Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vin Doesn't Make Sense.

Andy Clockwise

I'm picking up my new Island Blue IQ2 on Monday. I have been given a "Confirmation of registration details" page which contains among other things the VIN.

I have been looking on this site http://tinyurl.com/d59rnp3 and according to the data on there, my car is an MR2 Spyder 5DR 2wd Van of indeterminate year and a 2RZ-FE engine.

Is the VIN wrong or is that not the correct information on that site for a UK vehicle?

I didn't want to post the VIN here in case it's not safe. Can criminals do anything with a VIN that would harm me?

Interesting page.

http://en.wikibooks....untry_of_origin

Mine translates as Japan made, Toyota, Passenger car, 5DR Door Van 2WD, 1AZ-FE, 1, Manual Belt / 1 STD, MR2 Spyder, and the rest of the numbers.

I'd suggest that the iQ chassis number don't conform to that standard.

Craig.

Actually iQ doesn't appear on that list of cars so maybe they have replaced cars with newer models as they become unavailable. The MR2 production was stopped in 2007 which was just before the iQ came out in 2008 so maybe they simply re-used their chassis code.

I think the data you have been given will be correct.

Craig.

Well if it's what's gone on the V5 then one would hope it was correct. I was just interested to see the year.

I am worried they might be giving me an old model that's been hanging around for a while. I've not seen it yet as it's come from another dealer.

If it has a plum interior then they can keep it.

According to the brochure, the interior on the Island Blue is grey - plum is only available on the chili red, black and decuma grey paints.

If its come from another dealer, just triple check the interior for marks just in case it was a showroom model that's had people climbing in and out. I had a Pug 407SW once that came from another dealer, the interior was quite marked in places. And they drove it between the dealers, so it had over 200 miles on it when I got it. It was a company lease, otherwise if it was my money they would have kept it.

Congratulations on the new car by the way, I'm sure you'll love it!

According to that page the tenth digit is the year but mine is a zero which doesn't correspond to any on there unless off course zero means 2010 model year which my car is. Maybe a 1 means 2011 but guessing here.. ?

Craig.

I think you're right Craig, the IQ vins don't seem to follow Toyota's regular pattern.

However, I just went on here:

http://www.vin-decoder.net/

Here's my result (with the last 4 digits XXXX'd out):

VIN number JTNML11000J06XXXX

Region Europe

Mark Toyota

Model Iq

Version UNDEFINEDUNDEFINED

Model Year 2011

Engine 1000cc 12-valve Dohc Efi

Serial Number 06XXXX

So according to this I have a 2011 manufactured EU IQ 1.0, which tallies with my dealer paperwork.

Jus

According to the brochure, the interior on the Island Blue is grey - plum is only available on the chili red, black and decuma grey paints.

If its come from another dealer, just triple check the interior for marks just in case it was a showroom model that's had people climbing in and out. I had a Pug 407SW once that came from another dealer, the interior was quite marked in places. And they drove it between the dealers, so it had over 200 miles on it when I got it. It was a company lease, otherwise if it was my money they would have kept it.

Congratulations on the new car by the way, I'm sure you'll love it!

As Justin says the Blue exterior comes with the grey interior, but I actually prefer the new "plum" interior to the grey and was pleasantly surprised when my red IQ turned up with a vastly improved interior to my old "plum" interior white IQ.

I wasn't aware at the time of ordering that there was a different interior option depending on the exterior colour, so it worked out well for me.

Each to his own of course!

I thought plum was just the old interior. I'm still learning. The test drive I had was in a black IQ2. That has a nice light grey interior with the red flash on top of the centre display.

The dealer said that the will have zero miles on it as it will be carried down to Coventry from Paisley.

I just tried the VIN site that Justin posted and it says

VIN number JTNML11000J0 Region Europe Mark Toyota Model Iq Version UNDEFINEDUNDEFINED Model Year 2011 Engine 1000cc 12-valve Dohc Efi Serial Number

Is there a 2012 model IQ or don't they update them every year? How would you find the actual date of manufacture?

As far as I'm aware from researching before our recent purchase, there were a few changes for the 2011 model year cars (available from autumn 2010) such as new soft touch interior plastics, new grey interior on some colours, drivers seat height adjustment, red trim on centre console and euro 5 engines. Mid 2011 saw the introduction of burnt orange paint option.

There were no changes for 2012, but there are some minor changes for the 2013 model year (available Sept i believe) such as new seat material and leather options, centre console trim will be black not red and a revised rear bumper.

I'm not sure how to find out when your car was actually built but as there were no changes for 2012 I wouldn't worry. Good to hear they are transporting it not driving it though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links