Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Run In

keelerad

Finished my 1000 miles and all run in, bought some 0W20 from RRG in Macc as Richard the After Sales manager at Macc recommends checking every 1000. Needed 0.5l to get back to the middle between the two holes on the dip stick.

Pictures on facebook here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151037710579143.435817.601834142&type=1 and youtube

Alec

I'm approaching 1000 miles in my GT86 and despite being advised by the salesman that running in wasn't necessary have followed my usual routine (also outlined in the owners manual) of keeping below 4000rpm and not letting the engine labour for the first 1000 miles. What I'm now considering is whether to get Toyota to do a complete oil change or to follow the service instructions and wait until 10000 miles? If anyone has any thoughts on the matter they would be gratefully received.

Modern maching techniques, engine builds, do not require oil changes like old cars did. There is no need to change the oil, but if it makes you feel better, go for it, certainly wont do any harm

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Parts-King, out of interest what are your thoughts (if any) on the recommended grade of oil for the GT? 0W20 is an unusual grade to specify and prior to this I have always used 5W30, is the 0W20 just to allow Toyota to achieve their 'Corporate Average Fuel Economy' or is there a specific reason for its use?

0W 20 is used in a lot of new Toyota's, it has superior fuel economy benefits and used on all the newer Hybrids, GT86, stop start models etc. If you used 5w 30 on it, it would probably kill the MPG

Kingo :thumbsup:

Because of modern designed engines do not need the running in in the old way. But especially diesel enginges will be a lot better after several thousand miles from new before giving their best.