Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Fluid

rambler

Hi all

When my local village garage did my 110'000 service a while ago he pointed out that he had tested my brake fluid.

He reckoned it was showing ' Red ' on his tester, which he also reckons it hadnt been changed for years ! !.

Upon looking on my ' Toyota ' service sheets,( have had rav serviced by toyota all the way until this last service ).

The circle on the 100'000 mile sheet is kind of marked lol,.....so can only assume its never been changed in .....some time

So the question is.....what happens if brake fluid check shows ' red ' , should i get it changed ?.

The Rav brakes with no issued at all,stops as usual....no noises, ABS groans from front nearside occasionally ,apart from that its fine.

Opinions as always appreaciated. :thumbsup:

You need to get it changed Jamie.

On very new cars I never leave it more than 2 years and this is because the fluid absorbs moisture. That moisture can cause corrosion inside some of the components of the ABS pump which is hellish expensive.

Even on slightly older models 4 years would be a max so if you don't know any better, get it changed. If you call here on one of your jaunts to the northern hills I will help you.

If you get it done locally, make sure they do the clutch which is fed from the same reservoir and is often overlooked.

You need to get it changed Jamie. On very new cars I never leave it more than 2 years and this is because the fluid absorbs moisture. That moisture can cause corrosion inside some of the components of the ABS pump which is hellish expensive. Even on slightly older models 4 years would be a max so if you don't know any better, get it changed. If you call here on one of your jaunts to the northern hills I will help you. If you get it done locally, make sure they do the clutch which is fed from the same reservoir and is often overlooked.

Hi Don.

Looking back over my service sheets,the last time bake fluid was changed...was at 70'000 miles ...or 12 / 09 / 08 ! ! !

So have emailed local dealer principal,with all info, as paid for the job.

Know its not that bad....but if that ABS pump packs up ......

Thanks once again Don :thumbsup:

If hte garage did a test of the fluid in the reservoir the results are unlikely to be a true representation of the condition of the fluid in the working parts of the system. It may be better or worse so personally I wouldn't use such tests as a reliable means of ascertaining the condirion of the fluid of the overall system. The best way is to have the fluid changed as recommended by the manufacturer or sooner. Relying on the garge doing the servicing properly is another matter. A few dabs of paint on the bleed nipples would soon detect if they were opened. I always mark key areas such as filters, etc, with an ultra violet pen before leaving my car in for servicing

thanks J. B. going to do that for my next service,

mark all, will see what they service.

Even then there are no guarantees. I can remember standing at the parts counter of a main dealer and asked for several service items for a job I was doing. He came back with a piddly 500ml bottle of brake fluid to which I said "that will get used up in the reservoir alone". He said "well that's all we ever use"!!!

I know that a friend went to a garage and when asked what they had done, the said that they had just bled out the fluid from each caliper. How they expected the new fluid to get there beggars belief.

To be sure you need to be very clear in your instructions, stand and watch them or better still, do it yourself.

I've had this happen to me before at a dealer down sarf god knows how many cars they have to get through each day but I bet they are not 100% done to spec. The worst I has was a T dealer swearing blind they had changed the air filter even when I dumped the blackened old one on his service desk.

VW was another funny one I had a personal car Golf and the service interval was every 12,000 miles but my company car a leased golf same engine had a service interval of 25,000 miles! Same car and same dealer they tried to make out it was because they used longer more durable fluids but that was a load of BS.

Anyway back to brake fluid and the mot - your snap bang right that they only test the fluid in the reservoir and that in my view makes it a con. If you want to tell me that my brake fluid is not fit for use do it from the bleed nipple on the caliper.

Well folks

I Contacted " my local toyota dealership " ;), via email with copies of the last 4 services sheets attched from 70'000 ( 2008 ) to 100'000 ( 2011 ) all of which say " Change brake fluid every two years...ticked as N / A "

just had 110'000 done by village garage who highlighted problem.

had Toyota service manager on phone to me today....he didnt know how it got missed.

Tried telling me on some vehicles he has seen brake fluid last 8 or so years ! ! !,at that point i laughed down the phone.

He has offered brake & clutch fluid change...all in £40 as good will gesture

My village garage..all in......£80 ! ! !.........huh......( but i do trust them )

Get the dealer to do it for £40 but tell them you expect a litre of fluid to be used and you want the clutch fluid changing at the same time.

Get the dealer to do it for £40 but tell them you expect a litre of fluid to be used and you want the clutch fluid changing at the same time.

Ok....cheers Don. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links