. i never expected such a response, but thanks to you all.

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about this multi-step process you Prius owners need to go through to set the vents to blow on the windscreen :lol:
Sometimes you have to jump through a few hoops if you think you know better than the Prius. LOLIt is worth knowing that the A/C button on the prius (gen3 anway) doesn't turn the A/C on and off like it does on other cars. It is just a signal to the Prius that it can use the A/C if it wants to.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if i'm a bit late to the party!

One of the things i only just found out is to ensure that cabin re-circulation is off and the windscreen doesn't mist up anywhere near as much as when it's on.

I was constantly trapped in the cycle of blasting the aircon for a few seconds, then switching off for ten minutes, on again etc... to keep the screen clear. Was a right pain, particularly during rain.

thanks for all your advice.

i now use auto all the time and yes it does keep the screen clear.

one happy bunny ha ha ha.

thanks all

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for all your advice.

i now use auto all the time and yes it does keep the screen clear.

one happy bunny ha ha ha.

thanks all

The Prius knows best :king:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links