Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Body Flexibility

BobbyPosh

I have had my Prius a month or so and ridden a thousand miles or so. I really like it: the mpg (about 60), the quietness and ease in traffic. This weekend I went from Leeds to Liverpool via Stockport and noticed that the car did slightly strange things on the motorway. When you hit a bump at about 70 mph it is as if the back end doesn't quite come with you immediately and then springs back. I had quite a lot of weight in the boot at that point so I guess that magnified the effect. The M62 between Leeds and Liverpool is particularly bumpy at the Manchester end.

I read a review of the Auris HSD and they said that it is a big improvement on the body Shell of the Prius. Is this what they are talking about? Certainly having had an Avensis and Mazda TS recently, one does notice it. Has any body else noticed it? I suppose it means that really the car is naturally an urban car. That is where it make s the big mpg gains. I can live with this effect (got to!) and I suppose it it is the result of having a heavy Battery in a longish car made with materials that are as light as possible. Is there anything one can do to ameliorate the effect?

Yes you can. You can get chassis stiffeners/brace. However I have only seen them in USA but delivery to the UK would likely not be an issue. Check out prius chat forum and an internet seach and you will find a few options.

I don't know who made that bouncy stretch of motorway just before manchester, but i don't think it was their finest hour.

There is also talk over on prius chat about the facelift gen3 having a stiffer chassis.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links